• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Just to review: they gave a loner with a history of violence 2 weeks to plan the attack.

I don't exactly want to blame the victims for their own shooting, but this was at minimum a massive failure of risk assessment.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ok let me see if I have this right

1. Felony for aggravated assault 1995 Mississippi.

2. Six arrests by the Aurora police for Domestic battery and traffic violations last arrest was in Oswego, IL 2017 for disorderly conduct and damage to property.

3. Issued Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID) January 2014. ([FONT=&amp]An applicant is disqualified if he or she has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, is the subject of an order of protection, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, or is an illegal immigrant.)[/FONT]

4. A few months later purchased a pistol.

5. Applied for CCW when fingerprinted felony popped up application denied and FOID revoked.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They used to call this "going postal" but times have changed and unfortunately it is just another "mass shooting". My prayers for full recovery of all injured and to the families of those never coming home.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Ok let me see if I have this right

1. Felony for aggravated assault 1995 Mississippi.

2. Six arrests by the Aurora police for Domestic battery and traffic violations last arrest was in Oswego, IL 2017 for disorderly conduct and damage to property.

3. Issued Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID) January 2014. ([FONT=&amp]An applicant is disqualified if he or she has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, is the subject of an order of protection, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, or is an illegal immigrant.)[/FONT]

4. A few months later purchased a pistol.

5. Applied for CCW when fingerprinted felony popped up application denied and FOID revoked.

So already a prohibited person under federal law, and in Indiana would probably be additionally disqualified for a LTCH for a documented propensity for violence and emotionally unstable conduct.

Illinois belatedly caught his disqualification and revoked his FOID.

One of the news articles showed the front window of the office with the official, force of law firearms prohibited sign.

But any minute now there will be calls for yet more gun laws.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The fail is strong

IL uses a internal state system instead of a normal 4473.
    The 4473 information goes to the ISP they do the checks and give the proceed, delay, denial.

I wonder if the normal 4473 would have caught him?
    Judging by the number of people that I witnessed get a denial at the “gun barn” at a RK in a timespan of about 30 minutes while waiting my turn I say yes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The news was saying that Illinois State Police had ordered him to turn in his gun previously. Obviously that just amounts to a "stern talking to" in Illinois. Wouldn't SOP be to actually make sure he DID turn in the gun? The guy didn't seem to be to be the type whose word I would take to turn it in.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    For my part, I wrote to my Congresscritter today.

"I wrote to you earlier this year urging you to oppose any new gun control measure that would only impact law-abiding gun owners, and specifically the latest “universal” background check bill, H.R. 8.

I received your offices response, and do appreciate the stated position protecting the private sale / transfer of firearms between lawful citizens.

Today I want to illustrate WHY the citizens of this nation should be suspicious of ANY new / additional firearms related law making; and why simplification and enforcement of the existing laws should be the priority.

In the most recent well publicized work place shooting event in Aurora, Illinois it has been reported that the perpetrator :

1. Had a Felony conviction for aggravated assault in 1995 Mississippi.

2. Had six arrests by the Aurora police for Domestic battery and traffic violations. The last arrest was in Oswego, IL 2017 for disorderly conduct and damage to property.

3. He was Issued an Illinois Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID) January 2014. (An applicant is disqualified if he or she has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, is the subject of an order of protection, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, or is an illegal immigrant.)

4. Reportedly a few months later purchased a pistol.

5. Applied for Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) permit, and when fingerprinted the Felony conviction was discovered. The CCW was reportedly denied and FOID revoked.

6. One of the news articles showed the front window of the targeted office displaying the official Illinois force of law, firearms prohibited sign.

The above failures of Government all occurred in Illinois, a state dominated by Chicago, which prides itself on trampling upon the Second Amendment Right of its citizens.

The states authorized with the "Force of Law" firearms prohibited sign did not deter the alleged shooter.

The Government failed at multiple points to perform its duty to the people of Illinois under the laws they have already enacted. Undoubtedly however there will be calls for "just one more gun control law, to stop these events". AND that, like all of the calls before will be the largest tragedy, as it will be a bold faced lie!

As with the Pulse nightclub event, and the Parkland school disaster, the events truly lie at the feet of Government officials who failed to perform their jobs, endangered the public, and will never even be investigated let alone held accountable for their failure to act in the public's interest.

Please demand the FBI and ATF actually do something useful, and investigate the Illinois system and Government employees who permitted this individual to acquire AND KEEP a firearm when he was a known violent Felon to those same entities.

This is also a good example of why "Gun Free Zones" are such a terrible idea. What such zones really constitute are "Easy Victim Zones" which identify to the bad guys where there won't be anyone to fight back (at least effectively). This is another classic case where if just one person in reasonable proximity had been ABLE to be lawfully armed, the outcome would almost certainly have been different. (Next time you speak to your colleagues from Illinois, you might remind them of this)

In your representation of this district I ask you remember the Oath you took, and specifically these passages. "...in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added...", and "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". In your deliberations, in votes you cast on this subject, referring to these passages should be all that is required to determine if your vote should be for or against a proposal."

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Speculating upon all of the conflicting reports as to why this murderer still possessed a weapon, I would have to say the idiots that control the FOID system in Illinois are to to blame. They along with the Illinois State Police and their non-conforming background check system lead to this tragedy. The records show he had prior convictions and the one out of state felony. Great, the news said the FOID card was revoked; but, why didn't the State police immediately notify the local yokel police to go and get a warrant and confiscate any guns this murderer had in his possession. I'll bet there is a lot of CYA going on now. Oh, and by the way, this murderous rampage was not "gun violence" but rather the acts of a mad man seeking revenge on innocent people for being fired from a job.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I grew up in the next town over from Aurora and my brother and his family live about a mile from that factory. The FOID "system" is ridiculous and flawed and another testament as to why Illinois is one of the worst states from 2A rights. Ever since I moved out of state, I can barely go to a gun store back home and do anything without a valid FOID. One store even asked to check my FOID immediately as I walked in the door, I laughed and turned around. It boggles my mind that FOID are so incredibly flawed, and yet still in use.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Another thing, in Illinois you must have a FOID card to buy a firearm. Then they do an "instant background check" when you buy from a dealer. This check does not go through the federal instant check system but through the Illinois instant check system. I don't remember the history behind why Illinois thought they had a better system but seems like they were wrong again.
    When he applied for a FOID the ISP should have caught his felony conviction from Miss. and his domestic battery and order of protection from Illinois. Then when he lied on the 4473 when buying the handgun the ISP check missed him again. When he applied for his CCW with fingerprints the felony did show up so they canceled his FOID and sent him a letter which should have told him to surrender the card. When he did not surrender the card the Aurora police should have went to his house and took it from him.
    So we now have a felon that lied on a 4473 to illegally buy a handgun that illegally carries without a CCW into a business that is posted with a "force of law" no guns sign and shoots people. I don't know what it could be but I am sure the anti gun people in Illinois will want to pass a new law that will prevent this type thing from happening again. Jim.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have a even money bet that if the 4473 went through the normal NiCS federal process it would have hit on the Aggravated Assault charge in MS.
    I wonder if someone is rubber stamping “things” in IL, corruption is very much at home in the state.

Note how quickly this story is fading in the news!

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Actually, this all kind of makes sense. As we well know, the purpose of gun control has never been to make people safe or prevent crimes. If that were the goal, they would not be advocating for gun control in the first place, since it doesn't happen to have that effect. Rather, the purpose is to disarm the honest citizen.

So, is it any surprise that they allow a person who has a high likelihood of committing a violent crime with a firearm to obtain and keep one, in the hopes that he'll do exactly what he did, so they can use it to scream for more gun control?

Also, someone said it was the failure of the FOID system that resulted in this; that's assuming the purpose of the FOID system is to prevent crimes, which it's not, since only law abiding citizens will bother with it. The purpose of the FOID system is to disarm non-criminals, so that criminals will be able to commit more crimes with guns, which in turn is used to push for more gun control. Therefore, the FOID system did exactly what it's designed to do. It's an oxymoron to say the failure of gun-control caused a crime, since the purpose of gun control is to allow more crime.

Top Bottom