• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My issue with this is that the ACLU is cherry picking the cases that violate the 2nd amendment (surprise, surprise). Why will they go to bat for the right of a non-citizen to carry a weapon, but will not do the same for a citizen in IL or WI? Why are they not supporting a national right to carry? Seems awfully hypocritical.

I understand your issues with the ACLU. However I am chalking this up to a win for Our Side. 10 years ago would the ACLU even thought of defending any type of Gun Rights Question?! It is a slow process to change the mindset of such a left leaning organization.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If the guy is here legally, then he probably should be able to carry if he meets the same criteria that is required of everyone else. I do not think that everyone in the world should be entitled to Constitutional rights, not even if they make it to our soil. I think we have seen that that does not work out well for us in several areas. The Preamble of the Constitution says "to ourselves and our posterity" not everyone everywhere.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    She can not vote.
    She is not allowed to hold an elected office.
    She is allowed to receive a limited amount of public assistance with stipulations on how to qualify for it...

Why should a Legal Immigrant be punished for going through the appropriate process to come here... :dunno:

What "punishments" are inflected on non citizens?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What "punishments" are inflected on non citizens?

For a Resident Alien. The same exact Punishments that apply to you and I...

The only 2 differences that I can think of off the top of my head are the fact that they are not allowed any part of the election process, and have no compulsion to Military Service.

A Resident Alien is not the same as a Illegal Immigrant. I have less time for Border Hoppers than most.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    how is this a bad thing??? the aclu is pretty powerful and has good lawyers...

i say :+1: to the ACLU for getting into gun rights...

imagine what they would do if we hit them with a --- thank you bomb --- that would tell them just how many potential members they have out there...

for me,,,i like having gun rights a lot more than i like keeping gays from adopting...

Last edited:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    For a Resident Alien. The same exact Punishments that apply to you and I...

The only 2 differences that I can think of off the top of my head are the fact that they are not allowed any part of the election process, and have no compulsion to Military Service.

A Resident Alien is not the same as a Illegal Immigrant. I have less time for Border Hoppers than most.

I don't see voting as a "punishment" .

I just don't think rights should be infered to non citizens that chose to not be legal citizens.

They are just legal vistors.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

I just don't think rights should be infered to non citizens that chose to not be legal citizens.

i cant believe youre arguing against gun rights... land of the free...when a person hits america,,,let them enjoy the taste of freedom!!!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Actually Resident Aliens are neither Citizens or Non-Citizens they are a group in the middle.

Voting and Registering for Selective Service are Privileges of the Citizen.

Resident Aliens Pay every single Tax that you and I pay to live here. They have met a stricter bar than you and I to be here. They are often sacrificing a lot of to come here.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    In my opinion, the ACLU is pulling a pretty slick manuever, and setting a little trap.

The left, of which the ACLU is certainly a part, believes - and certainly tries to portray - that the right is anti-immigrant.

By supporting the right of legal resident non-citizens to carry concealed, they hope to expose the right as anti-immigrant.

Legal resident aliens are people we let live and work here. With the exception of a few rights and priveleges granted only to citizens, like voting, they should have the same rights as anyone else living here.

You are born with the right to self-defense. We shouldn't arbitrarily take it away.

BTW, legal resident aliens as a group are less likely to commit a crime than the average U.S. citizen.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    This is the second time that I've heard of the ACLU defending gun rights. I heard the head of the ACLU in an interview a year or so ago where he defended gun rights. While I often disagree with the stance the ACLU takes on many things, I don't see how this is a bad thing. The courts long ago ruled that legal residents have a right to gun ownership (I'll have to find that cite!), and I know several legal non-citizen residents who own guns. Legal residents have done everything legally, and most often are NOT on welfare or public assistance. They are not a drain on our infrastructure or resources any more than natural born citizens, so they should be able to exercise their natural right to defend themselves.

I would note that most of the legal residents I know HATE illegals even more than I do. I suppose it's because they know first-hand the legal hoops they personally had to jump through to get here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I don't think no matter if you tattoo it across this guys face "immigrant" that even people in the deep south are going to think of this guy as an immigrant. They may think of him as a flaming queerosexual, but not an immigrant..

So to whoever said about the aclu taking this as making the right looking anti-illegal immigrant you're full of crap.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Yes he's British.
    Yes he's here legally.
    Yes he should become a citizen as he does know his way around this idea.
    Maybe the state overlooked this point and will amend it now they have an issue in front of them. A distinction in the law allowing legal residents with even a term restriction like 10 years residence would not be unreasonable.

Do any of you recall that Indiana law recognizes the license or permit to carry issued by any state or country?

To many of us here and across the country are letting this state aclu chapter divide and split us once again to our detriment.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    A "legal permanent resident" is not the same as an illegal alien. Gunowners should be backing this guy if we believe what we say we do.
    But the ACLU and an immigrant (some people are reading Mexican) are involved. The priority is to always trash talk something.

I'll be keeping an eye on this since I've seen it come up a couple times now (here and elsewhere).

I think dross is hitting the nail on the head with this.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why would any gun owner not support expanding gun rights?

• Every human being has a right to self-defense.
    • Immigrants are often living in dangerous areas and need protection.
    • Gun Control leaves law-abiding people defenseless.
    • Gun Control laws are ignored by violent Badguys.
    • Selective gun ownership means we get licensing and restricted carry.
    • Selective gun ownership means we get licensing of sellers and tight rules on FFLs.
    • Selective gun ownership means we get restrictions on private sales.
    • Selective gun ownership means we get ATF agents breathing down our neck.
    • Selective gun ownership means we get reporting/monitoring of gun purchases.
    • The government has no constitutional power to restrict gun ownership.
    • Gun Control provides a false sense of security for sheep who believe in it.
    • Incremental Gun Control is the objective of government.
    • Laws like this give police their flaky excuse to check our weapons and our IDs while we mind our own business.
    • Bans on arbitrary things for arbitrary people are what Nanny Statism is all about.
    • Lose your ignorant delusion that every foreigner is in a drug cartel.
    • The first gun control in America was on non-citizens (slaves).

How can freedom spread across the world if we restrict foreigners from experiencing it??

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    state ACLU != national ACLU

ACLU in Texas has also been know to file pro-gun suits.

Top Bottom