• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    I did do a search for this question before posting this. I've never had a rifle with a scope before, so if you can, bear with me. I'm totally new at this and don't want to ask stupid questions - but I really don't know the answer and would welcome advice from seasoned shooters if possible. And, I have to say that INGO members are the best. I'd ask my son about this, but he's doing his AIT at Ft. Sill right now and won't return til the end of next month.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and just got a Simmons A/O rimfire rifle scope 3-9x32mm. It came with rings that won't work with the Picatinny see-through rail that I also bought. The Picatinny rings come in low, med. & high mounts - I don't know which height size would be best. There are also really cheap rings and there are rings that are pretty expensive. Amazon has Picatinny rings but I'm sure Dick's has them too. I just didn't want to walk into a store & have some sales guy talk me into something that's either too cheap to work well or isn't right at all.

Just trying to educate myself as to what would work best for this scope & picatinny rail that I have. I thought the see-thru rail would be nice so that I could also use the iron sights without taking the scope off the rifle. Am trying to get my rifle set up before my son gets home from Ft. Sill so we can go shooting when he gets back.

Thanks so much for any suggestions you can offer. I really appreciate it.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    The med rings should work well for you. Midway has a good chart for ring hight if you ever need to check. Hope this helps.

MidwayUSA: Ring Height

:patriot: Give your son my thanks for his service. My son is also stationed at Fort Sill. They might have run into each other.

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the Simmons scope from Midway, so I even have a catalog so I can check it out. Thanks for the link too!

What a small world it is. Please thank your son for his service to our Country for me too. You're right, they may well have met each other there. When my son gets home the end of next month his regular Nat'l Guard unit is in Bloomington. :patriot:

Thanks again for your help.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    with a 32 mm scope low rings should work fine. why dont the current ones work? with a see threw rail any ring hight should get you cleariance over the barrel?

with the see threw rail you will have a scope that sits pretty high. not the best situation for utmost accuracy

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    42769vette ~ The rings that came with the scope would work if I wasn't going to use the see thru sight rail which requires rings with a picatinny mount. The picatinny rings have a wider mounting base.

If I can use the low height picatinny mount rings, it would definitely be better. It makes a lot of sense, that because of the sight rail I'd be able to use the low rings. If the sight rail raises the scope too high off the rifle, then I can always remove it if I have trouble with accuracy.

Really appreciate your input. Thanks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    42769vette ~ The rings that came with the scope would work if I wasn't going to use the see thru sight rail which requires rings with a picatinny mount. The picatinny rings have a wider mounting base.

If I can use the low height picatinny mount rings, it would definitely be better. It makes a lot of sense, that because of the sight rail I'd be able to use the low rings. If the sight rail raises the scope too high off the rifle, then I can always remove it if I have trouble with accuracy.

Really appreciate your input. Thanks.

defintally use lows. i would also suggest a stock pack or somthing to raise the cheak piece so that your head isn't just floating trying to aquire a sight picture

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Will do. The stock pack is a good idea too. Thanks again for your great suggestions.

Out of the blue, my son called from Ft. Sill this afternoon and I was also able to talk to him about scope rings. It helped a lot.

Thanks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom