• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlowrance

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Portland
    I'm hoping to find a deal on an AR style .22 this weekend from one of the shows. There are three I've seen that I like: the Sig 522, S&W M&P 15-22, and Colt M4. After doing some online research it seems the S&W M&P 15-22 and Colt have a lot of issues. Does anyone have any experience or advice with any of these models or anything similar?

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First off :welcome: I personally don't have any of those three, but I hear nice things about the Sig 522 and S&W M&P 15-22. As far as I know it is the closest to an actual AR without doing a .22 conversion. Me myself, I made mine from a 10/22 similar to Ruger's SR-22. Can't go wrong with a 10/22 receiver. It has the feel of an AR without the controls though. Anyway good luck man and i hope this helps a little. Here is an detailed comparison of the specs of each one on the market.

AR-22s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Fairfield,OH.
    After doing some online research it seems the S&W M&P 15-22 and Colt have a lot of issues.

No matter what you go after, every gun will have its' issues...I own a 15-22 and absolutely love the thing. I have ever only had one problem and that was magazine related. The spring was not strong enough and it would nosedive the ammo after about 15 rounds...But I mainly shoot from the 10rnd mags and never have problems..I think I have to buy another one, as my son never lets me shoot it :laugh:

Here is mine - https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/1792303-post255.html

BTW :welcome: to the Forums

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I have the s&w M&P 15-22, nothing but good things to say about it, there were a bunch of issues but they have all been worked out and is now a great gun. I have shot about 1000 rounds through mine and not one misfire failure to fire or feed or anything, very accurate and fun to shoot (and of course cheap :-) ). Not sure where u live but if it is nw indiana blythes has insane deals on the m&p 22 right now, $349 and its the one with the flash suppressor. I bought mine from Cabelas for 489 with no flash.

jlowrance

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Portland
    Thanks for the spec charts Saiga223, I've heard great things about 10/22 but being new to all this makes customizing one very overwhelming at this point.

Spike's would be nice, but unfortunately my wife was very clear on my spending limits.

I guess my biggest worry with the S&W was the firing out of battery issues. After I looked again, the complaints I read were posted not long after release.

TwistedCreations is there any reason you use the 10 rd mags over the 25

Thanks for everyone's responses

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have the 15-22 and absolutely love it. It occasionally has issues, but on average it seems fewer problems than most .22lr semi-auto rifles I've owned and over the last thousand rounds almost all issues have been ammo related once I learned how to load the magazines properly.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Thanks for the spec charts Saiga223, I've heard great things about 10/22 but being new to all this makes customizing one very overwhelming at this point.

Spike's would be nice, but unfortunately my wife was very clear on my spending limits.

I guess my biggest worry with the S&W was the firing out of battery issues. After I looked again, the complaints I read were posted not long after release.

TwistedCreations is there any reason you use the 10 rd mags over the 25

Thanks for everyone's responses

Well with that in mind your budget would help. Do you currently own an ar? You could also get a conversion or dedicated upper. A spikes conversion kit runs 150-200 on the secondary market and the dedicated uppers 300-400. You can new ones for 400 from a vendor on gunbroker. Thats where i got mine. A 10/22 isnt a bad idea either. From my experience it tends to be less ammo picky than any of the other options. But if you run federal bulk or better you shouldnt have any issues. :twocents:

392610007_photobucket_50418_.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would get a M&P15-22. Ive got one and love it! Takes all the normal accessories that a standard AR will as well.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Smith And Wesson

I have the Smith and Wesson and have owned the Colt. I got rid of the Colt because if you do have problems with it then it is a lot harder to repair yourself. It has a non removable bolt and trigger group.
    The Snith has a removable bolt carrier and if you want to work on your trigger then standard Ar parts work. I have never had an issue with it or the pistol version.

jlowrance

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Portland
    Well with that in mind your budget would help. Do you currently own an ar? You could also get a conversion or dedicated upper. A spikes conversion kit runs 150-200 on the secondary market and the dedicated uppers 300-400. You can new ones for 400 from a vendor on gunbroker. Thats where i got mine. A 10/22 isnt a bad idea either. From my experience it tends to be less ammo picky than any of the other options. But if you run federal bulk or better you shouldnt have any issues. :twocents:

392610007_photobucket_50418_.jpg

Well, I would like to stay around $400 to $500 range. I dont currently own an ar. The reason I'm going the .22 route, I just want something I can go out back and shoot without worrying about how much money I'm spending on ammo.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I wouldn't go dedicated unless you have an AR already.

I would buy a plain jane AR and pick up a CMMG conversion kits. I don't have an issue with with the others, but why buy one gun when you can get 2 for about the same price.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have shot a 15-22 and liked it. I owned a 10/22 and it was to ammo picky, so I sold it. I also owned a Kel-Tec SU22, and could not get it to run right. My 597 runs flawless, but the high cap mags are junk. I'll just get an .22 upper for my M4.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I owned the Colt/Umarex M16/22. After calling the factory and adjusting it properly it shot extremely well and was very accurate. It has a match grade barrel, so it is picky on ammo. You must use high quality ammo.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    I also have a S&W MP15-22 and absolutely love it. I have shot a couple thousand rounds through it and have never had any problems with the Federal 22 ammo. I did have alot of problems with the Remmington ammo before switching to Federal. I am very happy with the rifle.

Top Bottom