• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    LOL. As I documented in another thread where we were arguing about prohibition, consumption did drop sharply the year after prohibition started, then steadily increased for the remaining years, but never reached the level it was at prior to prohibition.

So again, seriously, stop with the dishonest posts about prohibition. The facts aren't on your side and persisting in your claims is willfully dishonest, willfully ignorant, or both.

If Prohibition worked so well, and was such a good idea, as you obviously believe, why do you think it was repealed?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Again, my larger point is 1920's prohibition was very different than what we have today, so ANY comparison is flawed.
    Oh brother. There are tons of applicable comparisons.

Both are inherently anti-capitalist.
    Both subvert the free market.
    Both take away individual liberty.
    Both undermine property rights.
    Both imprison non-violent people.
    Both create government bureaucracy.
    Both expand the power of the Feds.
    Both undermine state sovereignty.
    Both create black markets.
    Both give rise to organized crime.
    Both spurred violence rates.
    Both are incompatible with a free society.

One worthwhile difference is that 1920s prohibition at least was done via constitutional amendment. What you support today is flagrantly unconstitutional.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'd support legalization if home invasions, robberies, and other violent crimes committed while under the influence resulted in an automatic death penalty. If you want your drugs you better be able to keep on the straight and narrow. None of that **** with breaking into my house for money to get your fix.

I would argue that you are trying to make siamese twins out of two entirely separate issues. I don't give a damn why someone breaks in, what state of inebriation he is or is not in, or what he plans to do with the things he steals from me. He needs to either be shot on the spot or have free room and board for a very long time. Philosophically I agree with the death penalty for violent crime, but do not trust our corrupt government with that power aside from treason proven to constitutional standards.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Well, he DID break the law. Even if the law is unpopular, that doesn't mean you should break it. What was he expecting to happen after that anyway? That LE was going to let this slide?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, he DID break the law. Even if the law is unpopular, that doesn't mean you should break it. What was he expecting to happen after that anyway? That LE was going to let this slide?

He did break the law, but the law needs to be enforced equally or it fails to be just. Even the UN agrees on that. United Nations and the Rule of Law

Maybe he was expecting LE to let it slide. Maybe he was expecting the same thing that happened to David Gregory from Meet The Press... Michelle Malkin | Did NBC?s David Gregory violate DC gun law on Meet the Press? «

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    He did break the law, but the law needs to be enforced equally or it fails to be just. Even the UN agrees on that. United Nations and the Rule of Law

Maybe he was expecting LE to let it slide. Maybe he was expecting the same thing that happened to David Gregory from Meet The Press... Michelle Malkin | Did NBC?s David Gregory violate DC gun law on Meet the Press? «

I agree, it should be enforced equally. What David Gregory did and what Kokesh did are a little different, though. Kokesh had intention to break the law in the open, not sure what Gregory's story was but I doubt it was intentionally done to break the law. Either way, he took a huge risk and is paying the price.

csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree, it should be enforced equally. What David Gregory did and what Kokesh did are a little different, though. Kokesh had intention to break the law in the open, not sure what Gregory's story was but I doubt it was intentionally done to break the law. Either way, he took a huge risk and is paying the price.

David Gregory/NBC had contacted the DC PD and was told NOT TO DO IT. He did it anyway.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

:facepalm:

David Gregory/NBC had contacted the DC PD and was told NOT TO DO IT. He did it anyway.

^This!!!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

Well in that case, they should have arrested him.

@jedi whether the legality of the law is questionable, it is STILL the law. You break it, there are consequences if you're caught. Simple as that. Kokesh was a Grade A dummy to walk into DC while OCing a loaded firearm without permission. Same thing with David Gregory. Stupid comes in many forms.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

@jedi whether the legality of the law is questionable, it is STILL the law. You break it, there are consequences if you're caught. Simple as that. Kokesh was a Grade A dummy to walk into DC while OCing a loaded firearm without permission. Same thing with David Gregory. Stupid comes in many forms.
    What Adam did was a true act of civil disobedience, a time honoured tradition of civil Rights activists. I support Adam in his endeavour. Bad laws should be disobeyed and broken all the time.
    “One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

“Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it.”
    Howard Zinn

“An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

“An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so. Now the law of nonviolence says that violence should be resisted not by counter-violence but by nonviolence. This I do by breaking the law and by peacefully submitting to arrest and imprisonment.”
    Mahatma Gandhi, Non-violence in Peace and War 1942-49

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

What Adam did was a true act of civil disobedience, a time honoured tradition of civil Rights activists. I support Adam in his endeavour. Bad laws should be disobeyed and broken all the time.

TY mrjarrell you said it better than I could have.

@MisterChester
    The new law of the land is health insurance. Do you have it? Hope not otherwise you are a criminal as well.
    The new law of the land is no books not approved by the .gov. Do you have any? Hope not otherwise you are a criminal as well.
    The new law of the land is you will pay into social security. Are you? Hope you are otherwise you are a criminal as well.

Need I go on?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

They should be by those who are willing to face the consequences. Not everyone who disagrees with laws break them. I certainly do not agree with DC's gun laws, but I am not willing to go there and OC firearms against their laws. Personally I would try to overturn the laws through the system. The SCOTUS themselves thought their ownership laws were BS, so that gives them some hope. I do think their gun laws are unconstitutional, and I really do hope they are changed.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    TY mrjarrell you said it better than I could have.

@MisterChester
    The new law of the land is health insurance. Do you have it? Hope not otherwise you are a criminal as well.
    Yes I do. You would be breaking the law if you didn't pay the penalty. Not having insurance itself isn't breaking the law.
    The new law of the land is no books not approved by the .gov. Do you have any? Hope not otherwise you are a criminal as well.
    What books are banned? That's new to me.
    The new law of the land is you will pay into social security. Are you? Hope you are otherwise you are a criminal as well.
    Already do and rightfully so.

Need I go on?
    Be my guest!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

There is nothing questionable about the law. It is flagrantly unconstitutional, and while someone should be seeing a long stay in prison, Kokesh is not that person.

Top Bottom