• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    I'm a new member, and have found a ton of information just browsing the archives. This section in particular has some great info that has cleared up a handful of legal and scenario questions for me - so thanks!! :patriot:

I've cc'd for several years, but have done so much more consistently recently, basically always at this point. I also am an avid fisherman and fish at several corps of engineer lakes. I fish for fun and also in a few tournaments. Honestly, launching and loading my boat is one of the times that can make me nervous. There is a surprising amount of crime at some of the out of the way ramps, usually just breaking into cars, trucks, or boats but I've heard of much worse. It's certainly a crime target due to the thousands of dollars just in gear that some of us carry.

Question is, what are the carry rules that would apply to driving into a property, launching your boat, fishing, and driving back out. The ACOE lakes seem to be a gray area but it's tough to know what they actually own or control. Most have state parks as well...I believe there are 8 in Indiana - Brookville, Racoon, Cataract, Monroe, Patoka, Salamonie, Mississinewa, Roush

My preference would be to carry at all times, secure my gun in a dry area of the boat, and re-arm before stepping on land. Thoughts?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    If it is concealed then who is going to know? Every time you have to unholster and hoslter the odds of something bad happening increases. Keep it concealed, no one knows, and everyone is safer.

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks...Again, I'm new here but I think the saying goes 'concealed means concealed' or something like that. I agree with the philosophy.

But I'm also interested in what the law actually states regarding carrying before, after, or on the water on these lakes. I just can't find a black and white answer.

Most of the time I'm in tshirts and shorts, and the dnr guys just love to pull us over. I would put off a pretty good print bending over to dig out licenses, life jackets, etc out of the boat during a dnr check with close supervision.

Btw, I'm not talking about ever un-holstering the gun. I would take the entire holster off and stash it in a dry compartment. Same way I take it off at night, or put it on in the morning. Safety isn't the issue here (well, it's always an issue, but not in that regard).

Last edited:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Unless they got it passed without it making the news (and it was in the news for months when proposed) ACoE properties are exactly the same as the post office, federal property with no carry , for the average person. It sucks, but there's many other outdoor areas to explore and places to fish. And that's Federal Law not IN law. I do not advocate carrying in contrast with the law, policies of private business sure, but definitely not federal law.

http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdata/ops/recnres/title36.pdf

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    327.8 Hunting, fishing, and trapping.
    (a) Hunting is permitted except in areas and during periods where prohibited by the District Commander.
    (b) Trapping is permitted except in areas and during periods where prohibited by the District Commander.(c) Fishing is permitted except in swimming areas, on boat ramps or other areas designated by the District Commander.
    (d) Additional restrictions pertaining to these activities may be established by the District Commander.
    (e) All applicable Federal, State and local laws regulating these activities apply on project lands and waters, and shall be regulated by authorized enforcement officials as prescribed in Sec. 327.26.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    If it is concealed then who is going to know? Every time you have to unholster and hoslter the odds of something bad happening increases. Keep it concealed, no one knows, and everyone is safer.

Yes, the CC method works very well for schools and court houses as well, but I believe the OP is trying to remain within the law.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Unless they got it passed without it making the news (and it was in the news for months when proposed) ACoE properties are exactly the same as the post office, federal property with no carry , for the average person. It sucks, but there's many other outdoor areas to explore and places to fish. And that's Federal Law not IN law. I do not advocate carrying in contrast with the law, policies of private business sure, but definitely not federal law.

http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdata/ops/recnres/title36.pdf

Exactly. If you are that worried then go somewhere else you can legally carry.

Top Bottom