• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The safety selector issue would drive me nuts, probably would let my primative instincts take over and Dremel that thing!:D
    I plan on calling up BM to find out how much they will sell me a replacement for. If it's available and only $10 or so, I will take a Dremel to mine. It's that annoying.

Jim Himself

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    ...There is a traditional loop sling attachment point at the rear of both rifles, although I do find the location of the ACR's (at the bottom) to be a bit odd. Given the location of the quick detach points, if used, the sling mounting point at the bottom of the stock would cause the rifle to want to naturally hang up-side-down.

Regarding your right arm you can run a sling over it, or under it - then opposite the other arm. The bottom mount works better if you choose under the right arm/over the left. There are pros and cons to running a 2 pt sling each way. The more options on the gun, the better since it all comes down to individual operator preference. In this regard I would say advantage ACR.

If you run your 2 pt over the right arm, there are also advantages to running the attachment point on the right side (outside) of the stock. It forces the rifle up against you when unshouldered and chokes you less when you transistion to left handed shooting without unslinging. Hopefully the ACR mount is actually reversible, but a double sided attachment would be better. Obviously with the SCAR, there are no distinct advantages or disadvantages for mounting at a 12 o'clock position - this is also what some people prefer.

Like I said, everything has a tradeoff and individual operator preference is what matters, so a gun should have max options.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have the SCAR, and have held the ACR. My personal preference should be obvious since I own one and not the other. Even after purchasing, I have had no problems with my SCAR and everyone else that shoots it, absolutely loves everything about it (except the price). As for the ACR, I have heard, and now seen on here a lot of issues with it. Very glad that I did not spend money on it. If anyone wants to ask me to go shooting and test drive my SCAR, they are more then able too, Just provide the rounds and maybe help with my gas money ;) . I have the 5.56 one, but it has fired every type of 5.56 and .223 round that I have feed it with no problems or hiccups.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Another SCAR 16 owner here.

I handeled both quite a bit. I have to say the controls on the ACR get in the way and dont feel natural to me. The SCAR is totally ambi without getting in the way and its very intuitive on how it opperates. It has kind of a funky, almost a rocking feeling, recoil impulse but its very easy to get used to. The only problem Ive ever had is that it doesnt care muh for Magpul Pmags. The bolt sometimes doesnt lock open. But I bought some Magpul Emag (made for European style rifles) and It likes those just fine.

Ive never shot an ACR and after handling one I dont really want to.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have yet to find an ACR owner locally that will let me shoot their rifle.

I am not suprised that all of the promises made by Bushmaster were not kept. 6.8 and 300blk still are vaporware.

I ultimately ended up with the 17 and I couldn't be happier.

I still want to shoot an ACR so I can have an informed opnion however.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    DOH! I made some popcorn and settled in to watch this video and NOTHING. It's pulled! Then I noticed the date. Tricked by TurnAndShoot.

I remember looking at the ACR before Bushmaster got their grubby hands on it. It looks like a bunch of unfulfilled promises now. I think I'd opt for the SCAR platform.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am not suprised that all of the promises made by Bushmaster were not kept. 6.8 and 300blk still are vaporware.

Heck, alternative barrel lengths and profiles in 5.56 are still vaporware! And according to several sources at Remington/BM, complete barrel assemblies will run in excess of $500 whenever they are released. :xmad:

I sold my ACR last year, and have never regretted it.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    the SCAR 17 is on my short list for a .308 semi that I will be getting this summer... it's in the running with a handful of others.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    For a .308 I would want the SCAR 17S because it just feels better than another other semi auto .308. An LMT is almost 2 lbs heavier.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Agree on wanting a SCAR 17. When I get the funds, that will be my first .308. I will still want an M1A, but I have been wanting one of those since I was a kid. Can never have too many quality firearms.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Heck, alternative barrel lengths and profiles in 5.56 are still vaporware! And according to several sources at Remington/BM, complete barrel assemblies will run in excess of $500 whenever they are released. :xmad:

I sold my ACR last year, and have never regretted it.

I feel your pain. When FN finally releases barrel assemblies they will be over $700.

What are your thoughts on the new rifle designs more than a year later?

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I agree my LMT MWS is not light, but it is an awesome shooting gun. I am still kicking around the idea on a SCAR 17 as well, but the cheek weld just did not seem to fit me that great...

I almost traded my LMT toward a LWRC REPR, but could not justify over $1k more and it really did not feel worth that much more if any...

Mark

For a .308 I would want the SCAR 17S because it just feels better than another other semi auto .308. An LMT is almost 2 lbs heavier.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I agree my LMT MWS is not light, but it is an awesome shooting gun. I am still kicking around the idea on a SCAR 17 as well, but the cheek weld just did not seem to fit me that great...

I almost traded my LMT toward a LWRC REPR, but could not justify over $1k more and it really did not feel worth that much more if any...

Mark

They are making another stock for the SCAR now, with an adjustable butt stock as well as adjustable cheek weld. I have a picture off their web site, have it as the background on my computer.

FNH USA

Ok, actually slightly different SCAR, as I had not seen this one before, but since you can swap most the parts on them, might be able to with this one. hmmm, looks like I'll be calling FN when I get a couple bucks.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Dang you! Now I have something else that I need to add to the wish list! I have not seen that before, but I have a feeling that I will not want to see the price tag...

Mark

They are making another stock for the SCAR now, with an adjustable butt stock as well as adjustable cheek weld. I have a picture off their web site, have it as the background on my computer.

FNH USA

Ok, actually slightly different SCAR, as I had not seen this one before, but since you can swap most the parts on them, might be able to with this one. hmmm, looks like I'll be calling FN when I get a couple bucks.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

FNH USA

Dang you! Now I have something else that I need to add to the wish list! I have not seen that before, but I have a feeling that I will not want to see the price tag...

Mark

Don't get your hopes up, this is still vaporware.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Mark

You and me both. Looks amazing. I cant wait to see

Top Bottom