• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Hello,
    lifelong deer hunter, .308, 30-06. Two years ago purchased a 9mm Shield. Maybe 300 rounds through it. Still need some work to become a decent shooter.

I am thinking about taking a class to become more proficient with the self-defense aspect of handgun carry, and become a better shot.

Do you think I need to start with the NRA basic pistol course? With my experience with firearms, I think that might be overkill. Or should I start with something a little more advanced?

Thanks for any advice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hello,
    lifelong deer hunter, .308, 30-06. Two years ago purchased a 9mm Shield. Maybe 300 rounds through it. Still need some work to become a decent shooter.

I am thinking about taking a class to become more proficient with the self-defense aspect of handgun carry, and become a better shot.

Do you think I need to start with the NRA basic pistol course? With my experience with firearms, I think that might be overkill. Or should I start with something a little more advanced?

Thanks for any advice.

Where do you live? I have been to several classes and can recommend some depending on how far you will travel. One I am thinking of places more emphasis on the shooting part of defensive use of a firearm, but would be more suited to gaming(IDPA, USPSA, etc.) Another class I took focus's more on self defense carry, malfunctions, etc.

Then there is yet another class on Comprehensive Firearm Laws in the state of Indiana. This is a classroom only course and I would highly recommend it if you are going to have a gun for personal protection. The internet is full of misconceptions, opinions and errors about the use of deadly force. It was an eye opener for me, that's for sure.

You can PM me for details or we can use this thread so others can be a part of it.:)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Personally, I'd skip the NRA offering as it may be a bit rudimentary for you. I'd suggest PMing one of the ACT guys (ObiJohn or Rhino) or Coach for a chat and go from there

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    There are several quality training companies around the state. Where are you located? I would be happy to discuss your current skill level and where to go next if you would like to PM me.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Where do you live?
    How far are you willing to travel?
    What's your budget?
    Do you have a holster?
    How many mags do you have?
    Do you want a one-day class or a five-day class?
    What do you think you want in a class? Any preferences about who you learn from or how?
    What do you think you want to learn?

When we know more we will know where to send you.

If you've already selected a firearm and understand the basics of how to operate it, NRA Basic Pistol may not have as much to offer.

Last edited:

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks to all for the help. Figured I would answer these ?'s:

Where do you live?
    Butler-Tarkington area in Indy.

Let's say 1/2 hour

What's your budget?
    Seems like $200 would be a good ceiling, although I would like to keep it much lower.

Do you have a holster?
    Yes

Two. 7/8 that came with the Shield.

One, maybe two. Depending on length.

What do you think you want in a class? Any preferences about who you learn from or how?
    Maybe individual instruction. I like hands-on, but not opposed to some classroom training.

Better standard shooting techniques, self-defense training while CC'ing.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Where do you live? I have been to several classes and can recommend some depending on how far you will travel. One I am thinking of places more emphasis on the shooting part of defensive use of a firearm, but would be more suited to gaming(IDPA, USPSA, etc.) Another class I took focus's more on self defense carry, malfunctions, etc.

Then there is yet another class on Comprehensive Firearm Laws in the state of Indiana. This is a classroom only course and I would highly recommend it if you are going to have a gun for personal protection. The internet is full of misconceptions, opinions and errors about the use of deadly force. It was an eye opener for me, that's for sure.

You can PM me for details or we can use this thread so others can be a part of it.:)
    Thanks. Probably not a classroom only course. Although sounds pretty informative.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks to all for the help. Figured I would answer these ?'s:

Where do you live?
    Butler-Tarkington area in Indy.

Let's say 1/2 hour

What's your budget?
    Seems like $200 would be a good ceiling, although I would like to keep it much lower.

Do you have a holster?
    Yes

Two. 7/8 that came with the Shield.

One, maybe two. Depending on length.

Maybe individual instruction. I like hands-on, but not opposed to some classroom training.

Better standard shooting techniques, self-defense training while CC'ing.

Look up Coach. His name is Aron Bright of Bright Firearms Training. He teaches a 1 day course at Marion County Fish and Game. Take his intermediate course if you have some shooting under your belt and are familiar with your Shield. You should probably get 3-4 more mags though. Quantico Tactical has pretty decent prices on them.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Look up Coach. His name is Aron Bright of Bright Firearms Training. He teaches a 1 day course at Marion County Fish and Game. Take his intermediate course if you have some shooting under your belt and are familiar with your Shield. You should probably get 3-4 more mags though. Quantico Tactical has pretty decent prices on them.

If you havent had any instruction on the fundamentals of marksmanship or working from the hoster, I'd say start in his basic class. The basic and intermediate are 4 hour blocks, and can often be taken on the same day. Alternatively, he offers private training in a one-on-one format. A couple hours of that would be worth a day in the classroom.

Also, if you decide you want to check out the NRA coursed, Indy Gun Safety is on the NE side of Indy and has a good reputation. After you do Basic Pistol you will probably want to check out the Personal Protection NRA courses (if you continuue down the NRA line).

I dont know how often IGS offers the personal protection courses. They are may also have their own "defensive pistol" course as well (as in, non nra curriculum).

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Lots of years using a rifle does not make you good with a handgun. At least it didn't for me. I was pretty good with a rifle but awful with a handgun. The better I became with a handgun the more I realized how bad I really was with one.

Coach's Basic and Intermediate classes are very good.

I would take a basic hands-on class, practice for awhile and then take an Intermediate or Self-Defense class. Head knowledge comes easily to me, give me the book, let me read/scan it and I have it down. Physical skills require practice for me. I have to repeat it (a lot) until my body does what my mind knows I should be doing. If you are a natural athlete then you might pick up on the physical skills faster than me. I played a lot of sports but every one took time for my body to absorb the knowledge. Think about how you learn physical skills and factor that into your plans.

Top Bottom