• ...and so much more!
  • BadWolf5150

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2018
    Marshall County
    Hi all,
    I'm interested in purchasing a handgun mostly for firing at steel and other targets at my backyard range. Not looking for a carry gun. Looking for a fun gun to shoot, that won't break the bank. I'm interested in a revolver because they seem interesting, but am not opposed to a semi-automatic either.

What do ya'll use? Any advice or suggestions? Any brands to stay away from? What caliber would you recommend?

Thanks!!

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have a ruger charger in .22LR.Its a blast to shoot, accurate for backyard fun , and cheap to shoot, with the ability to add options.Love mine, I got the original full wood stock.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Although it doesn’t have adjustable sights I would recommend a pre lock Smith and Wesson Model 10. They are still affordable if you want a shooter grade one. All of mine have shot to point of aim out to 20 yards with 158g ammo.

As a matter of fact there is a very reasonably priced one posted in the classifieds.

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    ANY 686!!!

The 686 is a "hoot to shoot"!!! The 4 inch barreled models are very well balanced. I started with a standard 686(4 inch/.357 mag). Now I have a SSR and I love it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you want to have fun affordability, ammunition is going to be a pretty significant expense at some point.

Will .22 scratch that itch? Or are you wanting to shoot centerfire?

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I just got a 6" Stainless Steel Ruger GP100 with the unfluted cylinder and wood grips. I bought it specifically for range fun. I really have to make a concious decision to shoot my carry pistol because I enjoy shooting my Ruger so much.
    I also picked up a Glock 41MOS and dropped a RM06 with supressor sights on it and I really get the giggles hitting the 10 ring at 50 yards with boring consistency.

I highly recommend either...or both.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    .22LR w/ silencer

-rvb

I'll second this! It doesn't get a whole lot more fun for plinking. i've got a 22/45 with a volquartzen trigger and a can on it. It's probably the most fun gun I have to plink with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is not the price of the gun that will matter in months or years if you really enjoy shooting it, but the ammo.
    You can always find a good used gun that will not break the bank: I have, I do and I will. :rockwoot:
    I've even bought a couple of new ones on occasion. :laugh:

.22LR = 6 - 10 cents per round and I have a dozen guns from $175 - $600: revolvers and semi-autos,
    Most around $300+/-

9mms = 20 -25 cents per round.

Everything else costs 30+ cents, 40+ cents, 50+ cents and on per round.
    Hittng steel, in my younger life I had a little steel swivel target that I loved hearing the "ping." :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    At the very low end of the scale, a Heritage Rough Rider revolver in .22lr can be picked up for around $160. I have one and it's a whole lot of fun to plink with. If you are looking for something bigger than .22lr and don't mind a semi-auto, a CZ 75B makes a great all around pistol that's just plain old fun to shoot. You should be able to find them for under $500.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Glock 17 or 19, or m&p 2.0 in 9mm choose your flavor. These will leave you witha ton of versatility and reliability. Neither will break the bank.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is excactly what you need right here.

fe9a8c1eeeff3c9babb05a202c4c8fac.jpg

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    I love rimfires, while I own a lot of centerfires it seems as if the .22s just get the most love come range day.
    I would recommend a ruger single six or a heritage rough rider as both can be had relatively cheap and can be shot qll day for very little.

If you wanted to go centerfire, I would suggest an Uberti SAA clone. You get a very high quality gun for what you pay and imo single action revolvers are just so much fun.
    It'll also give you a reason to get a matching caliber lever gun later!

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If looking for a revolver, I would also suggest a S&W Model 10. Can be had for less than $400 and great shooting gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Badwolf, you are getting a lot of differing replies and suggestions. This is partly due to us here on INGO who like to promote what we like and partly due to you not providing some more guidance on your interests.

Do you have a budget? If you give us a range of money you are willing to spend on a firearm, that will help. Also, how much do you think you will shoot it? This plays into ammo costs.

Any chance you will branch out and go shoot some event, competition or take a class of some sort?

If you can fill in few more details, you might start to see a pattern to what we suggest. Or maybe not. We are INGO after all.:)

Now for my :twocents:. I agree with those that say any of the 9mm semi-autos mentioned (Glock, S&W) or a revolver in .22lr and/or .38/.357. Semi-auto .22's are fun also.

If all I was going to do is plink in my backyard and had to pick one gun only, it would probably be a S&W Model 617. Or a Ruger MKII. Or a Model 586/686. Or a 1911. Or a Glock 17. Or a ...:):

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you dont own a revolver, then get one!! They're a blast, they make you a better shooter, and they're very versatile (shooting 38 special out of any 357 magnum revolver)

I can certainly recommend the ruger gp100 (i like 4" barrels on my wheelguns, but the 3" and the 6" are good too) or any S&W 686

Top Bottom