• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkKalel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Hello to everyone!

This forum has been a godsend. I have been monitoring this site for greater than six months.

Through this site I have taken classes from Guy Relford's Comprehensive Indiana gun law, DPG's utah CCW permit and ACT private Defensive pistol 101.

I recently took this class last week after having it recommended by another student while in Guy's class. He mentioned, how much ACT had been extremely accomodating to him and his wife despite multiple rescheduling which took place.

As a quick aside, I'm from NWI and attended undergrad at Purdue (Go Boilermakers!). I have studied martial arts (and continue to do so) for 27 years. It actually is what led me on the path to seek to further my ability to defend myself by seeking firearm training. I have attended a number of classes in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio.

In my time in the martial arts I have met many excellent intructors and fighters. The two groups are not always one in the same unfortunately. (in my experience it is rare to find a teacher who is not limited by his or her dogmatic adherence to their way is the ONLY way to practice self defense (i.e. multiple ways to skin a cat), or aware that their physical prowess may not be equaled by their students or have difficulty teaching the non-professional fighter (or in this case non LEO or military)) because of a perceived lack of commitment. I found NONE of this while attending ACT training. Mr. John Viray was one of the most open minded, understanding and well educated persons that I have the pleasure of meeting regarding defending oneself and loved ones.

Its refreshing to hear someone well versed in theory A and theory B, depite they may be at opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to self protection. It may all be useful given the context. To me what they have going down there is similar to Jeet Kune DO /(Jun Fan) during its origins. In that they are trying to take what REALLY works and apply it given what each individual is capable of doing in regards to their physical makeup, mindset, skill level etc.

I must admit, I was quite suprised to find something like this in my backyard. I will definitely being going back routinely. I wholeheartedly recommend to those looking to further their training to seek training at ACT! :rockwoot:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks, DK. I was quite satisfied and encouraged by our time together. Definitely looking forward to our next meeting. Maybe we'll have better weather and be able to get more trigger time. As you found, we take the adaptive portion of our name quite seriously.

Top Bottom