• Status
    Not open for further replies.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It looks like most here are going with sticking fingers in your ears and hoping the problem goes away.

Columbine - "Lalalalalalala - can't hear you"
    Sandy Hook - "Lalalalalala - still can't hear you"

and on down the list

Just saying, that the 2018 mid terms are set to be a blood bath for republicans. You may want to be part of the solution or continue to be seen as part of the problem. Gun control laws WILL be inacted, and they WILL be upheld based on Heller - Don't misconstrue Heller as a sweeping claim for the 2nd ammendment rights. Even the majority opinion went to great lengths to include that the right keep and bear arms is not absolute, and gun ownership should be considered for the main purpose of home defense.

There are reasonable measures that reasonable people can discuss. There are also measures that can be reasonably pointed out have no discernible positive outcome such as banning a class of weapons based on 'it looks scary'.

Maybe there should be a significant tax on various ammunition. Maybe we should let mental health professionals report problemed people with guns to the local police?

Avec, the only "reasonable" measures from the liberals will be total disarmament. If you can't grasp that, you have not been paying attention.

Also, I don't buy that trash about 90% of Americans favoring background checks. What the h%$# do you call the 4473 we have to complete to buy a gun?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Exactly! No doubt about it. No soul, no remorse for the girl's broken heart. Just make the story "compelling" if I were that girl's dad, I would be compelled to knock that producer on the ground and kick him in the ribs. And the anchor.

"Get the widow on the set, give us dirty laundry."

Did you get that?

Worked for Holly McClane in Die Hard.

QeXn9.jpg

Avec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Okay. What’s your solution? Describe your proposal. Make your case for it. How will it stop mass shootings? Start with that. Then we’ll have something to discuss. The only discussion you’ll get posting this herp derp is scorn.

I’ll offer a solution. Fix yourself and help those around you be better fathers, mothers, teachers, students, friends, citizens. Seek to answer, not what laws can we throw at a problem so we can feel like we did something, but why. I’ve spent a career fixing things. To fix it so it stays fixed you have to know why it broke.

Why did this kid do this? If you can’t fix that, it doesn’t matter what laws you pass. It doesn’t matter what you compromise away to dogmatic, ideologues who are trying to fix a different problem. These people are trying to fix the ideological problem of allowing citizens to possess weapons. The problem is not the guns. The problem is that a small subset of people are really ****ed up.

So, "We need to figure out how to stop mass shootings in schools" is your definition of 'herp derp'. That, right there, is the saddest commentary anyone could read on the mindset of the average gun owner, which although I own more than a dozen pistols and rifles, puts me outside the mean.

I don't have the "magic answer" No one does, but people are going to try things in hopes of solving the problem.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    After reading through these posts, I stand by my original comment regarding volunteers in schools and trained teachers. If a teacher is not dedicated enough to their profession to want to protect their charges, maybe they shouldn't be teachers. Armed hall guards would give an edge against any goof entering a school. I also see nothing wrong with armed volunteers guarding the school grounds.

Will it guarantee 100% that it couldn't be breached? No, only a fool would say that, but I bet it would be a deterrent. My kids are grown but I would gladly volunteer time to my local school district.

Clearly we need to do more. I long ago learned if you are doing one thing and it doesn't work, try another thing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Let's go back to the future. Put the loonies in bins and let the teachers and students go armed. Unfortunately, we seem to be a long way from a respectful and responsible society.

112,000 people will be injured in toilet accidents THIS YEAR...OMG...quick have the government stop the horror!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Let me tell you a story, every word of it is true.
    I have a 19yo step son that has struggled with some mental health issues (I won't be specific about diagnosis). He started seeing a councilor when he was 7 and was medicated. Since that time he has gone on a rollercoaster ride of med changes (different dosages/different meds). He was bullied often. It lead to him getting into more trouble which only gave the other kids more ammunition to push him further to see how he would respond. Several kids were affraid of him. Over the years there has been many fights/suspensions, threats of suicide, police calls with immediate detentions/psych evaluations/ 6months in patient treatment etc. It was almost impossible to get him the help he needed..even the councilors said it was because insurance had the power to push people out the door of hospitals and I made too much money to get any assistance.

I asked several people what I could do to make sure he wouldn't be able to legally get a gun. Nobody ever helped me get that done.

Finally he was taken off all the meds he had been on, and given something different (finally found the right med for him) and we have seen a drastic change for the better. He finally seems to be happy and cares about people.

I put this out there to make the point that this is where we need to find a way to help people who are struggling/troubled...even if that means limiting their right to the 2A while being treated and some for life.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    When I went to high school, several of my teachers were armed... the world didn't come to an end and I actually received an education.

No one in their right mind - or un-right mind in this case - is going to go after any target when the target can and will shoot back. Once that is addressed, all of these events will be a thing of the past or will be confined to the scumbag meeting their maker at the entrance to the property.

People need to understand there is evil in this world and pretending it doesn't exist or blaming inanimate objects isn't the answer.

Additionally, all of the folks who were screaming and begging for HIPPA, is why none of these folks who are a few eggs short of a full dozen can't be reported or dealt with.

Our liberal Utopian politicians are the ones who created this mess by blocking any ramifications for the criminals (or potential criminals). For example, with all of the drug problems and drug gang violence we have in our cities, what does the loony left want to do - legalize marijuana? Really???? (wtf). Legalize a gateway drug so you can have even more problems.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Stop printing their names and pictures for starters. I believe most of these twisted little ****s do it thinking they will go out in a blaze of glory and everyone will remember them, and I might catch some crap but I am all for bringing back public hangings in clear cut instance like this one.

Avec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Ok. You start.:popcorn:

Sure, if it will be a place to start a reasonable discussion

1. More stringent background checks focusing on mental health and domestic violence.
    2. Very high tax on specific ammunition. However, no tax if bought and used at a shooting range, for instance.

Like I said previously, I don't know what the solution is. I just think that we need to come up with one. Continuing to be nonplussed is no longer working

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    They pump these kids who's minds are still developing full of drugs and then they wonder why this **** happens

Totally agree. Lots of incentives for Doctor's to write those scrips, how else are they going to pay for elaborate vacations, mini-mansions, and those expensive BMW's?
    It has been a problem for years.
    Between people being "medicated" and playing with their damn phones at the same time, I sit through my share of green lights.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

1. More stringent background checks focusing on mental health and domestic violence.
    2. Very high tax on specific ammunition. However, no tax if bought and used at a shooting range, for instance.

Like I said previously, I don't know what the solution is. I just think that we need to come up with one. Continuing to be nonplussed is no longer working

1. Yes, the failing of mental issues being reported and acted upon is bad, but caution on this path as leftist turds can and would abuse it.

2. Words fail me, gtfo with that nonsense. That is Feinstein level bull****.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

So what about people like me who have never set foot on an official shooting range because we own property enough to shoot on? You're talking about making an already semi expensive hobby even more so and pricing new shooters out of starting. Forcing people who don't want to go to shooting ranges to shoot on ranges. What about reloading? Can't tax that or will you require every reloader to get a manufacturing licens?

Fudd

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pretty sad that my daughter has had armor in her backpack since she was in first grade.
    Schools don't even treat violent students or threats of violence seriously. They still think they can "save" everyone and use a soft touch for their sensibilities.
    This school shooter was known by student and I'm sure we will find out he was known to administrators too. Sad

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    @Thunderchicken - thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, I know of several stories that are almost exactly the same. Families are literally begging for help, and none is to be had. Sometimes due to money (insurance). Sometimes because those in a position of authority simply don't want to deal with it until it is an ACTUAL problem.

Personally, I feel so much could be "solved" (violence, petty crime, drug abuse, homelessness, etc...) if we could address mental health, promote strong nuclear families, and look for opportunities (rather than handouts). I am almost starting to believe a large number of those "in charge" (and those that put/keep them there) don't want these to be solved. Breaks my heart.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 19yo step son that has struggled with some mental health issues (I won't be specific about diagnosis). He started seeing a councilor when he was 7 and was medicated. Since that time he has gone on a rollercoaster ride of med changes (different dosages/different meds). He was bullied often. It lead to him getting into more trouble which only gave the other kids more ammunition to push him further to see how he would respond. Several kids were affraid of him. Over the years there has been many fights/suspensions, threats of suicide, police calls with immediate detentions/psych evaluations/ 6months in patient treatment etc. It was almost impossible to get him the help he needed..even the councilors said it was because insurance had the power to push people out the door of hospitals and I made too much money to get any assistance.

I asked several people what I could do to make sure he wouldn't be able to legally get a gun. Nobody ever helped me get that done.

Finally he was taken off all the meds he had been on, and given something different (finally found the right med for him) and we have seen a drastic change for the better. He finally seems to be happy and cares about people.

I put this out there to make the point that this is where we need to find a way to help people who are struggling/troubled...even if that means limiting their right to the 2A while being treated and some for life.

You hit on a few things that are true. Insurance. It sucks. I can only imagine your difficulty's dealing with these issues.
    Also.....as all the staff/admin and most of the school already knew your deaf ears statement rings true as well. No one wants to be labeled. No one wants to make the right moves and stand out ahead of the hive. It is so much easier to blame the tools used and beat that into the heads of the mindless.

My kids/grand kids lives are worth far more than your safe space. Far far more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So what about people like me who have never set foot on an official shooting range because we own property enough to shoot on? You're talking about making an already semi expensive hobby even more so and pricing new shooters out of starting. Forcing people who don't want to go to shooting ranges to shoot on ranges. What about reloading? Can't tax that or will you require every reloader to get a manufacturing licens?

Fudd
    #1....There are already things in place about domestic and other violence that stops new gun purchases. Mental health needs to be addressed but putting that tool in the politicians chest is a slippery slope. I know, I advocate this myself but how.
    #2......I will step into this and say absolutely hell no. WTF hell no. This will fix nothing. Zero. NADA.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Society does not understand mental illness.

Having dealt with a mental illness in my family (not a son or daughter), I absolutely feel for your struggles and agree with your point 100%. My brother is a mental health care provider and he can make your head spin with sad and ugly stories of "the system" not providing adequate support and resources. Additionally, the psychosomatic drugs that are prescribed outpatient is a form of Russian Roulette.

Very glad your son has found what works for him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom