• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    So I have pretty much made up my mind on the Harley Iron 883, I got to check most of the Harley line out ( not really interested in any other brands) and the Iron 883 is just the style I am looking for. It is defiantly the most comfortable to me, Im about 5'10 and 240-250lbs. Just a big guy not really in the gut area but not small either. My question starts here, I talked to a great salesman ( actually friend of the family) about the Iron and understands what I am looking to do, which is mostly ride around towns and country roads with the occasional trip on the interstate. The general consensus is that it will have plenty of power to do all of these activities in its stock form minus the ability to get up to speed fast enough on the interstate if need to be to pass someone quickly. The bike is said to have great acceleration just not at 70+ miles per hour.

So i was interested in getting a 1200cc conversion done when I bought the bike. The salesman thinks that if I feel that the power wouldn't be good enough that a simple stage 1 upgrade would solve my issues and the 1200cc conversion would be a little overkill. Knowing the salesman and trusting his advice I took it for what it was and figured he was probably right. I know most will say that if I want 1200cc I should get the 1200 Custom, but I don't really care for it and the iron 883 with the 1200cc conversion would still be cheaper to buy given the add ons I want vs the 1200 Custom with the add ons I would want.

I was hoping to hear some more opinions on the topic of if the conversion is a good idea, if the bike has enough power as is, or if the stage 1 upgrade would be enough. Of course there is always the stage 1 upgrade with the 1200cc conversion lol. I know the Iron 883 has a good acceleration rate off of the line I would just be concerned with topping out if need to be on the interstate, granted I wouldn't be on it much but would like the extra power if I had to use it.

So what say you?

As always thanks for your comments. My friends think I am nuts for liking the sporsters and that it is actually comfortable to me, they all ride bigger bikes and are trying to convince me to go bigger, I just don't care for the bigger bikes to be honest.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I like 'em! The Dark Customs series are very affordable and they are made so you can customize it in your own style. For what you want it for it should serve your purpose. And in a few years if you want to trade up, it should hold its value. I believe they are about $9000. Shop around for upgrades, you don't have to take it to a Harley Dealership. Your warranty is good at any shop that has a Harley certified mechanic. So shop around for the conversion kit if thats what you want. I personally don't think you'll need it! Keep us informed on what you decide!!

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    I love my 1970 sportster, however my mom had an 09 883 low that shook like an earthquake. It definately turned me off of the 883. I can't imagine how much more it would shake with the 1200 conversion. My mom is about 5'4" and now rides a crossbones with the suspension dropped and a seat that hugs the frame. Looks sick and is comfortable and smooth. I think a softer platform dropped and slightlu modified is were it's at, just my 2 cents. Either way good luck and enjoy

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I agree with the salesman. Stage 1 should handle everything you want to do...unless you ride with a passenger a lot. I had a '96 Sporty 1200 and I could get up and go just fine by myself, but with a passenger on the back I was slower and couldn't keep up with the bigger bikes.

I also agree with SD, the Dark Customs look slick, and I like the look of the Iron 883, but then again I also like the look of the 48, 72 and the rest of the Dark Custom line.

Good luck deciding, and pics when you get the bike!!!

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Ride it, get thru the break in, get thru the summer, and then over the winter jug it to 1200, add your choice of pipes, air filter, and programmer. Nobody ever compalins about a bike having "Too much power"

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Get the 883, break it in. If you need more power, pipes / intake / tune (stage 1). Ride it some more. If you still need power, get into the motor a bit (head & cams, or full on motor build) or something of the sort, and ride it some more. Eventually you will find a happy place with the power, or you will need to drop in a 1200 and repeat the above. If I was to get into a motor build, I would find a MOTOR shop that is not a dealer, as they may have more experience in actually building motors and not just bolting on Harley parts.

I can tell you from MY experience, there is never ever enough power, and I ride sportbikes. But I like speed WAY too much....

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Ride it, get thru the break in, get thru the summer, and then over the winter jug it to 1200, add your choice of pipes, air filter, and programmer. Nobody ever compalins about a bike having "Too much power"

If I was going to convert it to 1200cc I would do it right when I bought it so as to roll it into the financing. This is the dilemma that I am dealing with.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I know you're pretty set on the H-D but have you checked out the Star Bolt/Bolt R-Spec? I really enjoyed it when I took a test ride last month.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I have pretty much made up my mind on the Harley Iron 883, I got to check most of the Harley line out ( not really interested in any other brands) and the Iron 883 is just the style I am looking for. It is defiantly the most comfortable to me, Im about 5'10 and 240-250lbs. Just a big guy not really in the gut area but not small either. My question starts here, I talked to a great salesman ( actually friend of the family) about the Iron and understands what I am looking to do, which is mostly ride around towns and country roads with the occasional trip on the interstate. The general consensus is that it will have plenty of power to do all of these activities in its stock form minus the ability to get up to speed fast enough on the interstate if need to be to pass someone quickly. The bike is said to have great acceleration just not at 70+ miles per hour.

So i was interested in getting a 1200cc conversion done when I bought the bike. The salesman thinks that if I feel that the power wouldn't be good enough that a simple stage 1 upgrade would solve my issues and the 1200cc conversion would be a little overkill. Knowing the salesman and trusting his advice I took it for what it was and figured he was probably right. I know most will say that if I want 1200cc I should get the 1200 Custom, but I don't really care for it and the iron 883 with the 1200cc conversion would still be cheaper to buy given the add ons I want vs the 1200 Custom with the add ons I would want.

I was hoping to hear some more opinions on the topic of if the conversion is a good idea, if the bike has enough power as is, or if the stage 1 upgrade would be enough. Of course there is always the stage 1 upgrade with the 1200cc conversion lol. I know the Iron 883 has a good acceleration rate off of the line I would just be concerned with topping out if need to be on the interstate, granted I wouldn't be on it much but would like the extra power if I had to use it.

The 883 will not fare all that well on the big road. The 1200 will run off and hide from it. If you ride with those folks that run bigger bikes you may come to dislike the 883. I have rode them and find them buzzy and uncomfortable. The 1200 will carry you down the road more comfortably.
    Yes, you can convert but why unless your budget is driving your choice. Every person I know that opted for the 883 either upgraded to the big bore or traded them off.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

So what say you?

As always thanks for your comments. My friends think I am nuts for liking the sporsters and that it is actually comfortable to me, they all ride bigger bikes and are trying to convince me to go bigger, I just don't care for the bigger bikes to be honest.
    Ain't Sporty fan, but.........
    ANY of'em......is choked ta death rite off'a floor.......do te break-in mileage, then open up the air,so it can breath.....an' better pipes......programmer, ta git more fuel to it.......it's starve'n in it stock form/setup(EPA bullshizz.....) fars the roll-on power.......cams can change all'at shizz......some headwork even more....ANYways.....IF was ME......I'd go sumthin' in'a Dyna line(ain' fan them neither, 'cept the WG.......) an' it'a have the 103 in it......you only gonna be lil' better'n 50 cubes with the 883....an' only 'round 73 + or - with 1200 kit....:twocents:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not a harley fan but I will offer one piece of advice. Fast, cheap, reliable; chose two! This works with anything with a motor. If you don't want to have to work on the bike either plan on spending lots of money to upgrade it or don't modify it (I would say don't buy a Harley but that's just me.)

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Any reason as to why?

I was going to stage 1 my Street Glide a couple years ago. I went to the dealership to set it all up and was talked out of it by the mechanics. They showed me several pistons that had been chewed up or broken from motors with just the stage 1 kit. I don't remember what caused it, just that I was steered away from it.
    The iron 883 is indeed a nice bike, however you may look at others before you pull the trigger on it. My first bike was a 1200 custom. After less than a week i hated it. It was too small for me. At the time I was 5.11 and 230 or so. I ended up buying a dyna super glide and loved it. It's not a ton bigger, but definitely noticible on longer rides. Nothing beats the feel of a bagger. If the 883 is what you're set on, get it and have fun!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stage 1 is the entry level on the fuely bikes. I know folks who have stepped up to it from show room and it is a noticeable improvement but in the steady search for more they ran the snot out of the engines and some lived, some succumbed to the right hand trying to twist the throttle past the stop. If you get a fuely bike jump directly into the Highest available tune up.
    883's are (I know I am gonna catch it for this) Girls bikes. They are OK in town but that is it. I rode all forms of bikes my whole life. We built up a few sportsers along the way and although they were OK the owners all opted out for larger bikes. Having rode those bikes I knew they were not for me. Stock they were just anemic. Beefed up they were OK but rode like farm implements.

Look around for a used Dyna Wide Glide. If you do like the sportsers you will love the Dynas. JMHO of course as I do not know you or your riding habits. Just sharing form personal experiences.

Top Bottom