• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Running a 10.5 inch 6.5 grendel SBR with a can.

Found that even without the can, rifle was way overgassed.
    Bought an SLR AGB.

I understand the trial and error process of adjusting. Does anyone have experience with these before I go to the range and start from zero? It's got 15 settings. My first idea is to start at halfway and see how the rifle functions.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    At 10.5 I would want a gas diverting charging handle too. Grendel is excellent in a short barrel, but it is going to be gassy.

Tuning from the middle should be fine. Go low til it stops running then bring it back up.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I like to start with the gas block almost closed and then adjust it open. When tuning, only load one round in the mag. What you are looking for is the lowest setting which will lock the bolt back. Once you find that, give it a little more gas to give you some margin for cold weather or a dirty gun.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Running a 10.5 inch 6.5 grendel SBR with a can.

Found that even without the can, rifle was way overgassed.
    Bought an SLR AGB.

I understand the trial and error process of adjusting. Does anyone have experience with these before I go to the range and start from zero? It's got 15 settings. My first idea is to start at halfway and see how the rifle functions.

The SLR is a two-stage block. At wide open it bleeds off gas and a lot. As you close it it bleeds off less and pressure builds. Then as you close it past the "max gas" point is starts to restrict gas flow like an orifice. So you might want to start at the "max gas" point near the middle and decide whether you are going to reduce gas by bleeding it off or by restricting the flow back to the tube. Then back it in or out depending on which direction you want to go until it won't lock back the weakest round you intend to shoot under the conditions you will shoot it. Then go one click more gas just for reliability.

I'm putting together an upper right now and have decided to skip the AGB because of the extra maintenance and potential for them carboning up and such. I can get my gun to run as I wish just fiddling with A5 buffers and springs.

Last edited:

TolusD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Dream World
    I have a JPE AGB on my AR and my wife's has an Odinworks. I like the Odinworks design a lot better. I think it looks better too.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I like to start with the gas block almost closed and then adjust it open. When tuning, only load one round in the mag. What you are looking for is the lowest setting which will lock the bolt back. Once you find that, give it a little more gas to give you some margin for cold weather or a dirty gun.

Good approach. Using a weaker factory load like PMC or brown bear or such can also help ensure you get some margin.

sgthud

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Fishers
    Just installed an Aero adjustable gas block on my 10.5" upper...hopefully going to the range next week to tune it. My plan was to go fully closed and open up from there

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This turned out to be what I did.

I was surprised to see that it only took the 2nd setting (out of 15) to function normally suppressed. I only turned a few more times open (4-5) to run it normally without the can; it was so loud I only tested a few rounds. I was right next to a guy teaching his significant other how to shoot, and didn't want to be "hand cannon sbr at the next lane" guy.

Very happy with the testing today.

Top Bottom