• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    I'm looking for a little advice on purchasing my first rifle. As a heads up, my knowledge about rifles and guns in general is fairly limited since I'm a newbie.

I'm looking for a simple .22LR rifle that will cost somewhere in the $200-$300 range. I'm basically wanting something I can take to a range that will be reliable and accurate to help me build up some skill in marksmanship in addition to helping me become more comfortable around firearms (I may also be doing an Appleseed with a friend of mine in a few months). I'd also like to get a scope too, which I know almost nothing about, so if you have recommendations for that as well, I'd love to hear them.

I'm not sure if I want a bolt action, lever action or an autoloader (I'm pretty sure I don't want a pump action). I have never owned a gun before, so I have no knowledge or preference on manufacturer.

Suggestions?

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO nikoteo :welcome:

Start with a simple Ruger 10/22.

Click here =
    Ruger 10/22 Autoloading Rifles

You can find Ruger Carbines starting at $225 NIB (new in the box).

The Ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto that comes with one 10 round magazine. You can really cut your teeth with a Ruger. There are numerous things you can do to it to improve it's performance and your knowledge about your rifles at the same time.

Let me know how your rifle project turns out.

TK :ingo:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You can't go wrong with a Marlin model 60 semi-auto, or a Ruger 10/22 although the Ruger is about a foot too short for my long arms. I aint sure about the Ruger, but Wal-mart had a model 60 a few weeks back for $139.00, I've had one for years, and it's a great squirrel gun, and fun shooter.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    simple .22LR rifle
    cost somewhere in the $200-$300 range.
    something I can take to a range
    will be reliable
    and accurate
    help me build up some skill in marksmanship
    helping me become more comfortable around firearms
    I may also be doing an Appleseed
    I'd also like to get a scope
    a bolt action, lever action or an autoloader

All of this says. . . . . .

Suggestions?

Ruger 10/22

beak7707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Terre haute area
    Yes 10/22. Simple, cheap, last forever. Also if you want to later on you can modify every part on one. High cap mags are cheap, tons of aftermarkets parts, great first gun!

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    Well they beat me to it
    Ruger 10/22
    Pick up a used one for around 150 pop a stock on it and start
    Will last almost for ever.
    Then maybe down the road upgrade the crap out of it.
    It has to be the best 22 to upgrade.
    Way too many options to pick from is the only problem.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Alternative to the 10/22 is the is the Remington 597. In my opinion much better balance, and accurate to boot. The Marlin model 60 is another great choice for a semi-auto if you do not mind a tube feed rifle. I also reccomend Marlin bolt action rifles. I own two, and have shot many and never had any issues with any of them. If you do decide on a bolt action. I would look at the Marlin 925R package. Comes with a factory mounted 3x9x32 scope. I paid $214 for mine new in 2008.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I had 4 Marlin model 60's, sold all, bought 2 10/22's never looked back..... I have so many mag's for these, I can shoot almost forever, w/o reloading... Marlin's are good guns, I got tired of loading the tubes... just MHO..... good luck, whatever you buy, be happy....:twocents:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Get it in rifle length

Only thing about the original 10/22 is that is is carbine length, they now make a longer rifle barrel get that one. My 10/22 got stolen a few years ago and I bought a Marlin mod 60 3x9 variable scope It shoots nickle to dime size groups at 50 yrds, just don't like the tube. Gonna keep the marlins but also going to pick up a 10/22

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    (IBTL) Ruger 10/22

You can get them in the ~$200 range, or you can find them more expensive than that if you really want to spend more. Either way, it is going to be reliable and durable. Furthermore, there are tons of accessories available for it, so you can pimp it out to your heart's content.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are wanting a semi-auto. I would suggest a Remington 597, or Marlin model 60. For a bolt action, I would say go with a Marlin or a Savage. As for a scope. I love my Busnell Banner. It's a budget scope, but it has been a great scope on my Savage. Hope that helps!

Top Bottom