• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Avec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    To those arguing there just need to be more security guards, 2 point - 1. Schools are already strapped to the point of laying off teachers, and in some districts going to 4 day weeks to save money. They don't have the money to educate now, and certainly don't have the funds to hire additional staff. Schools are the first to take the hit when states decide they need to cut taxes to the bone. Look at Kansas and Oklahoma as examples. 2. Many of the places that these shootings take place already have security or police presence. Virginia Tech has its own campus security - 33 dead. The concert outside Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas had security and on-duty police - 59 dead.

Many on this site are quick to say "here come the libs wanting to bane guns", but dont offer any solutions. We, and the Supreme Court know that gun ownership in America is not absolute. You may want to argue it should be, but instead of an AR-15 this kid in FLA had, would you rather he had a rocket propelled grenade? (rhetorical questions). It is time for the gun owners of America to offer legitimate solutions, not the gut reaction "they're coming for my guns". We are presumably smart people. We need to be part of the solution, or a solution we will hate will be the result. There will be a legislation in the next 5 years to address this - guaranteed. If you want gun owners to have a seat at the discussion table, we better start now. If we keep shouting "gun grab" and walk away, then it will be a gun grab, and we lost our chance to moderate the legislation.

It seems that many of us have friend or relative that either died or knows someone that died in Viet Nam - almost 60,000 American lives lost in the decade of conflict there. More Americans will die in gun violence in the next two years that died in Viet Nam in 10.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Today Show, Savannah asks a little girl about how her friend that was shot is doing... she didn't make it, followed by tears... several seconds of awkward silence... you would think a producer would have checked on that before it being asked on TV.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    To those arguing there just need to be more security guards, 2 point - 1. Schools are already strapped to the point of laying off teachers, and in some districts going to 4 day weeks to save money. They don't have the money to educate now, and certainly don't have the funds to hire additional staff. Schools are the first to take the hit when states decide they need to cut taxes to the bone. Look at Kansas and Oklahoma as examples. 2. Many of the places that these shootings take place already have security or police presence. Virginia Tech has its own campus security - 33 dead. The concert outside Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas had security and on-duty police - 59 dead.

Many on this site are quick to say "here come the libs wanting to bane guns", but dont offer any solutions. We, and the Supreme Court know that gun ownership in America is not absolute. You may want to argue it should be, but instead of an AR-15 this kid in FLA had, would you rather he had a rocket propelled grenade? (rhetorical questions). It is time for the gun owners of America to offer legitimate solutions, not the gut reaction "they're coming for my guns". We are presumably smart people. We need to be part of the solution, or a solution we will hate will be the result. There will be a legislation in the next 5 years to address this - guaranteed. If you want gun owners to have a seat at the discussion table, we better start now. If we keep shouting "gun grab" and walk away, then it will be a gun grab, and we lost our chance to moderate the legislation.

It seems that many of us have friend or relative that either died or knows someone that died in Viet Nam - almost 60,000 American lives lost in the decade of conflict there. More Americans will die in gun violence in the next two years that died in Viet Nam in 10.
    SO, Mr. Fudd, what is your solution, give up ARs so you can keep your seat at the discussion table? American Gun Owners, doing all we can to ensure we can to help anti gunners do their job!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes yes and yes.

As to your last point.....the gun violence in this country is being done by...well....we already know who is doing this. Address that issue separate as guns are only the tool used and not the core reason. This is a tough debate and hard to remain civil. But it is the stuff we need to address at the core of the real problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Today Show, Savannah asks a little girl about how her friend that was shot is doing... she didn't make it, followed by tears... several seconds of awkward silence... you would think a producer would have checked on that before it being asked on TV.

No.....as the producer wanted this impact. It was intentional I am sure.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Some of you asked where was his parents.
    The shooter was adpoted as an infant.
    His adapted dad died of a heart attack in 2005.
    His adapted mother died of the flu in nov 2017.
    So his home environment, single parent, was brought upon him by life not the actions of his parents (ie. Divorce, birth out of wedlock, etc).

