• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I was thinking next year you might incorporate some different shooting positions. I bet shooting from prone, off the back, or lying down behind a barrel or two will require a little more creativity vwith how the lights are oriented to see sights and targets. Especially the last one.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I was thinking next year you might incorporate some different shooting positions. I bet shooting from prone, off the back, or lying down behind a barrel or two will require a little more creativity vwith how the lights are oriented to see sights and targets. Especially the last one.

+1

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm thinking of bringing one of your cheater guns with fancy electronics next year...

I only cheat to compensate for being old and frail and lacking in skill. But for reference:

In combat, there are no rules: Always Cheat. Always Win. The only unfair gun fight is the one you lose.

(From the commonly posted "Rules for Gunfighting")

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    In addition to the various shooting positions I mentioned before I had another idea. I think a demonstration of varoius methods of light discipline might be in order. (By this I mean keeping the light on when you want it on, and off when you want it off and in a deliberate way. I'm going to call it "light discipline" because I don't know what else to call it.) I was thinking about this while driving this evening. Is it better to turn the light off when you move? You conceal your position this way, but also lose track of your opponent. Or, once you've identified and located a specific threat, might it be better to keep the light on them and maintain visual contact in case he changes position?

In the figure 8 drill most students turned the light on for searching and shooting, then turned the light off after making a hit. Most turned the light off if they hadn't made a hit to reposition or reload. They turned the light back on to search for the target again. Some changed position in that time, others did not. Sometimes the light was left on to search while moving.

It might be worthwhile to have a demonstration of a preferred method, and some alternative methods of maintaining light discipline. I think it would be worthwihle for students to see this from both sides of the light. It would be interesting to see what your opponent will see when you're using the light and moving around using different techniques. A discussion of search techniques could fit in there as well.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In addition to the various shooting positions I mentioned before I had another idea. I think a demonstration of varoius methods of light discipline might be in order. (By this I mean keeping the light on when you want it on, and off when you want it off and in a deliberate way. I'm going to call it "light discipline" because I don't know what else to call it.) I was thinking about this while driving this evening. Is it better to turn the light off when you move? You conceal your position this way, but also lose track of your opponent. Or, once you've identified and located a specific threat, might it be better to keep the light on them and maintain visual contact in case he changes position?

In the figure 8 drill most students turned the light on for searching and shooting, then turned the light off after making a hit. Most turned the light off if they hadn't made a hit to reposition or reload. They turned the light back on to search for the target again. Some changed position in that time, others did not. Sometimes the light was left on to search while moving.

It might be worthwhile to have a demonstration of a preferred method, and some alternative methods of maintaining light discipline. I think it would be worthwihle for students to see this from both sides of the light. It would be interesting to see what your opponent will see when you're using the light and moving around using different techniques. A discussion of search techniques could fit in there as well.

Good suggestion!

We did some of that the first time we did the class. We spent 3-4 hours inside the clubhouse for lecture, and then for practicing with the lights either without a gun or with an inert replica. We had some wall sections to simulate rooms and hallways and practiced moving around and talking about the advantages and disadvantages of how much light to use and when.

When and how much light to use is very situation dependent, and it's usually a trade-off. I still think turning the lights on in your house when there is trouble has a lot of merit!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom