• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would have to ask you, What calibers you plan to reload? How many rounds do you shoot in any given period of time? Progressive presses are really for folks who need to load a lot of ammo. If you are unsure whether or not you want to reload, then get a single stage press and kit. The only drawback to reloading (assuming that you are a patient and meticulous individual) is the (hopefully temporary) difficulty in finding reloading components.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    regardless of the press, look in the case before you put the bullet on top in the seating station and verify the powder level looks right, then pull the handle. relying on auto indexing or powder check stations is like relying on a mechanical safety on your gun.

as for 550 v 650, it really comes down to the amount of ammo you load and # of calibers. Back When I was loading 20-25k/yr on my 550 I really wanted a 650. Now that I'm shooting 5-6k/yr I have no desire to upgrade.

-rvb
    This is great advice. As some of us have learned the hard way.

rvb do you do everything fast? LOL

Please don't go there.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I think a new reloader should start on a single stage. A used one won't lose any value so it's a safer start financially. It's also a great way to learn what you're doing before everything starts happening at once.

But as rvb above me mentions, if you are shooting 25,000 rounds a year, a 650 is a good press. If you're shooting 1-500 rounds a month spread among multiple calibers, neither press is a good fit. You'd spend more time changing calibers than you would making ammo.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I started reloading 6 months ago . I enjoy my 550b. I agree with advice above about starting with one caliber. It took some time to load the first 50, but it was time well spent learning to read the manuals, use the scale, calipers, and the 550 itself. I am really enjoying this "hobby" I believe you will be able to enjoy the process just fine with a 550b. Other options may work just as well but I am pleased with the 550b.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I started with the 550 about 20 years ago. Still have it but about 5 years ago I went with the 650. The 650 is a fine machine especially with a case feeder and a bullet feeder. There is more of a learning curve on the 650 and maybe not as forgiving when you make a mistake. My 550 is now only used for rifle rounds and small batches of revolver ammo. Everything else is done on the 650.

Both the machines are great and either one would surve you well.

tnek13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    I second the comment about STARTING with a single stage press. A Forster Co-ax, or an RCBS Rock Chucker. I have both, plus a couple of Lee presses each has it's place. If however, you must have a progressive go with the 650, I have one of those also. The extra station (5 holes vs. 4) gives you some flexibility not found in the 550 - Seat then crimp as a separate operation.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The extra station (5 holes vs. 4) gives you some flexibility not found in the 550 - Seat then crimp as a separate operation.

Note, I only load 9's & 45's & 40's.

On my 550 I dropped the extra whatever it cost (maybe $75) on a Redding dial adjustment/spring loaded bullet follower seating die at stage 3. If you load a lot of one caliber & experiment with oal and different bullets a bit I think it is well worth it.

On stage 4 I use Lee factory crimp dies which have an independent adjustment for crimp and can be adjusted all the way down for sizing. These are not very pricey (maybe $30 ish if memory serves) and I really like them for getting rid of Glock bulge on range brass (wouldn't give you a nickel for a boatload of those things) and very easy crimp adjustment, so I use them on every caliber.

I think if I had a 650 the powder check station option is what I would go with. I'm really happy with ease of die adjustment & reload quality for what I use the 550 for (what I'd really like is a 550 and a 650).

Top Bottom