• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I was watching my old Suarez Kalishnokov DVD, and it re-peaked my interest in a "sneaky bag". Since OST doesn't sell them anymore, I'm looking at alternatives. Ultimately, I want a bag that is comfortable (wide shoulder straps are a must) to be worn while shooting a rifle (most likely my AK folder or M4 SBR) on my support side. Not wanting something cheap or designed to bug out for an unforetold time. Of the 3 B's (beans, bullets, bandaids), I'm looking to forgo food and have around 6 rifle mags, pocket for a Glock, and maybe an IFAK kit. Here's what I've been looking at, and wondered if any INGO'rs have some suggestions I'm not thinking of or real world experience with something of this kind. Also, if you have pictures of your gear, I'd love to see them.

Active Shooter Bag with PALS modular webbing front
    Active Shooter Bag with M4/M16 and Pistol Magazine Pockets
    Active Shooter Bag
    Original S.O.E. Gear
    HawkePaks Recon Rifle Bag
    LaRue Tactical G.T.F.O. Rifle Bag | LaRue Tactical
    5.11 Tactical Bail Out Bag | Official 5.11 Site

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    I completely understand you are asking about bags (Maxpedition active shooter imho) but do you have anything against a vest or chest rig? S.O.E. PALS micro

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I have the Tactical Tailor bag you have listed like third down. It's very nice, but I find it difficult to use while shooting and moving around. I bought it to carry mags and stuff while we're out walking around the farm and woods shooting. I don't like the messenger/briefcase style for that. It was constantly swinging and sliding around. I bought a couple more, but ended up really liking the Removable Operator Pack I find having the two shoulder straps to be much more comfortable. The straps are padded, but still really thin and don't bug me when I shoulder a rifle or shotgun. I have some mag pouches on one side and a FAK hanging off the molle on the other side. I'll try and post a pic of it later.

Just my 2 cents. Tactical Tailor stuff is really nice, and made in USA. I use the active shooter bag when I go to the range, I just didn't like hiking around with it.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Something I found that looks like what I will be getting in the near future is
    Rapid Deployment Pack
    It appears to be the not too big and not too small option. I prefer the slightly smaller size than what your requirements are (IE the pouches for 4 rifle mags instead of 6) and smaller main pouch for accessories such as aid kit, flash light, etc...
    Perhaps something to consider.

Happy shopping and stay safe.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I have a maxpedition jumbo versipack that I'm turning into an active shooter/patrol bag. It has a loop on the back that you can hook to your belt to keep it from moving around if you want it to stay put. My agency won't flip for vests, so I have to get creative.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You could also create your own with a typical sling bag found many places and forego the "tactical" look. Get a sling bag, stitch in a 12x12(ish) velcro sheet and put a ar/ak mag shingle(s) on one side, and a pistol holster on the other, and let your med kit float in the bottom.

Hook-and-loop Modular Insert for Six (6) M4/M16 Magazines

I actually have a laptop bag that would be perfect for that.

If you don't want a kind of DIY project, I would probably go for a maxpedition pack that can also hold a nalgene H2O bottle on the side.
    Jumbo LEO Tactical Nylon Shoulder Sling Active Shooter Bag for Law Enforcement Police Officer

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between an active shooter bag and a range bag? Some of the ones posted look like a range bag to me.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I completely understand you are asking about bags (Maxpedition active shooter imho) but do you have anything against a vest or chest rig? S.O.E. PALS micro

I ant to stay away from vest and belts. Looking for something I could stash in my vehicle when I'm out that supplements my rifle, but not doesn't really restrict movement (like shooting prone). I really like some of these that have the waist or leg tether, because I hate stuff bouncing around when I'm running a gun.

Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between an active shooter bag and a range bag? Some of the ones posted look like a range bag to me.

My understanding is an active shooter bag is designed to be worn on your support side, and goes with you while you are shooting. Versus a range bag that you load up, and use for reloads and maintenance for more static type shooting.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I know you're asking specifically about single strap bags, but for the purpose you described, I am currently using a 5.11 tactical covrt 18 bag.

I can load it up with mags, more handgun, trauma kit and it does not look out of place at all. It also makes a great hydration carrier and it's a fine pack all around.

I thought about getting a single strap bag, but I decided on a daypack because it just carries better for me and as long as it's on my back it's out of my way. Can you run carrying one of those single strap bags?

Covert Backpack | 5.11 Tactical COVRT 18 Backpack

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That's a nice pack, but I want something to wear on my side that I can readily access magazines in much like a mag carrier on a vest. I've got several nice bags from Maxpedition, but none allow immediate access into them while holding a pistol grip in my strong hand.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    That's a nice pack, but I want something to wear on my side that I can readily access magazines in much like a mag carrier on a vest. I've got several nice bags from Maxpedition, but none allow immediate access into them while holding a pistol grip in my strong hand.

Sounds like you need to mod yourself a bandoleer then...

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I ant to stay away from vest and belts. Looking for something I could stash in my vehicle when I'm out that supplements my rifle, but not doesn't really restrict movement (like shooting prone). I really like some of these that have the waist or leg tether, because I hate stuff bouncing around when I'm running a gun.

My understanding is an active shooter bag is designed to be worn on your support side, and goes with you while you are shooting. Versus a range bag that you load up, and use for reloads and maintenance for more static type shooting.

Thanks and that makes sense.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Good point. Grabbing mags from the daypack while it's on your back would be tricky or impossible.

When you settle on something, please post and let us know how you like it. You've got me curious.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the bag due to it appearing a lot more grayman than other rigs. You can also gear up and, maybe more importantly, gear down quickly.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Went with the SOE Active Shooter bag. Really liking it. I think I'm going to order an S.O.E. Rifle Mag Card (X3 mags) for the inside / back panel, and 2 Pistol Mag Cards (X2 mags) for each inner side. Should still have plenty of room for an IFAK like the VOK kit, and maybe a halo and Celox pouch in the back pocket.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm hoping to find something at the 1500. I've carried a generic type bag for a few years and it's finally starting to rip.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I used this as a bag for school for about a year. It's the UTG Urban Messenger Bag.
    ( Leapers UTG Urban Messenger Bag, Black PVC-P318B. Leapers UTG Bags & Backpacks, Leapers Bags & Backpacks. ):

It has molle and a zippered pocket on the front:
    IMG_20130827_200838_819.jpg

The front face also zips completely open like a book to reveal a large mesh pocket and 4 elastic magazine holders( I think only pistol and smaller ones. I don't have an AR or AK to check, but I think they would be a little small. They are each as wide as my 3 middle finger together) (13 x 10 x 1.5"):
    IMG_20130827_200922_704.jpg

The main compartment is big enough to hold a paperback textbook and a large 3 subject notebook. It also has velcro on one side and molle on the other (14 x 10 x 3"):
    IMG_20130827_201021_500.jpg

The back pocket is padded for something like a tablet or small thin laptop. It also has 4 more mag pockets (13 x 10 x 1.5"):
    IMG_20130827_201052_183.jpg

There is also a water bottle holder on the side with velcro attachment. It is too short for the attachment to really work like it's supposed to, but it holds normal sized water bottle firmly:
    IMG_20130827_201356_631.jpg

The zippered pocket on the other side has some molle on it also and is just big enough to hold 2 sticks of deodorant:
    IMG_20130827_201310_967.jpg
    IMG_20130827_201303_601.jpg

The back is nicely padded and also has a waist strap that can be fed into the little compartments when not in use:
    IMG_20130827_201459_825.jpg
    IMG_20130827_201519_743.jpg

It also has a shoulder strap pad with a little molle on it as well( I included a pic of the only real wear it accumulated from 2 and a half semesters of use by me which includes just being thrown in the car and on the ground when I get home while containing textbooks):
    IMG_20130827_201423_822.jpg
    IMG_20130827_201433_893.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the included detachable velcro UTG pistol holster, but you can easily find them on the net.

All in all I like it as a bag. I didn't buy it with the same intended use as this active shooter bag that I just heard about through this thread, but it could maybe be used as a cheap alternative for someone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom