• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Road Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2022
    Gowdy
    Looking for advise for purchasing a used shotgun for routine Skeet/Trap shooting.. Auto, Pump, barrel length, 12, 20 or 410 gauge, Brands to buy yes, Brands to buy No. Please don't bury me in technical specs, just want a fun reasonably priced shotgun for hobby shooting. Don't have near 50 posts for the Classified section, so I'll search at Gun Shows or through my local friends. Thank you in advance....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Trap is a heavier choked gun, at least modified, improved modified and usually full choke 12 gauge, 30 and 32 inch barrels are the norm with trap single barrels being 34 inches. Skeet has 12, 20, 28, and .410 events. 26 and 28 inch guns were popular, but many are liking 30 and 32 inch guns these days. Skeet chokes are very open, like slightly less than improved cylinder. if you want to shoot both games, replaceable chokes are a must.

I really recommend knowing if a gun really fits you before you buy. A well fit gun makes a difference in your performance. That pretty well means you need to buy from a authorized dealer with someone there who is trained to help you find a suitable gun. Indiana Gun Club was a good place, but I have not been their in years. Jaqua's in Findlay, Ohio are great folks.

If you want to shoot for free, Get a clean used Browning or Beretta O/U Trap gun. (about $1500 to $2500) Shoot it, Keep it nice. In a few years you will be able to trade it for what you paid, if not a little more. If you want to make money, Buy a $7500 or more clean used Ceasar Guerini, Perazzi or Krieghoff O/U and sell it at a profit in 10 years. I have always made money on premium guns.

The Turk and Russian made O/U that are below $1000 dollars new, cost more in the long run because they are worth very little used in good condition, and worth nothing once they are worn. Remington, Mossberg, Stevens and other "names" sold that stuff over the years. They do work for a while. If a $600 to $900 purchase to get started in Trap is easier, you will be ok as long as you understand the trade in realities.

If you are not going to shoot serious competition, Any semi out that fits your body and your budget will be on. My first pick was the Beretta 391 Parallel target semi automatic and my Remington choice was an 11-87 premier Trap. I have shot doubles trap and skeet with a pump gun, but it is pretty tough to do well.

Good Luck and have fun

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Leo pretty well hit the nail on the head.
    If you are looking for one gun to shoot multiple disciplines get a 12g. The 12 really shines at longer distance shooting compared to a 20. I wouldn't even consider a .410 at this point

First of all it's hard to make a recommendation without a ballpark budget. As they say, you get what you pay for so if you buy a cheap gun just know it will not handle the volume of a shooting that a better quality gun will handle.

If your budget is more in the $1k range, you might look at a CZ or SKB. Both are Turkish made but are a bit nicer than other sub
    $1k guns.

If you decide to go with a semi auto, remember to keep it clean to avoid problems.

Looks like you are in Franklin, so in addition to Indiana Gun Club (which is a great source with good inventory), you might try The Outdoorsman down at 135 & Smith Valley rd area.

Reactions: Leo

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Looking for advise for purchasing a used shotgun for routine Skeet/Trap shooting.. Auto, Pump, barrel length, 12, 20 or 410 gauge, Brands to buy yes, Brands to buy No. Please don't bury me in technical specs, just want a fun reasonably priced shotgun for hobby shooting. Don't have near 50 posts for the Classified section, so I'll search at Gun Shows or through my local friends. Thank you in advance....
    Welcome to INGO!
    We 'tinker' around with skeet and trap on the farm, having a single clay pigeon spring thrower.
    The kids started with single-shot 20 GA shotguns (H&R Handi-Rifles) which worked fine for beginners when they were young. They were able to learn the basics without going through too much ammo, and each developed a fairly decent eye for the sport.
    I picked up a Steven 555 O/U in 20 GA a year or so ago, and it quickly became everyone's favorite when over at dad's. Super lite alloy frame makes for an easy-to-use shotgun, at least at the entry-level, and makes for an enjoyable experience for the wife and daughter from a weight viewpoint. I believe I was in the mid-600's for it.

Top Bottom