• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I took my 18-year-old daughter out to shoot. She is now hooked. I have a SAA Heritage Rough Rider But I want to get a .22 automatic since she digs the Glock so much. Ruger, S&W 22a, Beretta Neo? Any opinions as to one over the other?

Last edited:

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My absolute favorite pistol in my safe is a Browning Buckmark. It goes with me to the range no matter what else I bring because it is so much fun to shoot. Way more accurate then I will ever be and I'm a decent shot.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Cant go wrong with a buckmark or a ruger. A friend has a neos and it seems to be good as well. Id stay away from the s&w 22a I had one and it was a jam o matic but it could have just been a bad one :dunno: The rugers grip angle is prob. the most like the glock as long as its not the 22/45 which is more like a 1911 as is the buckmarks grip angle.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glock? look to the ISSC (google it), Fun, Walther P22. Quality, $$, rugers and brownings. Sad Face, Sig Mosquito.... I went the fun route with the P22, after break in it runs 100% on subsonics even. Google P22 bible. I know the rugers and brownings are better quality, but the walther its awesome. and cheap.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Ruger . Last forever, shoot any ammo, extra mags are everywhere and usually no more than $20 or so. Did I mention reliable? The takedown and reassy. isn't so bad as sometimes said.
    Check out the new 22/45 model with 1911 grip panels. Called RP for replaceable panels is available in 5.5" bull and 4.5" slabside barrels both with adjustable sights.
    Sell for $300 or less and look good.
    G10143

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Walther P22 that I have had for years and love it. Reliable and accurate. If you like Glock then you could also look at the ISSC. I have put several hundred rounds through my friends and am really impressed with it. I love Glock and that is my EDC, if I didn't already have my Walther I would get an ISSC. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I've got the ruger 22/45 RP, definitely a fun little gun, takedown really isn't that bad when you get to it, and the gun really requires a little modifying (for me) to be a little less naggy. Things like the mag disconnect and maybe dropping in a sear. The Mark 3 aftermarket is great if you like to tinker too.

IMG_4023.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest taking that new shooter to all the gun shops, and/or gun shows you can, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    There is much wisdom in the approach Jay outlines. At least I think there is, but I( and others too it would apprear) tend to take an OP verbatim and taylor a response to it.
    Since the OP directly asked for opinions on guns by name and not gun buying advice in general that's what I ( again and others) delivered. Hopefully an OP would not just run out and buy the first or even most recommended gun but would use the recommendations as a short list of guns to consider and look at.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I started her out with the Rough Rider, then the P95, and then the G30. I also let her shoot the 10/22 first, a 995TS, then the Bulgy AK. She's definitely hooked.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm partial to the Buckmark. They are well made, accurate, and easy to maintain. I have shot Rugers, P22's, and Mosquito's. Personally I'm not a fan of them. That's my personal opinion though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you read alot of bad reviews on the sig mesquto (spelling?) but i have one and have no problems with it. plus i like the feeling of a fuller size pistol in my hands

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I took my 18-year-old daughter out to shoot. She is now hooked. I have a SAA Heritage Rough Rider But I want to get a .22 automatic since she digs the Glock so much. Ruger, S&W 22a, Beretta Neo? Any opinions as to one over the other?

Yeah, the Beretta NEOS is sweet! Anyone can buy a Ruger or Browning. Boring...

On a serious note, two things in its favor, okay three, no four:

1. The grip. Check it out. Way different than the other three. I disliked the S&W grip. The Neos is smaller and shaped different than the others. A smaller hand might prefer it.

2. Takedown is SUPER simple. One thumbscrew, two springs, the firing pin and the slide and boom you're done.

3. Carbine kit. Check it out...

4. Price. New, they are only $250 at Gander Mountain and cheaper elsewhere. I got mine used but NIB for $200ish.

Top Bottom