• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i agree with you about the CZ's. I have 2 of the 527 Varmints in 204 ruger and also a 527 Varmint in 17 remington. They are great guns. The set trigger and detachable mag are a definate plus. CZ's may be imported but they are hands down one of the best rifles you can buy for under a thousand dollars. The only way you are going to get a better quality gun is going to a Cooper or a Kimber.

Cz should be less expensive.

You can't go wrong with either one-- features are almost identical other than the Ruger being stainless---I have a m77 in 30-06 and my first varmint rifle was/is a heavy barrel m77 in 22-250. I also have two CZ 527's---an American in 204 and a Varmint in 17 Rem.

The 17 is pretty much with me in the truck all the time during hunting season so I guess that speaks for what I prefer. The 527 is a really neat little action. I like the detachable magazine, it has a set trigger and I have handloads that will get this rifle in the .5's. I will shoot it out to about 250 yds.
    the 204 American is a really light rifle and if I get into calling that is what it will be used for.

I guess if I was going to buy another varmint rifle it would be another 527 varmint in 204 or 223.

Steve

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I have 2 of the 527 Varmints in 204 ruger
    deadsquirrel---let me hijack for a moment--

bRAD---what are you shooting in the 204 and I am wondering what kind of accuracy you are getting? I've not done much with mine but I know it has a real long throat and have beeen thinking of setting the barrel back one thread and rechambering.

steve

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i normally shoot the 32 grain Hornady ammo. I have found that to be the most accurate. I have everything to make my own loads, however the factory ammo is so accurate that it makes it difficult to deviate away from it. I don't shoot much paper so i can't give you a great accuracy answer. I can say that it will definately shoot minute of groundhog out to 300 yards plus. :D

deadsquirrel---let me hijack for a moment--

bRAD---what are you shooting in the 204 and I am wondering what kind of accuracy you are getting? I've not done much with mine but I know it has a real long throat and have beeen thinking of setting the barrel back one thread and rechambering.

steve

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    shoot minute of groundhog out to 300 yards plus.
    Now that there is generally enough in a "Huntin" rifle:D

I guess I just get anal with the smaller calibers(got a 22br that shoots minute of Prairie dogs eyeball out to 300):rockwoot:
    Thanks for the reply and now back to you deadsquirrel!

Steve

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    depending on the quality of the parts somewhere between $700 and $1,000 from the research that i have done. And yes they make 204 barrels for the ar-15's. You can also buy a complete gun from Remington and Dpms with the 204 barrel already installed for around $1,200 if i remember correctly.

how much would it cost to build an A R for yote huntin and can you get one in 204

rocky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    In my opinion for the money spent the remington 700 vls in 243 winchester is very hard to beat, Bull barrel, 26 inches, monte carlo stock and cheek piece. Mine has a harris bipod and a nikon buckmaster 4-12 x 50 with paralax adjustment. It is an absolute tack driver .368 group at 100 yards. I am shooting hornady v max 75 grain bullets handloaded. There are more expensive guns out there but I am shooting .368 groups. How good do you want to get.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i have never owned a ruger m77 so i can't really speak about the dislikes of that particular gun. I think you are on the right track looking at the CZ rifles. I am sure you won't be disappointed if you make that purchase.

I hear so many good things about the CZ rifles i am leaning that way as of now. simply put, what do people not like about the Ruger?

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    In my opinion for the money spent the remington 700 vls in 243 winchester is very hard to beat, Bull barrel, 26 inches, monte carlo stock and cheek piece. Mine has a harris bipod and a nikon buckmaster 4-12 x 50 with paralax adjustment. It is an absolute tack driver .368 group at 100 yards. I am shooting hornady v max 75 grain bullets handloaded. There are more expensive guns out there but I am shooting .368 groups. How good do you want to get.

i am really just looking at the 204 cartridge. not a bull barrel either. something < 8 pounds and a 24" barrel. I am looking at the CZ and the Ruger becasue they both seem to fit the bill perfectly.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    go with the cz I have several and you wount be disapointed I have had 2 ruger 77 both needed trigger work and one was not a shotter but I have never seen a CZ that did not shot well and an owner that was disapionted.:twocents:

257robertsimp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    I am not so sure about the 204. I would suggest a 22-250 or 243, I really like the 700 Remington, If you handload the 243 is capable of varmints and deer. As a varmint cartride you can load 55 grain ballistic tips up to 4000 fps, then you can shoot 100 grain bullets if you want to go out of state deer hunting.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    if i remember correctly both the 527 American and 527 Varmint models are under 8 lbs. The varmint has a 24" heavy (bull) barrel and the American has a 22" standard barrel. For what its worth i would stick with the heavy barrel, they are about $40 cheaper as well.

i am really just looking at the 204 cartridge. not a bull barrel either. something < 8 pounds and a 24" barrel. I am looking at the CZ and the Ruger becasue they both seem to fit the bill perfectly.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Ditto on the Remington 700 and 22-250. If your lighter on funds, look at Savage. I wouldn't let the price of ammo scare you on a varmint gun. Once its sighted in and the "honey moon" is over you won't put that many rounds through it to really matter, and if you do you should be finding a market for Coyote pelts :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    A Savage Mod 93 in .22WMR is a GREAT value in a varmint rifle...it's a relatively inexpensive bolt rifle with a scope already included if you want it and the ammo is a great load that will easily handle a coyote...pluse the ammo is cheap.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I don't know how many guns you have but maybe versatility should be considered... Think about a name brand used bolt action in .243... just in case you ever go into the north of michigan deer hunting or West hunting pronghorn....

Top Bottom