• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Had to stop by the local BMV to renew some plates, etc...

There seem to be a lot of non-english speaking, non-spanish speaking, possibly 'french accent' visitors there in line to get something?

Are they getting IN drivers licenses or ID's? I was afraid to ask the staff.

>>> This is a legitimate question and not a dig on anyone. I'm just curious what the state/BMV is providing them.

Keep it civil.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area

There seem to be a lot of non-english speaking, non-spanish speaking, possibly 'french accent' visitors there in line to get something?

>>> This is a legitimate question and not a dig on anyone. I'm just curious what the state/BMV is providing them.

Keep it civil.
    If they live in Indiana now, then it could be a drivers license, learners permit or state id.

From the BMV site:

Residents with an Out-of-Country License​

An out-of-country driver's license cannot be used for identification purposes. Out-of-country driver's license must be in English or presented with a verifiably accurate English translation of the document.

If you have an out-of-country driver's license and intend to become an Indiana resident and also wish to obtain an Indiana driver’s license, you must provide an English translation of your driver’s license or your International Driving Permit. You must also pass the vision screening, written knowledge examination and driving skills examination to obtain an Indiana driver's license.

All documents proving your identity, Social Security number, lawful status, and Indiana residency will be verified through a central verification process. The BMV will issue an interim license, valid for 30 days, authorizing the holder to drive pending authentication of documents submitted to the BMV.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I happened to need to do business at the BMV in August. The place was packed. There was plenty of help working at the BMV, but everything was moving very slow because of language barriers. An old man and myself seemed to be the only English speakers in the place. I watched as an Asian woman was doing all her business through a translator app in a smart phone. (I am sure that works great in the middle of heavy traffic). A group of islamic people that came in together seemed to not even understand each other. I am sure that being across the bridge from Purdue University at the start of the school year had something to do with the experience.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Keep it civil.
    Why not just ask the staff?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Keep it civil.
    Quebecois are invading.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If you’re in Indy, there are a lot of Haitians here now. They speak Haitian Creole, which is really difficult to find a translator.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Went to the BMV yesterday and it was probably the most pleasant experience I've ever had at one. We were called 2 minutes after walking in the door and even though we had several things to get done, were taken care of quickly and efficiently. Greenwood license branch is GTG... :thumbsup:
    Our roads are trash but our BMV is generally excellent. Nobody likes going there but I've always been treated fairly and efficiently. If you're prepared, you cruise right through.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I had to take a picture of the door last time I went. They keep changing hours and even days that they are open. That said last time I was in it was 10 minutes in and out, and the two workers I spoke with were both polite.

Top Bottom