• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Hoping to save myself a few rookie mistakes. I have a 14" piece of jeep axle housing tube its 2"I'd 2.5"od.
    I've gathered that for action truing I need a set of bolts at 4" and 5" apart for Sa and LA respectively. I picked up 1/2-20tpi bolts and some brass rod for feet for the bolts.
    How long should I make it overall I'm thinking 6" ??
    I do need to be able to chuck it in my 3 jaw as I can't thread it for my spindle. Does all this sound about right??

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have seen lots of "off sides" lathe chucks / spiders search practical machinist or home shop machinist, several good and easy to do ideas, my south bend had the spindle threaded so I just screw a 4 jaw chuck on both sides, kinda like an oil field lathe

the fixture at over $250 is a no go for me, I think your much better off with something on both sides of the lathes spindle and if you need that fixture, just grab some D.O.M. steel and drill n tap and presto you get it

Aaron

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Ill agree with better to hold both ends, however my sheldon lathe headstock is 19'' deep. so there is no way to hold an 18'' barrel in that manner. I have already made a spider for the rear of the spindle but once i chucked up my bald eagle on a new backing plate i discovered the 19'' minimum for this setup.
    Chatter is a concern but Im currently broke and only doing small projects on my cheap 22 rifles, all failures are learned from and considered Tuition!

Top Bottom