• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Advice for ALL gun owners

The current grab for guns has created a frenzied market for firearm purchases. With this comes new gun owners. These new owners love to show off and accessorize their new purchases. Here is some sound information for all new or new to platform (i.e. AR-15) gun owners.

1. SUPPORT an organization or business that supports second amendment rights.
    Obtain a NRA membership, buy products from pro 2A supporters. You have a voice and it is heard loudest through your votes and wallet.

2. GET TRAINING!
    I can't express how important this is. Even if its a basic safety course, please know how to use your new found purchase. I highly recommend a 2-3 day pistol or rifle course from a well know instructor (Haley,Vickers, etc.) At the very least, buy a book or dvd that starts with fundamentals. I also recommend a FoF(force on force) style of training after getting the fundamentals down.

3. SPEND YOUR MONEY WISELY.
    The first accessories you should buy for your gun....AMMO!
    I know ammo prices are horrible right now, but your new firearm is useless with out an adequate supply of ammo.(I like to have 1k rounds per gun at a minimum)
    Next....Magazines. At least 5 per firearm
    and finally. A well made holster or sling (stay away from the universal gun show specials)

4. GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT
    Becoming proficient with your firearm is a fun. I caution to not go out and just shoot paper with no plan. Look up drills and practice programs. Get the fundamentals down first. Try competitions in your area. Competition shooters are a great bunch that will get you squared away in a hurry.

5. DRYFIRE
    So you have no extra money for practice ammo...do what the pros do DRYFIRE. Set up a safe area in your home, REMOVE ALL AMMO from this area, and master the fundamentals. Work on draw, sight alignment and acquisition, trigger prep and control, reloads, transitions, malfunction drills etc. I personally dryfire at least 3 times a week for an hour. The key here is reinforcing PROPER fundamentals. Do it right or don't do it at all.

The point is that firearm owners always welcome new owners. But as an owner, you have the responsibility to at least learn basic safety with a firearm. I strongly recommend becoming beyond proficient with your new purchase. It is fun and could save your life one day (I've used my CCW once to protect myself in the past)

So ignore the urge to accessorize. SUPPORT, TRAIN, AMMO, TRAIN!

Last edited:

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    Lock your firearms up!
    If you ever, ever have kids in your house this is a must. It will also make it harder on burglars.
    I know, lots of guys say "I've talked to my kids, they won't mess with my guns". Well, I have kids, I'm here to tell you they don't always do what they're supposed to.
    Prevent a tragedy, lock 'em up!

TK312

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Cicero
    A lot of good info in this thread. Only thing I can add is learn how to properly field strip and clean your firearms.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    The current grab for guns has created a frenzied market for firearm purchases. With this comes new gun owners. These new owners love to show off and accessorize their new purchases. Here is some sound information for all new or new to platform (i.e. AR-15) gun owners.

1. SUPPORT an organization or business that supports second amendment rights.
    Obtain a NRA membership, buy products from pro 2A supporters. You have a voice and it is heard loudest through your votes and wallet.

2. GET TRAINING!
    I can't express how important this is. Even if its a basic safety course, please know how to use your new found purchase. I highly recommend a 2-3 day pistol or rifle course from a well know instructor (Haley,Vickers, etc.) At the very least, buy a book or dvd that starts with fundamentals. I also recommend a FoF(force on force) style of training after getting the fundamentals down.

3. SPEND YOUR MONEY WISELY.
    The first accessories you should buy for your gun....AMMO!
    I know ammo prices are horrible right now, but your new firearm is useless with out an adequate supply of ammo.(I like to have 1k rounds per gun at a minimum)
    Next....Magazines. At least 5 per firearm
    and finally. A well made holster or sling (stay away from the universal gun show specials)

4. GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT
    Becoming proficient with your firearm is a fun. I caution to not go out and just shoot paper with no plan. Look up drills and practice programs. Get the fundamentals down first. Try competitions in your area. Competition shooters are a great bunch that will get you squared away in a hurry.

5. DRYFIRE
    So you have no extra money for practice ammo...do what the pros do DRYFIRE. Set up a safe area in your home, REMOVE ALL AMMO from this area, and master the fundamentals. Work on draw, sight alignment and acquisition, trigger prep and control, reloads, transitions, malfunction drills etc. I personally dryfire at least 3 times a week for an hour. The key here is reinforcing PROPER fundamentals. Do it right or don't do it at all.

The point is that firearm owners always welcome new owners. But as an owner, you have the responsibility to at least learn basic safety with a firearm. I strongly recommend becoming beyond proficient with your new purchase. It is fun and could save your life one day (I've used my CCW once to protect myself in the past)

So ignore the urge to accessorize. SUPPORT, TRAIN, AMMO, TRAIN!

Looks like you AV was accessorized. :D Good thread.:yesway:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Very good info for me let alone a first time gun owner - will use this to help teach my kids and help reinforce what has already been learned - +1

Last edited:

jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Looks like you AV was accessorized. :D Good thread.:yesway:

It sure was...built custom just for me....After shooting a stock ar and m&p for tens of thousands of rounds. I train, can produce or stocked the ammo and contribute to supporters. Therefore i can accessorize!

jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Ive actually wondered, when you guys dry fire, do you use snap caps or just dry with nothing loaded?

The quick answer is both. Most modern firearms can dryfire with out damage. I use snap caps on reload and malfunction drills. Saves the mag lips when fudging a reload.

sonofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Great thread. I was wondering about gun safes. I bought GunVault today (it's the Nonovault 400. The one iwith the combination access). Any problems with them?

Nigil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Great post! While I have some experience shooting a number of guns, it makes sense to constantly practice even without ammo.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Dry firing. Oh my God. I was always taught to never dry fire. Even in the service, we didnt dry fire. I think I would use snap caps, or at least empty cartridges. I have used those before.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Excelent advice have you thought about forwarding it on to Joe Biden? appears from recent comments to the media he could really stand to review them and apply.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Dry firing. Oh my God. I was always taught to never dry fire. Even in the service, we didnt dry fire. I think I would use snap caps, or at least empty cartridges. I have used those before.

Things do change with time.
    Most modern firearms have no issue's being dry fired.
    Read the owners manual to be sure.

Top Bottom