• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What action types do you own and what style of reloading press do you use?

• Total voters

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I use a series of single stage presses lined in a row upon the bench to load for everything I shoot(semi auto rifles, bolt guns, pistols and revolvers). Works for me.

Thomas Jackson

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Just switched to a progressive press.... absolutely love it. Once set up and running, I can churn out 100 rounds of 45ACP in less than 15 minutes

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Just switched to a progressive press.... absolutely love it. Once set up and running, I can churn out 100 rounds of 45ACP in less than 15 minutes

Welcome to INGO, TJ.

What kind of press did you use before the progressive? Do you still have plans to use the older press for certain types of reloading, or is it going to gather dust, now? :)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Semi auto pistol at the moment. I am starting out so I am using the rock Chucker. I have about 2000 rounds through it at the moment. At some point I may move to a progressive but for now I am happy on the single stage.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I started reloading on a Rock Chucker many years ago for all of my ammo and when I started shooting more handguns I switched to a 550.

That's exactly like my experience, except I went with a turret-style press instead of a progressive, since I don't shoot a whole lot of pistol ammo.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I use a turret for most of the reloading chores and several single stage presses set up for hardness testing, resizing brass and sizing cast bullets.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Mine isn't listed as well.

I have semi auto. Only have one, but that will be changing soon!!!

I had access to a progressive but I am a paranoid freak. IE squib, double charge etc. Plus to me, it was too much tinkering.

So I bought a single stage. Even though it is slow, I enjoy the alone time and giving me something to do in the middle of the night when there isn't anything on tv I want to watch.

I'm close to 1,200 rounds on it since February 2012. But once the girls are back in school, I see a lot of reloading in my near future, AND more trips to the range!!

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    I reload everything on a Dillon 650 from 9 MM to 223. I have my old faithful Rock Chucker for 30-06 which is a low volume load for me. That Dillon warranty is hard to beat.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I use nothing but turret presses, makes it easy to keep things organized with limited space but not necessarily any faster.

I load for everything, rifles, handguns, revolvers... Semi, bolt, lever... (Just not shotguns, since I only have one that is rarely shot.)

Typically run only redding equipment on a lyman press. I treat the operations pretty close to a single stage press but combine powder charging and bullet seating to prevent powder spills or double charges.

It's fast enough for me to crank out a few hundred OCD-level scaled and measured rounds in an evening.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I use everything from a single stage to one of my XL650's. (I have two of them)

At one point, I had to feed two semi autos for competition and son #2 can go through a bunch of ammo!

I also use a Lee Classic Cast Turret press, mostly in single stage mode for precision rifle loading or super small batches of handgun hunting ammo.

My 3 SDBs are a real blessing too although two of them have left and taken up residence at different children's houses now, one to son #1 and son in law #2.

Recently, I was feeling a bit nostalgic and bought an original RL450 off of ebay and when I got it home, I did the two upgrades that make it much more user friendly, primer and powder ones.

Right now, I think I even have an old Herter's #3 around here somewhere. Funny story behind that one!

At any rate, I guess I am just a tool junkie!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I ran this exact same poll on the Shooters Forum website, which is not based in any single state, like INGO. On this site, 77 people have responded and only 15.58% use primarily single-stage and turret-style presses, meaning not full-on progressives. On Shooters Forum, only 32 people have responded, but 60% of them use a single-stage or turret-style press for all of their reloading.

This illustrates the distinct differences in how people reload in states where center-fire rifles are used extensively for big game hunting. In Indiana, there are many folks who reload almost entirely to feed their shooting/competition habit. They are loading a high volume of rounds for semi-auto pistols and AR's.

I also think it's fair to say that an age demographic is also depicted in the two surveys, with the typical respondent on the other site probably being quite a bit older than here on INGO. Fascinating stuff, at least to my warped mind. :)

Jason

Top Bottom