• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was looking into picking up a spotting scope today. The max range I shoot is 100yds and that's a rarity, usually 50yds. I was looking at the Burris Landmark Compact 20x50. BUT I am clueless when it comes to range optics and would like a little input from the INGO members. I google'd for reviews but couldn't find much, and I'm not sure how much power i'll be needing to see 5.45x39 holes at 50 yds. I really don't want to spend more than $50 to save myself the walking. Thanks for all the input!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im not sure about any scope @ 50 bucks that will work for you. i looked threw a barska once and it was blurry @ 50 yds. however you dont have to spend a fortune, there are alot of 2000+ dollar spotters out there but after looking threw them and looking threw my konus id buy the konus again. sure the swarovskis and other brands are a little better but the konus is south of 200 bucks and the other scopes are not 10x as good.

long story short save a little longer and grab a konus you will not be sorry.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What type of magnification should I be looking at?

seeing holes a long ways away take a combination of power and clarity. for 100yds and in 20 would be fine, but the konus is a 20-60. you can run it on 20 and do what you need and still leave room to grow. you never know when you will get the opportunity to strech things out and extra zoom wont hurt. you will have your clearest picture on 20x

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Konus

I purchased a Konus scope several years ago for high power rifle and it worked great, but I never shot beyond 200 yards (our range limit). I had no problem seeing .30 or .223.

If you decide otherwise, look for a spotting scope an angled eye piece...you can set the scope up to view the target with little head moment.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I picked up a Burris compact 20x50 and a small tri-pod for $100. I could not be happier. It fits right in my range bag, and optics are very clear.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    for what its worth, If I was looking again, ( I did the same thing years ago) the burris Landmark would be THE top of the list for the less expensive
    I like the variable with at least 40x as top
    A 45deg eyepiece is essential from staying in position when shooting. and also much more comfortable the scope can be below you beside you and you can still just move your head and see
    for my long range stuff I've been using a Kowa scope for years

KOWA Scopes

Good luck

Top Bottom