• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just recently received a Winchester 94 as a late Graduation present. It may need a little work. So I need some opinions. The issue is that when the lever is fully extended down, the lever is loose and can be wiggled side to side about 1 or 2 cm on each side or a total travel of 2-4 cm. Is this Normal? Since I have never owned a lever action I have no Idea how tight this should be. Since these are somewhat a brush gun I was thinking this may be normal to allow dirt and sand to be shook out in the event it was dropped in the dirt. So advice would be appreciated!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a puma 92 with a similar design and there is some wiggle in the lever while it's being worked. The main thing as I understand these guns is that the lock up tight when in battery (ready to fire). When you extend the lever do you see a bunch of screw heads or anything that looks like you could tighten on?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cool the action is all pinned together, screws on the side plates. Going to the Winchester website to download instructions. It appears to lock up tight. Just wanted some opinions since I have virtually no experience with a lever gun. Now after ensuring everything is OK I just need to find some practice ammo and go to the range wednesday and try her out!

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Completely normal. Get in the habit of removing your trigger from the area of the trigger guard, or upon closing, the tip of the trigger can pinch your finger between it and the closing lever. Ouch!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the Info, gonna get some ammo and go to Wilbur Wright on thursday put a few down range. I've heard that you can't be a real American unless you own a lever action! Now I don't have that problem. Checked the Winchester Website looks like it was made in 1980 downloaded the owners manual. It's updated for the newer models but should be sufficient to do routine maintenance and cleaning. Next stop bang bang!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    should be sufficient to do routine maintenance and cleaning. Next stop bang bang!

Best cleaning advice I saw was from "Steve's Guns" who's the puma 92 guru. He said to remove the butt stock, open the action and spray it with a carb cleaner. Those carb cleaners get into places you brushes or rags won't. He said spray a couple times, and work the action, then spray again. Wipe it all down and oil where it needs it. Maybe that helps. I've done it with my puma 92 and it did a pretty decent job.

Top Bottom