• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pretty hard to beat a Ruger 10/22: inexpensive, fun and customizable...Not as accurate as some others out of the box, however, more than adequate for everyday plinking. Note: Dick's Sporting Goods had them for $199 last week.

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I would definitely go with a 10/22 like other have said, I purchased one a few days ago and I am in love wit it. Many cool gadgets for it as well!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    My first rifle was a Marlin 60 and I regret selling it some 20 odd years ago. My sons first rifle was also a Marlin 60, I tracked an OLD one down at a pawn shop. They still make them, but they're harder to find and like the 10/22, you want an older one. There is too much plastic on the newer ones. That being said, I have 2 10/22s in the safe and recommend them over the Marlin just because of the options available. You can change them up as much as you like and even make some VERY accurate shooters, I've seen guys dump thousands into them. Modifying them becomes a hobby of it's own.

bubajoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Agreed, Rugar 10/22, can't beat the price and cost to shoot and with some tuning they can be super accurate.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can most likely scratch the 96/22 off the list. They are out of production for a while.

The lever action 22 are over the price point except the Henrey basic model with the plastic barrel band and front sight.

I would look into the used market but time before christmas is short.

At 14 i had a single shot steven model 15 with iron sights, Put more ammo thru it than about any rifle i own. If i had a 10-22 i would have put more ammo thru it as i would have not had to cock it each time,

At 16 i bought a 10-22 and it rocked my world with the crappy 4 power scope.

If he can shoot all kinds of ammo then the auto. If like my dad said "here is 5 shells bring home 4 tree rats' then maybe a single shot is better.

I think one person said the CZ lineup. These I have seen shoot as well as a quality winchester target rifle at the matches, better than tricked out 10-22's.

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Economical Good Shooting?

Get a Savage bolt with an Accu-Trigger. The bolt action is a great teaching rifle and it will save you money several ways. 1) Bolts are much cheaper to shoot because it takes more time to squeeze off a magazine. 2) Great trigger out of the box, no need to upgrade. 3) The Savage is much cheaper to shoot than a 10/22 because there is little to change or upgrade, unlike everything you point at on 10/22 can be upgraded for some extra $$.
    That said, I have both and enjoy them for different reasons.

PurdueJim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Bolt action is safest first gun.

I recommend a savage bolt action. Teach the boy to remove the bolt before entering the house. Just words of wisdom from a dad.

Top Bottom