Bill-Cosby-Jello-Pop-GIF.gif

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    i had a buddy who wasn't afraid of the terrorist either and decided to take a trip against my advice. He got beheaded. I just think it's stupid to intentionally put yourself and family in danger even if there is a
    slight chance. Hell they even are killing fellow Muslims so no one is safe over there. Obviously it's your life but that would suck if something happened

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    i had a buddy who wasn't afraid of the terrorist either and decided to take a trip against my advice. He got beheaded. I just think it's stupid to intentionally put yourself and family in danger even if there is a
    slight chance. Hell they even are killing fellow Muslims so no one is safe over there. Obviously it's your life but that would suck if something happened

Well, we all have to reside in our tolerance for risk. Given there's 40,000-ish traffic fatalities in the US a year, I'm probably in more danger driving to Atlanta than I am taking a train to Paris for a few days. To me, it's worth doing, and my wife agrees.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Doesnt really seem like that big of a deal to me. Your odds of getting attacked by some form of terrorist increase when going into any large city. Paris might be a bit more safer even with all the police/ military right now. Now id be impressed if you were to go see the sights of aleppo. Not sure why youd want to, but that would definitely not be allowing terrorists to mess with your travel plans.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Kudos to those like BBI who refuse cower in fear and/or xenophobia.

And shame on the few here who do. If your afraid of travel, then "the terrorist have won" in your home (sorry to use the cliché). Or if look upon the French and other foreigners with disdain then you share the same closed mindedness with the terrorist.

Personally, I wish I had time and money - I'd love to go back to gay Paris and take my wife with me this time. I won't bother telling you, BBI, where you 'need' to go - you'll figure it out, plus there's just too many 'must sees' in Paris.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

And shame on the few here who do. If your afraid of travel, then "the terrorist have won" in your home (sorry to use the cliché). Or if look upon the French and other foreigners with disdain then you share the same closed mindedness with the terrorist.

Personally, I wish I had time and money - I'd love to go back to gay Paris and take my wife with me this time. I won't bother telling you, BBI, where you 'need' to go - you'll figure it out, plus there's just too many 'must sees' in Paris.

Time you just have to take. We save for about two years to take a trip. It's not always easy, but tax refunds and a set amount each month add up over 2 years.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:+1:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Time you just have to take. We save for about two years to take a trip. It's not always easy, but tax refunds and a set amount each month add up over 2 years.

What's a tax refund?

Truth be told, we were in the Baltics in August. Great place, affordable, lot's of history and no one expected to see Americans there.

Next up may be the Balkans.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

"Sure, I’ve been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I’m not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren’t as good. That used to be called patriotism."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Sure, I’ve been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I’m not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren’t as good. That used to be called patriotism."

Being afraid of others is not the same thing as being proud of your own country.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was treated wonderfully by everyone there. I made the very small step of trying to speak French and the folks went out of their way to lend a hand and be helpful, polite, and kind.

Part of the misconception about rudeness is twofold. First, our cultures are slightly different. So what we expect as "good" is exactly the opposite in some areas. For example, here in America it is considered good service to have the waiter/waitress pester you every few minutes to see if you need or want something. Over there, they bring you your food and then leave you the hell alone to enjoy your dinner in privacy! If you want something you can always ask, but otherwise you paid for the table and it is considered rude to keep bothering you. Misconception of good or rude.

Second, most folks that go to France go where? Paris. And what is Paris? A big darn city! How many of us expect kindly, friendly treatment from folks in Chicago or Atlanta or New York? Big cities are the same all over the world, so for those who go to France and only see Paris you are going to get a slightly skewed view of their culture. Visit Indianapolis versus a small town in Indiana and you'll see, on average, a similar difference in how people treat you.

9/11 is what made it possible for me to go to Europe. God love the wimpy folks scurrying for the dark, too terrified to travel. The airlines were hurting and my round trip from Chicago to London then Brussels to Chicago was $340.60.:rockwoot:

You are probably already aware but you can save a lot of money if you book the first leg of your journey in the off season. That is what I did. Leave on or before Mar 31st and it doesn't matter when the return trip is. The start of the good season was Apr 1st, so as long as you start before then you should save a few hundred dollars. Besides, Paris will be wonderful in springtime. Taking a boat trip down the Seine River relaxing and enjoying the view is a great experience.

Regards,

Doug

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was treated wonderfully by everyone there. I made the very small step of trying to speak French and the folks went out of their way to lend a hand and be helpful, polite, and kind.

Part of the misconception about rudeness is twofold. First, our cultures are slightly different. So what we expect as "good" is exactly the opposite in some areas. For example, here in America it is considered good service to have the waiter/waitress pester you every few minutes to see if you need or want something. Over there, they bring you your food and then leave you the hell alone to enjoy your dinner in privacy! If you want something you can always ask, but otherwise you paid for the table and it is considered rude to keep bothering you. Misconception of good or rude.

Second, most folks that go to France go where? Paris. And what is Paris? A big darn city! How many of us expect kindly, friendly treatment from folks in Chicago or Atlanta or New York? Big cities are the same all over the world, so for those who go to France and only see Paris you are going to get a slightly skewed view of their culture. Visit Indianapolis versus a small town in Indiana and you'll see, on average, a similar difference in how people treat you.

9/11 is what made it possible for me to go to Europe. God love the wimpy folks scurrying for the dark, too terrified to travel. The airlines were hurting and my round trip from Chicago to London then Brussels to Chicago was $340.60.:rockwoot:

You are probably already aware but you can save a lot of money if you book the first leg of your journey in the off season. That is what I did. Leave on or before Mar 31st and it doesn't matter when the return trip is. The start of the good season was Apr 1st, so as long as you start before then you should save a few hundred dollars. Besides, Paris will be wonderful in springtime. Taking a boat trip down the Seine River relaxing and enjoying the view is a great experience.

Regards,

Doug

Agreed.
    I'm French and find the Parisians rude too. :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Mostly this - although I think Indy still has a small town vibe in most places. Apparently not the east side.

I am fortunate enough to be related to some French people. They agree: Parisians are more likely to be rude, even by their own standards. Pretty much just like we think of New Yorkers.

Have you tried speaking French?

I LOL'd. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Actually, it's called chauvinism or nationalism.

über alles...

Top Bottom