• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to insulate this wall. It's in the attic above my garage (unconditioned) and the other side of the wall is my sons closet...and it's much cooler than the rest of the house in there. There's a plastic vapor barrier under the non faced insulation, which doesn't appear to have any rips or tears in it. Do I just need to add more non faced insulation, and put it horizontally across that wall?

bTFcGND.jpg

I'm planning to add more blown in insulation in the attic above the house and will likely just put some on top of this spot (vaulted ceiling in the living room. Is there any reason not to and go with more insulation, similar to what's already there?

iPUrAs3.jpg

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Is the whole room colder or just the closet.

Im assuming there is siding above the roof line on the top portion of the closet(outer wall)? Is the wall facing southwest where it gets blasted from wind?

Maybe narrowing down where the coldest part of the room is with a laser thermometer may show whether its floor or wall.

I see big holes drilled for wire. Those can chase cold air into wall and floor spaces from the garage. At least foaming those would be a plus.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Foam insulate any wire or pipe penetrations, Class 3 vapor barrier, and cut rigid foam board insulation to screw over the studs and existing insulation? Might have to ask someone more knowledgeable about condensation management, but foam board you could cut to fit and cover that whole wall. Replace the fiberglass if it's deteriorated.

No problem bulking up blown insulation but make sure any soffit vents still have airflow when you're done.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Is the whole room colder or just the closet.

Im assuming there is siding above the roof line on the top portion of the closet(outer wall)? Is the wall facing southwest where it gets blasted from wind?

Maybe narrowing down where the coldest part of the room is with a laser thermometer may show whether its floor or wall.

I see big holes drilled for wire. Those can chase cold air into wall and floor spaces from the garage. At least foaming those would be a plus.
    Well, that's embarrassing. I didn't spend much time up there today looking at it, but I'm willing to bet the wiring holes are most of the issue.

I'll hit those with spray foam.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I insulated all the exterior wall outlets in my house as I worked in each room. BIG difference. Small things matter.
    Amen to that.

I did that when we bought this place (and the last one).

TK Homes built this house 25 years ago, I think it has more build quality issues than our last house (Centex built 20 years ago). That, or I can't remember all the small projects I did when we bought the Centex one.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bought a thermal imaging camera (used) for such issues when we bought the home we are in now.

Like you, I figured it would be a somewhat bigger area than what the camera showed it to be.

Our home was insulated from the outside in according to the previous home owner. Appears to be accurate.

They drilled many holes in the mortar and blew it in (not foam). Can verify that with the outlets I have added. Only found one hole they failed to seal back up.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I bought a thermal imaging camera (used) for such issues when we bought the home we are in now.

Like you, I figured it would be a somewhat bigger area than what the camera showed it to be.
    Not a bad idea.

Overall we're satisfied, just have that one closet that's a bit cold.

I'll top off the blown in insulation in the attic over the house soon, I've done that on my other two houses and it does help.

Too many outdoor projects I wanted to get wrapped up before the cold weather hit.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    How'd you do that? Insulated outlet boxes, or just packed fiberglass around it better or what?
    Shut off power, pull the outlet out, wrapped the contacts in tape, put fiberglass in the back of the box, reinstalled outlet and filled in around it. Cover and power back on.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    A few years ago installed soffit vents on my house due to wind blowing cellulose away then insulated with r-30 rolls. Big I mean big difference in summer and winter.
    Could be the wind not an expert but the cellulose aka blown in stuff settled really bad and seemed like no time was seeing the rafters again and it was put in heavy.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Add a quality vapor barrier and tape all the seams and edges. Stopping the flow of air no matter how small will give you the best results.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The holes have been foamed and yes, there is a plastic vapor barrier already on that wall.

I'll let it be for a while and see if there's any improvement.

Any thoughts on adding more batted insulation, horizontally across that wall (and over what's already there)? Non faced of course.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    My opinion would be to nail up some foam board (over the studs/insulation) and tape the seams. Your vapor barrier is where it needs to be. Stop the air leak around the insulation in place between the studs.

And yes the drilled holes from garage attic to whatever is behind the 2x6’s will channel that cold attic air. Always foam the outside to inside penetration’s and now they even call for fire caulking as code.

Top Bottom