• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You'd have to get a map of the districts, but once you do, a listing of the state senators is found here, by district.

Indiana General Assembly: FAQs

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks where can I find a map of the districts? I know I'm in district 2 & suspect that NWI is probably 1 - 10 or something like that just based on the # of Ds in the low numbers. :laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks!

One last question (I think) do you still have the link to the post on here that had the summaries of these bills?

SB 292, SB 506, SB 94, SB 411

I think you posted it about a week ago but I can't find it. **SIGH**

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've just read SB 292, which passed out of committee with an amendment. The amendment was put in place in committee to allow regulation or prohibition of firearm possession in essentially any building containing a courtroom. :xmad:

It's still better than it was, if it passes, but it would still allow restriction in every county courthouse, the state capitol, some police stations, etc. The frustrating part is that every member of the committee voted to pass that amendment except Sen. Tomes, the author of the bill. Clearly, there is much education to be done for our elected officials.

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've just read SB 292, which passed out of committee with an amendment. The amendment was put in place in committee to allow regulation or prohibition of firearm possession in essentially any building containing a courtroom. :xmad:

It's still better than it was, if it passes, but it would still allow restriction in every county courthouse, the state capitol, some police stations, etc. The frustrating part is that every member of the committee voted to pass that amendment except Sen. Tomes, the author of the bill. Clearly, there is much education to be done for our elected officials.

Blessings,
    Bill

BoR makes no difference really since as it stands now court houses have thier own set of rules put in place by the IN supreme court so no amount of laws coming from the IN state house would have or matter when it regards the court houses. The courts have been given the authority by the IN supreme court to make their own rules regarding firearms in their courthouses.

By adding that no firearms in courthouses into SB 292 is much like saying.

You shall not committ suiside when ywe already have a law called you shall not kill.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR makes no difference really since as it stands now court houses have thier own set of rules put in place by the IN supreme court so no amount of laws coming from the IN state house would have or matter when it regards the court houses. The courts have been given the authority by the IN supreme court to make their own rules regarding firearms in their courthouses.

By adding that no firearms in courthouses into SB 292 is much like saying.

You shall not committ suiside when ywe already have a law called you shall not kill.

Jedi,

I recall us having that conversation recently but I don't recall where you said a link was to that information. Would you refresh my memory, please?

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi,

I recall us having that conversation recently but I don't recall where you said a link was to that information. Would you refresh my memory, please?

Blessings,
    Bill

Yup.. & like I told you in the other post when you asked for the source that there was no link since there was no Indiana Law. The information came from the ATTY who gave the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...917-comprehensive_indiana_gun_law_2_26_a.html) somewhere at the beginning of his course he says that Indiana Gun "rules" can come from 3 sources: Indiana Legislation, Federal Legislation or Indiana Courts.

The last one was a special "rule" player in which under Indiana government the Indiana Supreme Court (ISC) is equal to Indiana Congress (IC) and thus each set their own rules for firearms within this own property (ie. state house) and/or court houses. The ISC has a standing courthouse rule that allowed the chief judge of each courthouse to make his/her own rules regarding firearms in his/her courthouse.

There is no LAW (ie. IC code) for this. Instead (and here is where my memory is fuzzy) it is a house rule written by the ISC.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yup.. & like I told you in the other post when you asked for the source that there was no link since there was no Indiana Law. The information came from the ATTY who gave the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...917-comprehensive_indiana_gun_law_2_26_a.html) somewhere at the beginning of his course he says that Indiana Gun "rules" can come from 3 sources: Indiana Legislation, Federal Legislation or Indiana Courts.

The last one was a special "rule" player in which under Indiana government the Indiana Supreme Court (ISC) is equal to Indiana Congress (IC) and thus each set their own rules for firearms within this own property (ie. state house) and/or court houses. The ISC has a standing courthouse rule that allowed the chief judge of each courthouse to make his/her own rules regarding firearms in his/her courthouse.

There is no LAW (ie. IC code) for this. Instead (and here is where my memory is fuzzy) it is a house rule written by the ISC.

If it's a Supreme Court rule, it must be published as an Order or enacted as a procedural rule. I'll look, but I don't recall there being anything of the sort.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My understanding from the course was that the ISC got to make it's own rules for it's "houses" (ie. court house) just like the IC got to make it's own rules for it's "houses" (state bldg). In turn the IC gave "power" to it's subs (townships, towns, cities) to make their own rules regarding in their houses (county/city public bldg) and the ISC gave "power" to it's lower courts to do the same.

The ones that come from the IC come in the form of new Indiana laws. Not sure where the ISC ones can be seen.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    My understanding from the course was that the ISC got to make it's own rules for it's "houses" (ie. court house) just like the IC got to make it's own rules for it's "houses" (state bldg). In turn the IC gave "power" to it's subs (townships, towns, cities) to make their own rules regarding in their houses (county/city public bldg) and the ISC gave "power" to it's lower courts to do the same.

The ones that come from the IC come in the form of new Indiana laws. Not sure where the ISC ones can be seen.

It would, as I said, have to be a published Order. This is the only Order I found addressing the matter at all.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Would it not fall under "contempt of court"?

If the judge tells you "no xyz allowed in my courtroom" and you still bring xyz in he can toss you in jail for contempt of court right? So xyz can be anything gun, pen, paper, cellphone, etc..

:dunno:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Would it not fall under "contempt of court"?

If the judge tells you "no xyz allowed in my courtroom" and you still bring xyz in he can toss you in jail for contempt of court right? So xyz can be anything gun, pen, paper, cellphone, etc..

:dunno:

There would still have to be an Order that was violated.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There would still have to be an Order that was violated.

Is not the order the sign at the entrance of just about every courthouse in indiana that says "by order of the court no firearms beyond this point"?

I think that is how it is worded up here at the Lake County Courthouse.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thank you, Carmel, that's what I thought. It's a recommendation of a series of procedures, not an order. The lower courts might prohibit, but if state law dictates that those orders are null and void, they are unenforceable.

One thing I noted in the quoted PDF:

While Indiana is blessed with many beautiful court
    structures, most of these facilities were built in an era which was
    unfamiliar with, and therefore unconcerned by, the risk of violence by
    and between litigants and directed toward court personnel and other
    public officials.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but most of these facilities were built in the 1800s.. when people routinely went armed. Could it be that the "era" was unfamiliar with and unconcerned by the risk of violence because that risk was minimal due to the inherent deterrent effect of an armed populace?

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom