• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    So, I've decided to add some doodads to my AR. I have an ASAP from Magpul and trying to loosen the castle nut with my recently acquired Tapco wrench, I've succeeded in boogering up the castle nut! The wrench doesn't fit the nut quite right and slips off every time. I've ordered a couple of DPMS castle nuts to replace the boogered up nut. But the problem I hve is getting the original castle nut loose. Any ideas? Any experience out there? Will I need to get a different wrench? (I probably will since this one doesn't fit on this castle nut.) ANy recommendations on a wrench? Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Muscle, a hammer, and a good wrench... if that fails, I guess you could try to drill out the stake.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Since you already messed that one up go ahead and take a large flat head screw driver. Take a hammer and that screw driver and drive the castle nut loose. This worked on mine when it was staked it. Your wrench should fit the other castle nuts fit. It's the staking thats making it slip. Just be careful when doing the screw driver method not to mess up the threads on the buffer tube.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Since you already messed that one up go ahead and take a large flat head screw driver. Take a hammer and that screw driver and drive the castle nut loose. This worked on mine when it was staked it. Your wrench should fit the other castle nuts fit. It's the staking thats making it slip. Just be careful when doing the screw driver method not to mess up the threads on the buffer tube.

I'll work on it as soon as the new nut comes in, should be in a couple of days.

Thanks for the info. I'm new at this and am learning as I screw things up.LOL

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I just got myself one of these. They are on back-order though now. It is always wise to invest in quality AR parts/tools.
    773840.jpg

Top Bottom