• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I have been thinking about the disaster in Japan and what would we do if this happened in the US and a sad fact dawned on me. I think many would resort to looting - similar to what we saw in Katrina. As I watch the Japanese on tv I have to say I admire them and how they conduct themselves - that is, the common man in the streets. I have been to Japan and the people really love americans and seemed to genuinely care about meeting my needs and I never felt they were trying to take advantage of me. I think their nature is showing in this instance.
    Why do some cultures react to disaster by reverting to everyone for himself, but others – especially the Japanese – display altruism even in adversity? Remarkable. I think we can learn much from them.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    they are being model citizens for sure. it is very impressive. here i believe the problem to be our judicial system is a joke and most of them don't believe in the higher power. who cares if they get arrested for murder, they will do 10-15 years w/ free gym, food, electricity, roof over there head ect ect, don't believe in god so what's to worry about if they die?

in japan i believe they are much more structured with a totally different mentality where they respect each other and their fellow man, they still believe in doing the right thing ect. i also believe they have a much tougher penal code.

either way i agree it is impressive and hopefully they continue on the path they are on.

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    i believe the problem to be our judicial system is a joke and most of them don't believe in the higher power. who cares if they get arrested for murder, they will do 10-15 years w/ free gym, food, electricity, roof over there head ect ect, don't believe in god so what's to worry about if they die?

THIS! what's that Tyrone,jimbob,pedro? got 10 years for selling crack,meth,weed? oh you don't care because you get food, education, cable, gym equipment, and a decent place to stay with 24 hour security and don't have to pay for your 6 illegitimate children? AND ALL FOR FREE!!! DARN WHAT A BUMMER :xmad:

also i believe honor still has a hold in japan... it is a sad condition today's youth is in, it makes me ashamed to be included with them :(

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    they are being model citizens for sure. it is very impressive. here i believe the problem to be our judicial system is a joke and most of them don't believe in the higher power. who cares if they get arrested for murder, they will do 10-15 years w/ free gym, food, electricity, roof over there head ect ect, don't believe in god so what's to worry about if they die?

in japan i believe they are much more structured with a totally different mentality where they respect each other and their fellow man, they still believe in doing the right thing ect. i also believe they have a much tougher penal code.

either way i agree it is impressive and hopefully they continue on the path they are on.

The JAPANESE people believe in the BUSHIDO CODE Bushido - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    The entire world needs to learn from these honorable people and how they progressed in such a short time. They deserve much support in this tragedy, they are the most appreciative out of anyone.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    ... I think their nature is showing in this instance.
    Why do some cultures react to disaster by reverting to everyone for himself, but others – especially the Japanese – display altruism even in adversity? Remarkable. I think we can learn much from them.

As others have also said, I think their cultural values serve them well in situations like this. As for the question you ask, my theory is that when a culture is based, like America's, on the ideals of individual freedoms, individual rights, individual honor, it's only "natural" that under stress, the people of that culture would tend to turn to an "every man for himself" approach.

I'm not so sure it's correct to call the Japanese response "altruistic" though -- motivation to help others without any desire for reward. I think it is more a sense of "duty" that stems from the Japanese sense of moral obligation to maintain what they see as honor.

Just my $0.02 for whatever it's worth.

Top Bottom