Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Joe, What is the reason for requiring a pistol to be 9MM/38 special or larger?

Rhino and the others are teaching a first aid class today and may be awhile before they get to the computer.

Because as a company we believe that these calibers are smallest caliber necessary for defending ones self with a pistol. One shot stops with and hand held weapon are difficult and we feel 9mm and .38 special are the place to begin.

Also some folks have asked about using a .22 for this class to keep ammo cost down but we believe these drills need to be run with the gun and ammunition that will be used in the actual defense of your self and others. While we understand cost management as well as the next guy we feel this is not the place to do it.

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Registration will be sent out today, thanks shooter1054 for the heads up on this course!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Joe, What is the reason for requiring a pistol to be 9MM/38 special or larger?

Sorry for the delay.

As Coach mentioned, 9mm/.38 special is the minimum we feel adequate for defensive use. Obviously you can kill with much smaller calibers, but the goal of defending yourself is to eliminate the threat's ability to harm you. Subcalibers are less likely to be as efficient in accomplishing that task in the amount of time you're likely to have.

Can you use subcalibers for defense? Sure, especially if that's all you've got, but there are better choices. This is even more true if heavy clothing is worn by someone who is trying to harm you.

Another issue is the mechanics of the pistols themselves. With the exception of .22 conversions, most subcaliber pistols do not lend themselves to efficient use of the reloading and malfunction clearing techniques we teach. Physical size, position of magazine release, lack of a manually-appliable slide lock, etc. are all issues with small guns.

For example, in the past we've had Sig Sauer P230s in class, which is a .380 and not that small. One of the issues with that gun (other than caliber) is that it's difficult or impossible to manually lock the slide open. By contrast, nearly all modern pistols in 9mm and larger have controls that allow us to do what we need to do as efficiently as possible.

I hope that answers your question. I'm sure obijohn will post if he has something to add.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is this like an "Intro to your Firearm" class or is it a Pistol Self Defense Training Course?

No, our "intro" class is BP100 "Basic Pistol."

This is our first class that deals specifically with the handgun for defensive use. From the original message (reproduced below), you can see what some of the topics are:

WHAT: DP101 - Intro Defensive Pistol
    WHEN: 13AUG11 - 0900-1600

WHERE: Marion County Fish and Game
    TUITION: $155 (MCF&G members receive $10 discount)
    INSTRUCTOR: John Viray, assisted by ACT staff
    Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

DP101 is a one-day class intended to introduce students to the use of their handgun for the effective and efficient defense of themselves and others. Class includes both lecture portion and live fire drills conducted on the range. Among the topics and skills addressed will be:

· Why we do it!
    · Range safety and safe gun handling
    · OODA Loop, attitude, and awareness
    · Weapon systems, ammunition, and carry methods
    · How threats may be stopped using a handgun
    · Shot placement to improve odds for stopping a threat
    · Fundamentals of marksmanship, grip, and stance
    · Drawstroke and presentation
    · Movement
    · Reloads
    · Malfunction clearance
    · Shooting with one hand

Gear List

· A good attitude
    · Eye protection
    · Hearing protection (electronic earmuffs are the best)
    · Serviceable handgun, preferably 9mm or .38 special or larger
    · Ammunition (400 to 500 rounds)
    · Magazines or speed loaders, minimum of five (5) – MORE IS BETTER
    · Strong side holster that covers the trigger guard and allows reholstering with one hand
    · Spare ammo carrier
    · Sturdy belt that will support the holstered handgun and spare ammunition
    · Hat with brim
    · Clothing appropriate for light activity and the season (rain gear is a good idea too)
    · Fluids and snacks if desired (hotdog lunch will be served; water will be available)

TO REGISTER, SEND EMAIL TO ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:

John@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I'm interested in the class.

1. Is there still room?
    2. Due to where the class is I assume there will be no drawing from the holster?

Thanks in advance.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Fantastic class and no rain! As always, ACT delivered the information in a way that is easy to understand and then gives immediate opportunity to put that information into practice. A great day at the range. Thanks!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks, Patti. You performed quite well throughout the day. I think that you should get the controls on that fine pistol adjusted to fit your needs ASAP.

To all in the class: You all performed well and ACT looks forward to the next time we train together.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    First Step

A thank you must go out to ACT, MCFG and the other participants in the class. Material was presented, executed and critiqued professionally. I am looking forward to the Next Step in my development.

Thanks ACT,

TwinSix

And too... No Rain.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks, TwinSix. I'm excited that you see the need to continue to train. The next step in our series is DP201. Regardless of where you train, or with whom, continue to train!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    A great class! Thanks to John, ACT and the other class members. It's great to be able to learn not only from the instructor, but to share with and learn from other students.

The Bambi Burgers were delicious, Joe!

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Excellent course John! I'll definitely be taking away some things to work on to improve my skills. Can't recommend this course enough.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom