• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Hey all. I finally got a security system installed at my apartment. I haven't had any problems with crime around here but it is not the best area. The main reason I wanted one was to stop having to cart most of my guns and some ammo with me when I traveled up to NW Indiana a few times a month.

After looking at the available options for security systems out there my fiance and I decided on ADT. It was pricier than some other options out there but we can afford it. Any of you guys use them? Have any problems/complaints? Has ADT ever stopped a break-in at anyone's home?...Im just trying to find out what I can expect from them.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I dunno about ADT security, but I have ROTT security, and love it!

9ef2204e.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Has ADT ever stopped a break-in at anyone's home?...Im just trying to find out what I can expect from them.
    Security systems/companies do NOT stop break ins.

There are 2 divergent theories to alarm systems.
    1- Silent Alarm, catch them in the act.
    2- Loud Siren, scare them off as/after they break in.

So the system itself doesn't stop anything it simply alerts the monitoring service that something bad is happening and allows them to contact the police, you, friends, etc.

Having the ADT stickers on your windows and doors will cause SOME crooks to go to another house/apartment but not all. An added benefit with ADT is that the name is well recognized and that alone may cause some criminals to find a softer target and leave you alone.

Just curious, what is the monthly monitoring fee from ADT?

I dunno about ADT security, but I have ROTT security, and love it!
    I have AKITA security (a VERY AGGRESSIVE Japanese guard dog, similar to German Shepard in size, looks more like an Alaskan Malamute) and we had a break in where the criminals threw concrete landscape blocks at the dog until she could defend no more. She did survive.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Security systems/companies do NOT stop break ins.

There are 2 divergent theories to alarm systems.
    1- Silent Alarm, catch them in the act.
    2- Loud Siren, scare them off as/after they break in.

So the system itself doesn't stop anything it simply alerts the monitoring service that something bad is happening and allows them to contact the police, you, friends, etc.

Having the ADT stickers on your windows and doors will cause SOME crooks to go to another house/apartment but not all. An added benefit with ADT is that the name is well recognized and that alone may cause some criminals to find a softer target and leave you alone.

Just curious, what is the monthly monitoring fee from ADT?

I have AKITA security (a VERY AGGRESSIVE Japanese guard dog, similar to German Shepard in size, looks more like an Alaskan Malamute) and we had a break in where the criminals threw concrete landscape blocks at the dog until she could defend no more. She did survive.
    Yea I know they dont STOP anything...I guess I meant deter them after the alarm sounded from a break-in.
    As far as the rates go it is $43/month and the installation of my system was $99 after $200 rebate. The better systems cost quite a bit more for install but are a little less/month.
    I read some of your thread about your break-in, I hope your dog is doing ok...too bad she didn't make a meal out of those P.O.S's

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Had ADT for about 2 yrs. Never a problem. Just make sure you call them to test your system about once a month. I also pay about 40 a month

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...the rates go it is $43/month and the installation of my system was $99 after $200 rebate. The better systems cost quite a bit more for install but are a little less/month.
    I read some of your thread about your break-in, I hope your dog is doing ok...too bad she didn't make a meal out of those P.O.S's

$43 a month is very expensive BUT your installation cost was very inexpensive. I suspect your month fee is paying for the actual cost of installing the total system. It seems like a pretty good trade off.

My dog has recovered. She's doing fine. They now have 2 in jail plus the girlfriend of one of them as an accessory. Another is being sought.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I purposely decided to not go w/ADT due to the price. My monitoring company is UL listed and has 3 or 4 call centers (don't recall exactly) across the country. Always have prompt call backs when I conduct regular tests or if/when there's a system issue, they call and let me know. All for $9/mo.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    For what it's worth, I used to dispatch in a 911 center. There was a gas station who used an alarm company that had their system direct wired to the police department. When the officers talked on a certain radio band, it would set the alarm off if they were within a block or two of this gas station.

Needless to say they either regularly forgot or thought it was funny to make me do work. So, whenever they talked on that band, they would be sure to let me know that they were near the gas station and to disregard the alarm if it came through the panel. On average the delay was about 7-9 minutes before I received the alarm. Now, if it was a real alarm, there would be 3-5 minutes before the officers arrived on scene. That means you are looking at crooks having 10-14 minutes before the police get there and that's with an alarm that's direct to the police department. You can add another 5-7 minutes if it goes to the alarm company and they call the police department.

Now I currently work as a LEO. I can tell you sometimes there are just trouble locations where the alarm always acts goofy but, every now and then if you get a bunch of repeat alarms when a business is closed, there is a good chance that the crooks are looking for the routes and arrival times of the LEOs. They want to see how long they have inside,

My main point here is that the average stupid kid would be scared off by a sticker. The professional burglar knows exactly how long he has and nothing short of you standing in your doorway with a loaded .45 is going to stop him. If you want to stop the average stupid kid up to but not including the pros, get some stickers and by an "alarm box" from a hardware store. That way when a door opens, the "alarm" (actually just a siren coming from the box) will sound, and the burglar will run away. It saves you a whole lot of money in alarm permits and monthly fees.

And remember, it won't scare the pros away but, neither will the ADT system that you would spend all of the extra money on. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    On fire protection. After my neighbor had a house fire a few years ago, I added smoke/fire sensors to my alarm system. He was home, called moments after it started and still had a tremendous amount of damage. If you're not home when it happens it's likely to be a total loss.

BTW - this should be post #19 in the thread. I have no idea how it got here. Weird.

Last edited:

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Installed my own GE system and used all wireless sensors. Used the included monitoring service for 1 year but now have it call my cell phone and neighbors phones. Also have outdoor sirens and strobe lights.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I pay 38.99 a month to ADT for burglar and Fire protection. Have had it for about two years and not had a problem yet. part of this fee also includes life time replacement of the system for any reason. I specifically asked about lightening/fire/flood and normal aging of the system and they said all would be covered and you wouldn't pay a dime. to get the system repaired.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    All these points about alarm systems being to deter are valid, but there's still some real value to the Fire protection.

Insurance is good too, but without an alarm there may not be anyone to call the FD when you castle starts smoking....and lets not forget the pets trapped in said home.

As far as that suggestion about the alarm box goes....I came home to find the apartment maintenance man had removed and silenced it without any real problem. May have been better off with the remote location box.

michael b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Fishers
    Can I expand on the original question?

My wife and I are trying to decide between getting an ADT home security system, a system of surveillance cameras, or both. Here are my thoughts. I think that we will be just fine with an alarm system. There will be sensors on most windows and doorways that will warn you of an intruder. My wife thinks that we should get a bunch of cameras and that will deter any kind of burglar. I think cameras will only capture the crime and do no good. The police will only see the video after the fact. Or, we could get both and really have a heightened sense of security. Any thoughts/feedback? What kind of setup does everyone else have? We live on the north side of Indianapolis (Fishers), so we feel safe, yet vulnerable at the same time.

MB

Top Bottom