• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I posted this once before, but it disappeared from the forum for some reason. If there is a double post, or if I violated a forum rule, clue me in.

I took a TCP to Freedom Firearms indoor range on Monday. I just received it back from Taurus for warranty service. Taurus diagnosed two problems. First, Taurus stated the “Extractor calibration under [was] specs.” Second, the “barrel ramp has incorrect angle.” Both of these would cause a “misfeed.” Taurus “adjusted” the two items and sent the TCP back. I put 80 rounds of Remington UMC 95gr. MC L380P ammo through it. Here are the details. Sorry about the poor colonization. The table would not transfer from my word processor software.

Mag # Round Count Result
    1 6 Round #4 failed to feed properly. Fed properly when I racked the slide.
    2 12 Perfect
    3 18 Perfect
    4 24 Perfect
    5 30 Perfect
    6 36 Perfect
    7 42 Perfect
    8 48 Perfect
    9 54 Rounds #3 & 4 failed to feed; fed and fired properly when I racked the slide.
    10 60 Round #3 failed to feed, but fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.
    11 66 Rounds #3 & 4 failed to feed; fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.
    12 72 Perfect
    13 76 Rounds #3 & 4 failed to feed; fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.
    14 80 Round #3 failed to feed, but fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.

FYI, these are six-round mags.

So, what do I do next? Send it back to Taurus? Put another 100 rounds through it for "break in"? The purpose of the weapon is to serve as a BUG while carrying a 1911 or XD .40, or as a primary while running to maintain fitness.

I would really appreciate the advice of the gunsmith experts on :ingo: about the next step. Thanks in advance.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im by no means a smith. But I have a TCP myself with probably close to 300 Flawless rounds through it. The only thing i could think of it with these subcompact pocket pistols, you have to make sure that you "limp wrist" the pistol when you shoot it. Other than that i would get back in touch with taurus. Hope ya get it figured out, let us know what you find out.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I posted this once before, but it disappeared from the forum for some reason. If there is a double post, or if I violated a forum rule, clue me in.

I took a TCP to Freedom Firearms indoor range on Monday. I just received it back from Taurus for warranty service. Taurus diagnosed two problems. First, Taurus stated the “Extractor calibration under [was] specs.” Second, the “barrel ramp has incorrect angle.” Both of these would cause a “misfeed.” Taurus “adjusted” the two items and sent the TCP back. I put 80 rounds of Remington UMC 95gr. MC L380P ammo through it. Here are the details. Sorry about the poor colonization. The table would not transfer from my word processor software.

Mag # Round Count Result
    1 6 Round #4 failed to feed properly. Fed properly when I racked the slide.
    2 12 Perfect
    3 18 Perfect
    4 24 Perfect
    5 30 Perfect
    6 36 Perfect
    7 42 Perfect
    8 48 Perfect
    9 54 Rounds #3 & 4 failed to feed; fed and fired properly when I racked the slide.
    10 60 Round #3 failed to feed, but fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.
    11 66 Rounds #3 & 4 failed to feed; fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.
    12 72 Perfect
    13 76 Rounds #3 & 4 failed to feed; fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.
    14 80 Round #3 failed to feed, but fed and fired properly when I worked the slide.

FYI, these are six-round mags.

So, what do I do next? Send it back to Taurus? Put another 100 rounds through it for "break in"? The purpose of the weapon is to serve as a BUG while carrying a 1911 or XD .40, or as a primary while running to maintain fitness.

I would really appreciate the advice of the gunsmith experts on :ingo: about the next step. Thanks in advance.
    Been there, done that, fixed that....

The problem isn't how you hold the gun or what ammo you're using- it's the gun that's the problem and it CAN be fixed once and for all with 100% success. Don't even bother sending it back/forth to Taurus for warranty service, because the only thing you'll realistically get in return is a gun that will have the same crappy parts thrown at it at the factory in their vain attempts to "fix" it, it'll still never will be right and you'll have a lot of down time waiting on the gun to be returned to you over-and-over-and-over again...

What good is their "warrranty service" if they NEVER fix the problem? Like Tommy Boy said, "I can take a dump in a box and put a warranty on it if it will make you feel better, but it's still a POS".

The Taurus TCP .380 is an excellent little mouse gun and I carry one everyday, but take my advice from experience, take the matters into your own hands and fix it yourself or you can send it my way and I'll do it for you- no charge, just to see another gun-guy get a working gun fixed right the first time.

Follow this link on the detailed How-To: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urus_tcp_738_380_random_jamming_fix_pics.html

If you'd like to meet me at the H&H (Freedom) range sometime, I'll let you shoot my TCP .380 and you can see for yourself how well these things can shoot with a little TLC attention. :)

Good luck and let me know if I can help. :yesway:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Been there, done that, fixed that....

The problem isn't how you hold the gun or what ammo you're using- it's the gun that's the problem and it CAN be fixed once and for all with 100% success. Don't even bother sending it back/forth to Taurus for warranty service, because the only thing you'll realistically get in return is a gun that will have the same crappy parts thrown at it at the factory in their vain attempts to "fix" it, it'll still never will be right and you'll have a lot of down time waiting on the gun to be returned to you over-and-over-and-over again...

What good is their "warrranty service" if they NEVER fix the problem? Like Tommy Boy said, "I can take a dump in a box and put a warranty on it if it will make you feel better, but it's still a POS".

The Taurus TCP .380 is an excellent little mouse gun and I carry one everyday, but take my advice from experience, take the matters into your own hands and fix it yourself or you can send it my way and I'll do it for you- no charge, just to see another gun-guy get a working gun fixed right the first time.

Follow this link on the detailed How-To: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urus_tcp_738_380_random_jamming_fix_pics.html

If you'd like to meet me at the H&H (Freedom) range sometime, I'll let you shoot my TCP .380 and you can see for yourself how well these things can shoot with a little TLC attention. :)

Good luck and let me know if I can help. :yesway:

THANKS!! I will work through the repair manual you posted. If I can't get it done, I will be in touch.

BTW, I do like the TCP. I just need it to work!!

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Thanks for the info. I copied everything off, so I have a complete tutorial when I tear into my wife's and my 738's. :yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom