• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    Like many people I would love to have a 92 FS but the TARUS look alike seems similar excwpt for the saftey location. How much better is a beretta? can a suppressor but put on a Tarus?

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Most parts are interchangable. The spring are the same except the ones that deal with the frame safety. Locking blocks are for the most part interchangable. In all the Taurus and Beretta 92's I have owned the only thing better on the Beretta is the finish and fit and I was always more accurate with the Beretta. My financial situation would determine which one I would get, if I had the cash I would get the Beretta.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are lots of folks who say that the only semi-auto Taurus worth owning is their PT92/96 series...

It's about 95% "Beretta"... With, some say, a vastly improved safety location and function.

Beretta safety is slide-mounted and is "up for fire", whereas the Taurus is frame-mounted and "down for fire" in a more traditional style.

I've never fired a Taurus variation, but I LOVE the Beretta 92/96 pistols.

If you can't quite pony up the $450 - 550 for a used Beretta, but can afford the $300 for the Taurus... I think that all's that's left is for you to buy one.

-J-

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Fit is slightly better on a Beretta, which has the better finish will depend on the individual guns. Accuracy is slightly better with the Beretta. The Beretta might have a slightly better trigger... individual Taurus' can have a better one.

Grip shape is different. Newer manufacture Taurus' all have light rails, which means they no longer fit in holsters made for Berettas (:xmad:). The safety isn't just in a a different location, it works differently. The Beretta is down for decock/safe, up for fire. The Taurus is down for fire, up for safe, all the way down will decock, then spring back to the fire position. Unlike the Beretta, the Taurus can be carried cocked and locked, if one so chooses. The Beretta has a chrome lined barrel, at least all the ones I've owned have, none of the Taurus 92s or 99s I've owned have. Magazines are not interchangeable.

In many respects the Beretta is just a little better. The degree of how much is pretty much reflected in the price difference. If it weren't for the light rail, and my decent sized collection of Beretta 92 holsters, I would frankly prefer the Taurus. I like the safety better, and the 92s and 99s I've owned have all given outstanding service.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fit is slightly better on a Beretta, which has the better finish will depend on the individual guns. Accuracy is slightly better with the Beretta. The Beretta might have a slightly better trigger... individual Taurus' can have a better one.

Grip shape is different. Newer manufacture Taurus' all have light rails, which means they no longer fit in holsters made for Berettas (:xmad:). The safety isn't just in a a different location, it works differently. The Beretta is down for decock/safe, up for fire. The Taurus is down for fire, up for safe, all the way down will decock, then spring back to the fire position. Unlike the Beretta, the Taurus can be carried cocked and locked, if one so chooses. The Beretta has a chrome lined barrel, at least all the ones I've owned have, none of the Taurus 92s or 99s I've owned have. Magazines are not interchangeable.

In many respects the Beretta is just a little better. The degree of how much is pretty much reflected in the price difference. If it weren't for the light rail, and my decent sized collection of Beretta 92 holsters, I would frankly prefer the Taurus. I like the safety better, and the 92s and 99s I've owned have all given outstanding service.

Joe, once again, thanks for 'splaining it much better!

-J-
    (Would rep you...but says I have to spread it around)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Two other things I'd mention is that customer service from Taurus isn't the best and the Beretta will hold it's value better than Taurus.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I think Berettas have a little more consistency in their quality also. You can't beat a good 92fs. :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Two other things I'd mention is that customer service from Taurus isn't the best and the Beretta will hold it's value better than Taurus.

Have you read the comments about Beretta's customer service? Taurus isn't the worst in that department!!

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    additional info please

Thank you so much. I am going to be buying two hand guns before I go and switch center fire rifles. I want a mouse gun (originally thought to be a beretta 21 -.22 if someone is selling, however might change) for ease of carry.

Larger frame pistol for range and selected carry. Right now I own a Jennings( I know people say it is horrible.) I but I have became decent with it and have had 2 jams out of over 800 rounds. I probably going to buy the pistols used if I can find them for a price. I am addressing the pocket gun on another thread.

Back to the subject. I would like a gun that I can fire cheaply so I am thinking 9MM. I am in a place where I have been shooting 1 hr 3-5 times per week. 9mm seems the most affordable for the larger gun and .22 for the pocket gun. I like the Beretta or Taurus because I really concerned with accuracy, consistency, and reliability. Is a head shots at 30 yrd. or so to much to ask? Can one get better at even farther distances?

How much does barrel length and match grade barrels matter like the XDM?

I am concerned with striker fire pistols because the gun is always carried cocked with only the safety stopping it, Same as my Jennings, like the XD/M. I do not want to have to run the slide before I engage my target.

You guy are extremely knowledgeable thank you for your help and opinions. What are guns that would be good for this situation?
    Any Ideas or recommendations? I would like to have around 16 round mags.
    Of course the one catch back. I want to be affordable.

sorry for the novel

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Another minor difference is that the mag from a Baretta won't directly fit a Taurus. My Taurus is around 15 years old so this may be different on the newer ones. You can use the Baretta mag but you have to push in the mag release button as you are sliding it into the Taurus. I don't know if the mag from a Taurus will fit the Baretta or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Shot both, and I have to give it to Beretta. Overall I think it etches out the Taurus. Not saying the Taurus, is not a good gun. Also I have found more accessories for the Beretta. I have seen new Berettas for $500 advertised. That's the way I would go with personally.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    How much does barrel length and match grade barrels matter like the XDM?

I am concerned with striker fire pistols because the gun is always carried cocked with only the safety stopping it, Same as my Jennings, like the XD/M. I do not want to have to run the slide before I engage my target.

snip

I used to shoot man sized rocks at 100+ yards with my PT99 when out plinking with my friends. Hit 'em way more often than not. I sincerely doubt I'd have the same results now, but that's not the gun's fault!

Carrying a striker fired gun cocked (or actually half cocked in the case of Glock's) is an absolute non-issue from the point of the guns themselves. It's no different than a 1911 that's always cocked and locked. It's how the guns are designed to be carried. BTW, the guns do have safeties in place to keep the gun from being fired unless you pull the trigger. I cannot think of a modern striker fired gun that doesn't have a firing pin block. If this is your only concern, you may be doing yourself a disservice by not checking out guns like the XD, XDm, M&Ps, and Glocks.

The match grade barrel in the XDm does make a noticeable difference in terms of accuracy. I've only shot one once, but it seemed to be a match for the 92FS in terms of accuracy.

If you are shooting that much, and it's largely target shooting, you may also want to look at getting yourself a nice .22 pistol in addition to a 9mm. For around $250-$300 new, you can get a nice little paper puncher, and skills practiced with it transfer directly to your 9mm. You can shoot 200-250 .22s for the price of just one box of 9mm, and they are lots of fun!!

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    When I had a Beretta and my BIL had a Taurus we compared the two pistols inside and out. We both noticed that the machine work (some call it fit and finish) was nicer on the Beretta. Using slower feed on the milling operations and keeping sharper cutters and end mills gives a higher quality to the finished product. Though, I have noticed that Taurus has come a long way since their firearms first showed up in the U.S. :yesway:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Check out a Taurus 24/7 PRO DS. They come with a 13 round and a 16 (or is it 17) round mag, have an external safety and decocker. You don't have to carry it cocked - the first shot would be DA, and hence have a little heavier trigger pull. The compact version is very comfortable to carry, they are available in all the popular calibers (9mm, .40 and .45 caliber), and can be had for a little over $400 new. I used to have one in 9mm, and I liked it a lot. I only sold it to reduce the number of handgun calibers I had to keep stocked.

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    thank you thank you thank you

I used to shoot man sized rocks at 100+ yards with my PT99 when out plinking with my friends. Hit 'em way more often than not. I sincerely doubt I'd have the same results now, but that's not the gun's fault!

Carrying a striker fired gun cocked (or actually half cocked in the case of Glock's) is an absolute non-issue from the point of the guns themselves. It's no different than a 1911 that's always cocked and locked. It's how the guns are designed to be carried. BTW, the guns do have safeties in place to keep the gun from being fired unless you pull the trigger. I cannot think of a modern striker fired gun that doesn't have a firing pin block. If this is your only concern, you may be doing yourself a disservice by not checking out guns like the XD, XDm, M&Ps, and Glocks.

The match grade barrel in the XDm does make a noticeable difference in terms of accuracy. I've only shot one once, but it seemed to be a match for the 92FS in terms of accuracy.

If you are shooting that much, and it's largely target shooting, you may also want to look at getting yourself a nice .22 pistol in addition to a 9mm. For around $250-$300 new, you can get a nice little paper puncher, and skills practiced with it transfer directly to your 9mm. You can shoot 200-250 .22s for the price of just one box of 9mm, and they are lots of fun!!

You know just opened a new can of worms. with letting in striker fires. I am always eager to other opinions. I am planning to get a pocket pistol (I was going to go with a .22 but other member are making me rethink that caliber) and a 9mm. I want to shoot the guns I own often and be great at handling them. I have another thread about the pocket pistol. The 9mm will be for some carrying, but I want a fun gun I love to shoot. I wish there was a perfect combo for this situation. Before I was able to find your this site the original plan was to get a beretta 21a .22 I heard the taurus counter part was not accurate, true?,new price found was $280, used price were not any cheaper. Then a 92FS, if I can find one in good shape for a decent price hopefully $350 or 99 Taurus 9mm.

I have learned so much information over the last few days my head is spinning with so many great ideas about many guns I have never even heard of before. It does seem sensible to a a consistant triger pull. But I do not want a DA heavy pull everytime. I want to be able to fire round quickly with out the trigger pull moving my sights.

I am still contiuing my search and hope to have some purchases in the near future. I want to get it right thought. Please feel free to email me any guns you might want to get rid of any guns to fill these needs. \

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    When I mentioned getting a .22, I was thinking more of a paper puncher than a little mouse gun to carry. Something along the lines of a S&W 22A, Ruger 22/45, Beretta Neos, or Browning Buckmark. The money you save in ammo pays for the gun very quickly, and the bullseye shooting skills translate directly into any other gun you'll shoot.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    On the Berretta topic, I saw one advertised as "Made in Italy", is that somehow better than one made whereever else they make them? Does that mean older manufacture?

Top Bottom