Suspect the death of mom pushed him deeper over the edge with whatever demons he had.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So his home environment, single parent, was brought upon him by life not the actions of his parents (ie. Divorce, birth out of wedlock, etc).

Suspect the death of mom pushed him deeper over the edge with whatever demons he had.

Sad as that all is and yes it is terribly sad there were markers that people saw. And still nothing was done.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

So what you are implying is that good parenting matters?

Perhaps we should have background checks before people procreate.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    No.....as the producer wanted this impact. It was intentional I am sure.

Exactly! No doubt about it. No soul, no remorse for the girl's broken heart. Just make the story "compelling" if I were that girl's dad, I would be compelled to knock that producer on the ground and kick him in the ribs. And the anchor.

"Get the widow on the set, give us dirty laundry."

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

I don't see much of a solution here. Just a willingness to negotiate something away. We've done enough of that over the decades.

News flash: more gun control won't work. There are already hundreds of millions of guns in this country and they aren't going away.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    SO, Mr. Fudd, what is your solution, give up ARs so you can keep your seat at the discussion table? American Gun Owners, doing all we can to ensure we can to help anti gunners do their job!

As a country, we DON'T have a 'gun' problem... We have a mental health problem that's been exacerbated by a generation that's refused to parent, refused to do anything remotely close to disciplining a child, and refused to teach children how to act like respectable young men and women.

You can't spank a child or you go to jail, hurt their feelings you go to jail... Did anyone ever consider that sparing the rod and spoiling the child is a biblical-level mistake?

Additionally, no one ever wants to ban cars when some terrorist drives onto a crowded boardwalk, or steak knives when someone attacks police with a knife. However, if a gun is even remotely related to an incident - it's the 'GUN's' fault!

I have never EVER heard of a gun lifting itself off of a table, flying around the room and attacking people.

It amazes me the number of folks who are more scared of the inanimate object than the psycho that's holding it. Until these people wake up and smell the coffee, I'm of the mindset that I'm not going to budge one millimeter in giving away and more of my rights or freedoms because folks don't want to put on their big girl panties and realize they caused this mental health problem.

Avec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012

I don't think anyone has a "solution", but my point is that we can either be part of a reasonable discussion as to POSSIBLE solutions or we will have one hoist upon us that we had no part in. Recent polls show that >90% of Americans want increased measures such as more and better back ground check. Even 3/4 of NRA members polled are in favor of better and universal background checks

Your gut reaction to call names, then go to the extreme is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

(Do 90% of Americans support background checks for all gun sales? | PolitiFact Wisconsin)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Universal background checks won't work without 100% registration nationwide, which has already been declared unconstitutional, and mandatory regular inspections of everyone's gun collections. Without these, there would be no way to know if I sold you a gun.

Will never happen.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

As I have said many times, we don't really need to worry about the leftists, it will be fellow gun owners that sell us down the river.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ARs have been around since when? The 50s or the 60s.
    And NOW they are a problem?

And it 90 percent REALLY wanted anything, it would already be a done deal. Years ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't see much of a solution here. Just a willingness to negotiate something away. We've done enough of that over the decades.

News flash: more gun control won't work. There are already hundreds of millions of guns in this country and they aren't going away.

I believe the OP knows this. I also believe what he says to be true. We are in for another negotiation so the power brokers can look out over the masses in their little kingdoms and say "Look what we have done to make you safe".......it is inevitable and no, no one will be any safer.

Getting together as a like minded group. That is the key but damn it, even in here we are scattered and fractured. On a natl. level this seems to be impossible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Working with them" got us multiple federal gun control acts, and thousands of state/local laws.
    It never stops them.
    Only encourages.

As for suggestions, I've seen several here.
    Go back to stressing importance of families.
    Teach discipline/responsibility.

As for "not enough money" in schools.
    Well, maybe that's cause we blow all our tax money on everything else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom