• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    This Wed Feb. 20th, 2013 we will be pushing a resolution through Purdue student government. This will support senate bill 97. We are hoping this helps get it out of the rules committee.

we meet at 7 pm in Krannert G020.

If you
    - work at purdue,
    - Have family that works at purdue
    - have family in attendance of purdue
    Please send them to support this. We are going to need all the help we can get.

Senators | Purdue Student Government also feel free to email the senators if you are a student. feel free to cc me (forbes1@purdue) so I know how many emails they get in support of it.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I appreciate what you are doing. If I was attending Purdue I would definitely be there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    you mean, they might allow students to carry?

I'm not going to hold my breath. The student government has brought this up almost every year that I've been here. It passes as often as it fails and when it passes the University Senate laughs and its DOA.

The issue is the University administrators. They ascribe to the belief that the university police will protect us and a student with a gun will do as much damage as the BG. The University police chief wrote an article last year in which he said that he was against campus carry because he didn't want his officers to arrive to a gun battle and not know who the BG was... This is the attitude we are dealing with here. I will go to support our 2A rights but won't hold my breath on it going anywhere.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Here is the transcript of the bill as will be discussed tomorrow.

PURDUE STUDENT SENATE
    Resolution 12-XX
    “Safe and Free Environment Reform (S.A.F.E.R.)”

Author(s): xx,xx
    Sponsor(s): xx,xx,xx
    Agenda Date: February 20, 2013
    Assigned to:
    Recommendations:
    Action:
    President Pro Tempore: xx
    Student Senate President: xx
    Student Body President: xx

WHEREAS, over 200 college campuses in the United States already allow students in the university setting to carry a handgun for the purpose of self-defense, and [1]

WHEREAS, it is currently only a Purdue University policy that prohibits defensive carrying of handguns despite the fact that the state of Indiana allows its citizens to apply for and receive a license to carry a concealed defensive firearm, and [2]
    WHEREAS,the state of Indiana has very well defined procedures for screening citizens that apply for a license to carry a defensive firearm. Indiana Code 35-47-2-3 describes the obligations of those investigating the suitability of applicants. It states that the investigating officer shall:
    (1) Conduct an investigation into the applicants official records
    (2) Verify the applicants character
    (3) Verify the applicants reputation
    (4) Verify the accuracy of the information contained in the application
    (5) Forward the above information along with the officer’s recommendation for approval or disapproval and one set of legible and classifiable fingerprints to the state police superintendent, and [3]
    WHEREAS, citizens that have been approved by an investigating officer according to the above procedure must be “of good character and reputation” and maintain “proper person” status in order to retain a license to carry a firearm. According to Indiana Code 35-47-1-7, a “Proper person”:
    (1) Does not have a conviction for a crime of domestic violence
    (2) Is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a handgun
    (3) Does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser
    (4) Does not have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that theperson has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct
    (5) Does not make a false statement of material fact on the person's application
    (6) Does not have a conviction for any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun;
    (7) Does not have an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult
    (8) Has not been involuntarily committed to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority
    (9) Has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, including being found:
    (A) not guilty by reason of insanity;
    (B) guilty but mentally ill; or
    (C) incompetent to stand trial, and [4]

WHEREAS, according to the criteria above allowing students licensed to carry a defensive firearm for the purposes of defending themselves will reduce or prevent violent crime:

Women who resist violent crimes (robbery, aggravated assault, and rape) with a gun are 250% more likely to escape without injury than those who do not resist and 400% more likely to escape uninjured than those who resist with anything other than a gun. [5]

Every day 550 rapes, 1,100 murders, and 5,200 other violent crimes are prevented just by showing a gun. In less than 0.9% of these instances is the gun ever actually fired. [6]

When a woman was armed with a firearm, only 3% of rape attacks are completed, compared to 32% being completed when the woman was unarmed. [7]

Out of over 1,600 prisoners polled:
    • “34% had been ‘scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim’”
    • “40% had decided not to commit a crime because they ‘knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun’”
    • “69% personally knew other criminals who had been ‘scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim’”[8]
    [FONT=&quot]
    WHEREAS, Indiana
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Senate Bill 0097 seeks to permit citizens that have been approved for licensure and continue to meet all necessary behavior requirements under [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Indiana Code[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]35-47[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to be able to defend themselves on Purdue University property without fear of job loss or expulsion.[/FONT]
    THEREFORE, be it RESOLVED that Purdue Student Government supports Indiana Senate Bill 0097 and urges the Indiana General Assembly to allow all of our representatives in both the House and Senate an opportunity to vote on this important issue.

______________________ ______________________
    Student Body President Student Senate President
    References

[1] Burnett, D. (2012, September 27). Opposing view: Allow concealed-carry on campus. USA Today. Retrieved from Opposing view: Allow concealed-carry on campus

[2] Regulations governing student conduct, disciplinary proceedings, and appeals. (2010). Available from University Regulations. Retrieved from Purdue University Regulations

[3] Indiana Legislative Services Agency, Office of Code Revision. (n.d.). Regulation of handguns (35-47-2). Retrieved from website: Indiana Code 35-47-2

[4] Indiana Legislative Services Agency, Office of Code Revision. (n.d.). Definitions (35-47-1). Retrieved from website: Indiana Code 35-47-1

[5] Southwick , L. J. (2000). Self-defense with guns: The consequences. Journal of Criminal Justice, 28(5), 351-370. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com.login.ezproxy.lib.purdue.edu/science/article/pii/S0047235200000519

[6] National Crime Victimization Survey, 2000, Bureau of Justice Statistics, BATF estimates on handgun
    Supply

[7] Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities, U.S. Department of Justice

[8] Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms (Expanded Edition). By James D. Wright and Peter D. Rossi. Aldine De Gruyter, 1994.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    1. How'd you get a copy?

2. This resolution will go right from us to the state (if it passes), the university senate has no say, as we aren't asking for a university policy change.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm not going to hold my breath. The student government has brought this up almost every year that I've been here. It passes as often as it fails and when it passes the University Senate laughs and its DOA.

The issue is the University administrators. They ascribe to the belief that the university police will protect us and a student with a gun will do as much damage as the BG. The University police chief wrote an article last year in which he said that he was against campus carry because he didn't want his officers to arrive to a gun battle and not know who the BG was... This is the attitude we are dealing with here. I will go to support our 2A rights but won't hold my breath on it going anywhere.

Wonder if the police chief is for LCTH in general. What makes a college campus any different than walmart or a mall?

Top Bottom