• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This doesnt necessarily apply to those of us that EDC, but for work situations where we cant carry... (or we view our sidearm as purely SELF defense because we are not John Wayne)

The Cummins shooting reminded me of a tip I read recently that goes against the traditional advice for an active shooter situation, but only because it takes it to the next level. I'll try to find the original source, but it was a respected defense training company as I recall.

If you are outdoors with an active shooter (at a park, outside your office, at a mall parking lot, etc), get inside. Once inside, keep moving away from the shooter. DO NOT HIDE! If you hide in that building, the shooter could enter behind you and you are now in danger again. Keep going out the other side and put that building between you and the shooter. Keep moving until you are as far away as possible. That distance should be measured in city blocks.

If you are inside with an active shooter, escape away from the gunfire as fast as you can. Once again, try to put another entire building between you and the shooter. Keep moving and dont stop until you are FAR away. (A quarter mile or more... See below)

And dont go to a rally point nearby like you would for a fire drill. Otherwise you escaped, but what if he/she comes out, or there are accomplices? Your group is now the proverbial fish in a barrel.

Instead, get the heck outta dodge and call someone to tell them you are safe. Dont stand around to check in with a security/HR/management flunky with a clipboard.

If your company has a policy where they encourage you to gather at a nearby rally point like you would for a fire drill, talk to them and get that changed. They should instead setup a hotline for employees to call when they are away from the site and safe to report in.

Bottom line, an active shooter is going to move relatively slowly, looking for victims. You need to out pace them and cover as much distance as humanly possible. The farther away you can get, the better.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Heard nothing all day on any news. Chicago based up here though, but just went through and read the original thread...

Very disheartening

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    I agree with all the "get out of dodge advice", and it freaks me out that the plan for my kid in school is just the opposite. By my kids explanation it seems that their plan is to lock all doors and hide. He's only in kindergarten so I'm not gonna tell him to jump out a window or something. .. I dunno where I'm going with this, just got me thinking about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree with all the "get out of dodge advice", and it freaks me out that the plan for my kid in school is just the opposite. By my kids explanation it seems that their plan is to lock all doors and hide. He's only in kindergarten so I'm not gonna tell him to jump out a window or something. .. I dunno where I'm going with this, just got me thinking about it.

Thinking is the first step my friend.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I am in charge of children, I would certainly get them out to safety. Otherwise, I'm improvising a weapon, heading for the shooter and praying for an opportunity.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Grade schoolers in Arkansas were smart enough to set up an ambush outside and then pull the fire alarm and shoot folks as they ran out. If kids can figure that out, adults should be able to as well.

When employers have the "fish in a barrel" strategy you need to think about what's more important - your life or your job? Is anyone going to get fired for running in fear when shooting starts instead of hunkering down in the lunch room per policy? I doubt it. And if they do, so what? They're still alive!

Those of you with kids need to have individual plans that fit your situation. It may be jump out the window and run to Ms. Johnson's house or it may be do what your teacher says. Talk to your kids and the school staff about it. I recently visited a grade school in Northern Kentucky (friend is a teacher there and we were dropping off snacks) and we walked right into the UNLOCKED back door of the cafeteria. If I can walk in, anyone can walk in. And they want to take away MY gun rights yet don't even keep the doors locked???

Simple truth about active shooters is there's no "one size fits all" plan. You should be actively forming plans every second of every day. Be polite... but have a plan to kill everyone! (Or a plan to get your family safely out if the S hits the F.)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Agreed. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat down with my kids and stressed that if shooting happens, it's no holds barred. You don't listen to anyone, and you run as fast as you can... out the nearest window, door, or whatever.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Policy dictates that I'm not allowed to discuss details... (I was reminded of this)... and out of respect for those actually there, I'm not willing to discuss things and how I'd like to believe I'd have reacted. Once the details and facts come out, maybe I can discuss this event.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Policy dictates that I'm not allowed to discuss details... (I was reminded of this)... and out of respect for those actually there, I'm not willing to discuss things and how I'd like to believe I'd have reacted. Once the details and facts come out, maybe I can discuss this event.

Understood. Dont feel compelled to discuss it; That's not what this thread is about.

As the OP, I feel compelled to say that the Cummins incident details are not welcome in this thread. While it reminded me about my posted survival tactics, the actual specifics to Cummins incident are not welcome here. ESPECIALLY since the incident was a murder/suicide.

This discussion is strictly about active shooters and how to survive those specific incidents by putting as much space and solid objects between you and an ACTIVE SHOOTER as possible.

Top Bottom