Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    EVENT: DP205 – Low Light Skills
    DATE: 24 October 2009
    INSTRUCTOR: Joseph Viray, assisted by ACT staff
    TUITION: $125
    PREREQUISITES: DP101 (or equivalent); instructor approval REQUIRED
    DESCRIPTION:

“Low Light Skills” will focus defensive techniques applied to low light or total darkness situations. The class will focus on the use of modern, high intensity flashlights and their applications to defensive use. Topics will include acquisition of information, use of handheld flashlights both with and without firearms, use of weapon-mounted flashlights, use of supplemental sighting devices (e.g. lasers), use of tritium night sights, etc.

** PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS WILL INCLUDE LIVE FIRE DRILLS. **

Equipment list and other details will follow.

For more information or to register, please contact us via email at:

Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    John@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Or visit our web site at: www.AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Those wanting to work on real world training in low light situations need to get signed up for this class. This class is a great value for those without a place to shoot in the dark. Contrary to popular belief Terre Haute is not East St. Louis. Your spot in the class will not be held until the deposit is received, so do not put it off. Hope to see you there.

ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    If you've been considering doing this class, but have not yet contacted me, please do so as soon as possible. As Coach mentioned, we're not holding places without a deposit this time. If I don't know you and your capabilities, I will be asking some questions about your training background.

The gear list for this class will be the same for any of our pistol classes, with the addition of at least one reliable, high-intensity flashlight. A back-up and spare batteries are strongly recommended. If you plan to use a weapon-mounted lighted primarily, I request that you also bring a handheld light in case your gun's light is not suitable for use as a handheld. A small, low intensity "task light" like a keychain light will be helpful too for administrative tasks (like checking targets, navigating around the range in the dark, etc.).

If anyone wants suggestions regarding flashlights or wants to know if theirs will be suitable for the class, please feel free to contact me by email and we can discuss. I prefer lights with LED emitters over incandescent lamps, but the latter is fine too. I prefer a minimum of 65-80 lumens, and 125 lumens is about "ideal." Any light you bring should allow for easy manipulation with one hand. Lanyards are good if you have them, and I'll be sharing how I prefer to use them and why.

Joseph Viray (aka rhino)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    We will be limiting the size of this class, so I urge any who are thinking about attending contact Rhino soon. We will be doing some work indoors and will move to the range for the live fire exercises.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Round Count

What's the approximate round count here?

I would bring at least 300 rounds. We are going to be shooting a number of drills. I will be discussing the up coming match with the Rhino tomorrow who is the lead instructor on this and get back with you.

ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    How much ammo you need will depend on how much you choose to shoot during the drills (I tend to let students decide within my guidelines how many rounds they will fire on a given drill). Bring at least 300. If it were me, I'd bring more. If you don't use it all it's not a big deal and it's always better to have too much than not enough (unless you're trying to swim).

Joseph Viray (aka rhino)

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    IM IN! App and check on the way.

Now Im just debating if i "need" a new light. Decisions, decisions...

ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    The class is now just a little over a week away (24OCT09). We should be starting at about 1500 in the clubhouse talking about the general principles, lights, how to use them, etc. We'll do some exercises in the clubhouse with blue guns and our lights. After dinner, we'll adjourn to the range for the live fire exercises (hopefull it will be dark by then!).

If you have not already been confirmed, please let me know as soon as possible if you want to participate in this class. The sooner the better, especially if I don't know you or have direct knowledge of your current skill set.

Joseph Viray (aka rhino)

selynn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Rhino,
    Can you estimate what time the class will end? I am looking forward to it - I even have my extra batteries.
    Steve

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Anyone from the fishers / indy area heading over for this? PM me if you want to carpool!

I would be glad to drive. I have a prius so i am not really looking for gas money, more just someone to chat with to stay awake on the return trip!

ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    RESCHEDULED FOR 26 DECEMBER 2009

To all attending the ACT DP205 "low light techniques" class on Saturday 24OCT09:

Below are 1) my intended schedule for Saturday and 2) a gear list. I apologize for the delay in getting this information to you. If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

Also, we still have some room in the class for more qualified students. If you know anyone who would be interested, please have them contact me by Friday afternoon.

Class: DP205: Low Light Techniques
    Location: Riley Conservation Club (near Terre Haute, IN) - www.rileycc.com
    Date: Saturday 24 October 2009
    Time: 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:

2:00 - 5:00 pm: Introduction, lecture, indoor demos and practice with lights and inert weapon replicas
    5:00 - 6:00 pm: Break for dinner (we'll be serving our usual "gourmet hot dog lunch" as dinner)
    6:00 - 7:00 pm: Warm-ups and some drills on the range while there is enough light to see
    7:00 - 10:00 pm: Low light live fire drills (live fire ceases at 10:00 pm)
    10:00 pm: Debriefing

GEAR LIST:
    • Reliable, high-intensity handheld light; lanyard recommended
    • Back-up light (optional)
    • Spare batteries (recommended)
    • Spare lamps (if your light uses incandescent lamps)
    • Low intensity "task light" for navigation and checking targets (optional)
    • Weapon-mounted light (optional)
    • Inert replica of your pistol if you have one (e.g "Blue Gun" or similar that fits your holster)
    • Concealment garment (optional)
    • Pistol, caliber consistent with defensive needs
    • 300-500 rounds of ammunition (how much you need depends on how much you choose to fire)
    • 3 or more magazines or speed loaders. More is better to avoid delays on the line.
    • Magazine or speed loader carriers
    • Belt holster that covers the trigger guard and allows one handed holstering
    • Pistol belt
    • Eye and ear protection. Electronic muffs or vented earplugs suggested allowing
      easier hearing of range commands.
    • Billed cap
    • Please dress appropriately for outdoor activities according to the weather and allow
      for moderate physical activity. We will shoot, rain or shine, so consider bringing rain
      gear.
    • You may consider bringing snacks and fluids for the day. Snack bars or power bars
      are great to keep in your shooting bag. Water or a combination of water and sport
      drinks work best. ACT will provide a hotdog lunch (hotdogs, chips and cookies) and
      bottled water throughout the day.
    Joseph Viray (aka rhino)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom