• ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Everytime I load, I seem to end out with further questions. So sorry about that. I’m getting better but have a feeling this is going to take a long time to be happy with my loads.

I was using 124 RNHB Berry’s Bullets.

I thought i would try the acme bullets to save a few buck and see how they work.

I’m noticing that in my case gauge, everything looks fine. Then when I go to do the plunk test on my P10f barrel, if does go in fine. But it is just a hair higher than the Berrys bullets. I haven’t tried to shoot them yet but can’t figure that out.

I measure every single cartridge and lengthwise they should be the same. I need to check the diameter of the acme to the Berry’s.

Has anyone come across this and is this anything I should even spend my time worrying about?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Any round nose that is close to 1.169 OAL and not over should feed fine in anything. I do not make separate ammo for pistols, SAAMI spec and shoot it in everything.

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    All CZ's have to be loaded short..OAL 1.120 is what I run . I have shadow 2, p10c, p10f , p09, all run great. Aszerigan is absolutely correct, all profiles are different. So seating depth is key for CZ...Never get discouraged just keep loading. Also going from berry bullets (plated) to a poly coated , your powder charge will be less due to poly bullets drag in bullets.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I thought i would try the acme bullets
    Which Acme projectiles did you get? It is dependent on the projectile used and the chamber dimensions. CZ have a notoriously short chamber.

Berrys gives loading tips on their site. I didn't find any loading info at Acme.
    1711409882070.png

Also what powder as it's somewhat powder mfgr. dependent as well. Check powder supplier's data too.
    All CZ's have to be loaded short..OAL 1.120 is what I run . I have shadow 2, p10c, p10f , p09, all run great. Aszerigan is absolutely correct, all profiles are different. So seating depth is key for CZ...Never get discouraged just keep loading. Also going from berry bullets (plated) to a poly coated , your powder charge will be less due to poly bullets drag in bullets.
    I bought some Hornady XTP 124 grain 9 mm that I had to take them down to 1.095 (Hodgdon lists 1.060 COAL for an XTP) fit in the CZ. For me, and those bullets 1.010 was touching the lands in my 75 d compact PCR.

Go with what fits in your chamber and does not touch the lands.

Last edited:

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I read that info about Berrys and did use it.

The Acme
    Which Acme projectiles did you get? It is dependent on the projectile used and the chamber dimensions. CZ have a notoriously short chamber.

Berrys gives loading tips on their site. I didn't find any loading info at Acme.
    View attachment 342525

Also what powder as it's somewhat powder mfgr. dependent as well. Check powder supplier's data too.

I bought some Hornady XTP 124 grain 9 mm that I had to take them down to 1.095 (Hodgson lists 1.060 COAL for an XTP) fit in the CZ. For me, and those bullets 1.010 was touching the lands in my 75 d compact PCR.

Go with what fits in your chamber and does not touch the lands.

Thank you so much! I put the acme loads that I did and tried to run them through to see if any problems. The very first one froze and I couldn’t even pull slide to eject it. Worked with it for awhile and got it out.

Took 50 of the loads back to the RC and for some reason I didn’t read that last note you made where you said bring it down to what works with your chamber. So I brought those 50 down to 1.095. Those did cycle through fine.

I need to go back and see what the greatest distance is that is even with the lands.

Thank you very much!

I haven’t fired any of them yet. But it looks better already.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So what do you do if you buy ammo at the store? Factory fmj or round nose 9mm is nowhere near that short. I have only had one CZ, a 75, and it shot commercial ammo just fine.

If my ammo is not right at 1.169, that means I am loading a hollow point or a flat point. Then I measured from the ogive.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OAL varies by bullet profile. Do you have a chrono? What’s your velocity spread? Tune your OAL (shorter) to drop your spreads.
    To put a finer point on this, he is referring to the ogive. Thats a fun rabbit hole to go down.

Basically it refers to how fast a bullet's profile curves into a point. So if you tried to seat a typical round nose and a hollow point at the same OAL (yes, this is an extreme example) the wider part of the bullet of the HP will be farther forward and hit the chamber wall, preventing the round from chambering all the way.

Imagine trying to shove a size 10 wide foot into a size 10 narrow show. Although your foot OAL is the same, if you try to shove your foot into the shoe, your big and little toes are going to hit the sides of the toe box before your heel can go into the shoe. Yet there is still plenty of room in front of your toes in the shoe.

When I switched to target flat points, my first reloading session was a disaster. I think I was running the Round Noses at 1.115 OAL. The flat points wouldnt even begin to chamber. The proper OAL due to the RN tip being "missing" was 1.07. :facepalm:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    So what do you do if you buy ammo at the store? Factory fmj or round nose 9mm is nowhere near that short. I have only had one CZ, a 75, and it shot commercial ammo just fine.

If my ammo is not right at 1.169, that means I am loading a hollow point or a flat point. Then I measured from the ogive.
    FMJRN it’s kind of the exception to most of the other bullet profiles. They will fit and run through almost every gun at saami specs.

Flat nose, and other designs fit differently, so you have to tweak them. Follow the data for bullet type.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    All CZ's have to be loaded short..OAL 1.120 is what I run
    ALL my 9mm is under 1.110. 115, 124, 147, they're all short.

The enemy of consistency is loose air in a cartridge under the bullet. That's where you get velocity spread. The less room, the more consistent the ammo. That's across the board, rifle and pistol.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    ALL my 9mm is under 1.110. 115, 124, 147, they're all short.

The enemy of consistency is loose air in a cartridge under the bullet. That's where you get velocity spread. The less room, the more consistent the ammo. That's across the board, rifle and pistol.
    I have no problem with that as every State & National Award I won with with a rifle was a Compressed load of stick powder.

Just for something to ponder, how do we explain all those high X count perfect scores on Conventional Bullseye targets? They were shot with soft, waxy wadcutters pushed with 2.7 grains of bullseye powder in a .38spl case. If you don't have a flashlight, you could not even see the powder in the case. Even with the bullet seated flush, the case was plenty roomy, but it worked. Also, the military shooting teams shot match ammo with ball powder that did not fill the case when we still shot 7.62.

PS: are you really loading 124 and 147 RN to less than 1.110? What is happening with pressure? That has to be going up significantly. Are you doing that for customer ammo?

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have no problem with that as every State & National Award I won with with a rifle was a Compressed load of stick powder.

Just for something to ponder, how do we explain all those high X count perfect scores on Conventional Bullseye targets? They were shot with soft, waxy wadcutters pushed with 2.7 grains of bullseye powder in a .38spl case. If you don't have a flashlight, you could not even see the powder in the case. Even with the bullet seated flush, the case was plenty roomy, but it worked.

PS: are you really loading 124 and 147 RN to less than 1.110? What is happening with pressure? That has to be going up significantly. Are you doing that for customer ammo?
    Long case isn't the same as short case. Big difference between auto and revolver. Can't argue with the 2.7gn Bullseye load. Those guys knew how to win trophies and I certainly can't argue with that.

And yeah, all my 9mm runs between 1.060 (115gn) and 1.100 (147gn). I run CFE pistol at 1.090 in my 147 subsonic through my machineguns. Cycles, it's subsonic, and it's clean. YMMV.

Reactions: Leo

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    To clarify, @Leo, you're absolutely correct in revolver loading. I don't mean to overstep.

The beauty of a revolver cartridge is the bulk of the gun. If you get a small powder flash detonation, a Ruger Blackhawk can handle it. A Smith 686 is going to be fine.

The modern semi's aren't designed to run the low powder to full power gamete, so the ol' boys (like me) running the puff loads in a revolver for bullseye shooting - that's a different game than the ammo I carry in my EDC HK. You're absolutely right about the empty space in the target loads on a revolver. That's the nature of 38/357 etc loading. I was only talking about the 9mm which doesn't play well with internal air.

Just wanted to clarify.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne

My factory ammo usually runs fine.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Do they chamber fine from the mag? If so, run ‘em.

OAL varies by bullet profile. Do you have a chrono? What’s your velocity spread? Tune your OAL (shorter) to drop your spreads.
    After I reduced them they chambered from the mag. But originally no they didn’t.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Top Bottom