• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • njagiell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Merrillville
    My mom is getting my younger brother a rifle for Christmas. I was thinking something like a Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto) or Ruger 96/22 (lever-action) would be a good, reliable buy. Anybody have any other advice for a good .22LR Rifle? I don't know a lot about the variety offered for rifles like that. Thanks!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you're gonna consider a lever action .22, take a look at the Marlin 39A. It's one of the oldest current production rifles there ever was. They're not as cheap as the 10-22, but they'll be handed down for generations.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    What kind of budget does she have? Does she want to spend $100, $250 or $500? How old is your brother? What will he use the rifle for? If you answer those questions, someone may be able to explain the differences to you. For example, I own several .22's. I love my Marlin 39a which shoots wonderfully. It is a lever action and probably safer for a young child than a semi-auto. However, it is a tube fed. If he is getting it to shoot Appleseeds, tube feds are a pain. It costs around $500 new. I have a Marlin 795 which is a $100 semi-auto. It is great right out of the box except the trigger pull is typically 12-20 lbs. I have a Ruger 10/22 which shoots great, but out of the box was horrible. It had a heavy trigger and was not very accurate. It did go off every time you pulled the trigger though and was around $230 at walmart for the stainless version. After spending another $600 on it, it is an absolute tack driver. There are many more choices, but that is an example of the differences

njagiell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Merrillville
    He is 14 and actually a really good shot, and has a lot of common sense when it comes to gun safety and maintenance. I would say the budget is around $250. Of course, he can always upgrade whatever he gets over time. And he'll mostly use the gun for range shooting, or maybe plinking cans at my dad's house (60 acre farm with a creek bank for a back drop is wonderful). I like my dad's lever action version of the 10-22; I think it was the 96-22.. It is a lot more accurate. I appreciate your input, it'll help me be more specific with my next threads and posts.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Most .22 bolt, auto, lever, rifles will, with supervision will be a good choice.

Check Wholesale Hunter - Your #1 source for hunting, camping, shooting and public service goods.
    They carry several brands and spread the gambit from inexpensive to expensive.

While a 10/22 is can be accessorized out of this world, Marlins, usually are good to go from the box. The downside of any auto is that you can burn through the ammo at an alarming rate. Younger shooter as well as some O/F's like me are prone to running off strings of shots ignoring proper trigger control and sight picture...Great fun if done safely..but hard on the wallet.

Lever guns are on the upper in budget wise, with few accessories. There is just something about them that, to me, has an appeal all their own.

Bolt guns spread across the budget from low end single shots to high end competition rifles. One big plus, they teach a young shooters, one shot, one squirrel.

IMHO any personal arsenal without a solid .22 RF rifle and handgun has a whopping hole in it....:@ya:....Duce<><

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    At 14, he would probably enjoy shooting at the appleseed events. Since he is a minor, it is free. The best guns for the appleseed are semi-auto magazine fed .22's. A Ruger 10/22 is easy to find and more than 50% of the shooters in the appleseeds I have been to were using 10/22's. You can get one well under $250. See:

Appleseed Project Home

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Great advice from IndianaGTI and Duce! I'd like to add the Savage bolt actions to their suggestions. I shot Rifleman at my very first Appleseed using mine. It has been a fantastic rifle since day one. It shoots all ammo very well, but has a slight preference for Federal Lightning (cheapest stuff at Wally World). My 10/22 was mediocre from the box with a heavy & gritty trigger. After a little dremel work it has become much better. It shoots most ammo well enough, but after many different boxes I have yet to find a round that it loves.

I bought the 10/22 first because everyone said it was a must have gun. Then I bought the Savage because I actually enjoy hitting my target and not wasting ammo. If I had it to do over, I would have bought the Savage first followed by a Marlin 795.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Yeah, I don't know why people discount the Marlin 795 so much. It is an excellent shooter out of the box and has been $94-99 after $25 rebate for most of this Christmas season. It does have a heavy trigger, but it will outshoot most more expensive semi-autos out there right out of the box.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    He is 14 and actually a really good shot, and has a lot of common sense when it comes to gun safety and maintenance. I would say the budget is around $250. Of course, he can always upgrade whatever he gets over time. And he'll mostly use the gun for range shooting, or maybe plinking cans at my dad's house (60 acre farm with a creek bank for a back drop is wonderful). I like my dad's lever action version of the 10-22; I think it was the 96-22.. It is a lot more accurate. I appreciate your input, it'll help me be more specific with my next threads and posts.

The 10/22 would be my choice...so many options for upgrades exist that it will keep up with him well into adulthood.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My mom is getting my younger brother a rifle for Christmas. I was thinking something like a Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto) or Ruger 96/22 (lever-action) would be a good, reliable buy. Anybody have any other advice for a good .22LR Rifle? I don't know a lot about the variety offered for rifles like that. Thanks!

The 10/22 is a good rifle and their are a lot of options for upgrades if he would choose to do so. In my opinion though it does not have the best trigger, nor is it the most accurate out of the box. I would also give consideration to the Remington 597 or the Marlin model 60. In my opinion they have better trigger and are more accurate out of the box. With the Remington 597 there where some early issues with the magazines. The one I owned previously functioned flawlessly, no matter what kind of ammo I used. My Dad owns a Marlin model 60 and it has functioned flawlessly. I know alot of people have also been pleased with the Marlin 795. As for lever actions I really like Marlin or Henry.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My "crappy" Mossberg 702 and 802 have been 100% for me. I run 'em hard and dirty. I run the 802 suppressed, haven't got around to getting the 702 threaded yet but its in the works. I have a 597 for sale in the classifieds, nearly new with upgrades.:dunno: The 597 is excellent, out of the box it will beat a stock 10/22 BTDT. I couldn't get mine to cycle subsonic ammo.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    remington 552

I got a remington 552 semi auto for christmas when I was that age It is a very accurate rifle if kept clean and a nice used 1 could be bought for that price range

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    If you can still hunt down a CZ452 I would say at least check it out. 10/22 is always going to be fun because if he gets tired of it, he can just change it up!

Top Bottom