• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Our Low Light class has been rescheduled for 26 DECEMBER 2009. If you're interested in participating, please contact me via email at Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com.

EVENT: DP205 – Low Light Skills
    DATE: 26 DECEMBER 2009
    INSTRUCTOR: Joseph Viray, assisted by ACT staff
    TUITION: $125
    PREREQUISITES: DP101 (or equivalent); instructor approval REQUIRED
    DESCRIPTION:

“Low Light Skills” will focus defensive techniques applied to low light or total darkness situations. The class will focus on the use of modern, high intensity flashlights and their applications to defensive use. Topics will include acquisition of information, use of handheld flashlights both with and without firearms, use of weapon-mounted flashlights, use of supplemental sighting devices (e.g. lasers), use of tritium night sights, etc.

** PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS WILL INCLUDE LIVE FIRE DRILLS. **

Class: DP205 - Low Light Skills
    Location: Riley Conservation Club (near Terre Haute, IN) - www.rileycc.com
    Date: Saturday - 26 DECEMBER 2009
    Time: 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:

1:00 - 4:00 pm: Introduction, lecture, indoor demos and practice with lights and inert weapon replicas
    4:00 - 5:00 pm: Break for dinner (we'll be serving our usual "gourmet hot dog lunch" as dinner)
    5:00 - 6:00 pm: Warm-ups and some drills on the range while there is enough light to see
    6:00 - 9:00 pm: Low light live fire drills (live fire ceases no later than 10:00 pm)
    9:00 pm: Debriefing

GEAR LIST:
    • Reliable, high-intensity handheld light; lanyard recommended
    • Back-up light (optional)
    • Spare batteries (recommended)
    • Spare lamps (if your light uses incandescent lamps)
    • Low intensity "task light" for navigation and checking targets (optional)
    • Weapon-mounted light (optional)
    • Inert replica of your pistol if you have one (e.g "Blue Gun" or similar that fits your holster)
    • Concealment garment (optional)
    • Pistol, caliber consistent with defensive needs
    • 300-500 rounds of ammunition (how much you need depends on how much you choose to fire)
    • 3 or more magazines or speed loaders. More is better to avoid delays on the line.
    • Magazine or speed loader carriers
    • Belt holster that covers the trigger guard and allows one handed holstering
    • Pistol belt
    • Eye and ear protection. Electronic muffs or vented earplugs suggested allowing
    • easier hearing of range commands.
      [*]Billed cap
      [*]Please dress appropriately for outdoor activities according to the weather and allow

for moderate physical activity. We will shoot, rain or shine, so consider bringing rain
      gear.
      [*]You may consider bringing snacks and fluids for the day. Snack bars or power bars

are great to keep in your shooting bag. Water or a combination of water and sport
      drinks work best. ACT will provide a hotdog dinner (hotdogs, chips and cookies) and
      bottled water throughout the day.

For more information or to register, please contact us via email at:

Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    John@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Or visit our web site at: www.AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We still have room in the class, so let me know if you're interested. The end of December will be here soon!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whew! We finally got it done after all of the postponements. For those who stuck with us through all of that, I greatly appreciate your understanding and patience.

Thank you to all of you who joined us for the day and evening. I hope we met your expectations and that you came away with some new things to consider, practice, and implement in your overall plans.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It was an eye opening class. Funny how the things you think you know and practice don't necessarily always work as expected. In the real dark, with live fire using cover and moving as you must, the complication of using the light is very evident.

The scheduling wasn't the first choice, but in hindsight, it couldn't have worked any better. Do you know how how your light and sights will work coming out from under heavy cloths? I do. Do you know how to holster your gun without collecting those cloths along with it? I do. Do you know how your light and sights will work not only in the dark, but in a heavy falling snow? I do.

Barrn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Plainfield
    I agree with bw. It was an eye opener. I now have some additional skills to practice and I need make some adjustments to some of my equipment and techniques.

I learned a lot. The guys at ACT put on a good class.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm very glad to know it was a good experience for you guys. You brought excellent attitudes to the class, which makes our job a lot easier.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Trying to draw both FL and gun, while moving to cover, from concealment cothing was an eye opener. Getting good hits and using your noggin was also a task, especially when you throw in a needed reload.

Great class, and great opportunity to shoot in the conditions we were dealt.

selynn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I just want to thank Obi - Rhino and Coach for another GREAT ACT class. The information was pertinent and presented professionally. The weather was COLD and DARK - which made it like a "real" life situation. We only really get better when we train on what we are NOT good at.** and I now have a lot more things I need to add to my training. Thanks again Guys.
    :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks, Steve! I'm glad it was a good experience for you too. I continue to be impressed by the progress that you and Bryce have made since we met you. Keep up the good work!

Fenway ... my brother tried to take some photos, but the ambient conditions made it difficult. I don't know if any produced any good images. The big problem was the snow; it reflected the flash back at the camera. On the other hand, the snow made it possible to see where the lasers were going because the flakes relected their light as well. We usually can't see the "beam" of a laser, but we sure could Saturday night.

river ... we'll do it again! That's the good thing about this endeavor ... we can have as much fun as we want because we can always make more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tied up a perfect para-cord light lanyard. It allows me to "drop" the light for support hand use, yet keeps it close for a non fumbling rapid redeployment. All the while, the light is not tied to my wrist, it pulls away freely.

:yesway:Good stuff rhino!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I tied up a perfect para-cord light lanyard. It allows me to "drop" the light for support hand use, yet keeps it close for a non fumbling rapid redeployment. All the while, the light is not tied to my wrist, it pulls away freely.

I'm glad it worked for you!

I also suspected you would appreciate the "easy off" aspect since you've spent some time with Mercop. Sometimes getting caught on or by something is as bad or worse than losing it in the first place, so a lanyard set up to retain your gear when you want, but allows you to detach yourself quickly seems like a good idea.

I adapted the idea from some things Granger taught be about using a lanyard with a knife a few years ago. He's SMART!

Top Bottom