• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Colt 1911 Comp 9mm that I purchased about 7 months ago and the finish that comes from the factory is not good at all so I am wanting to get it refinished but not sure in what? Here is where you come in. I am not super knowledgeable about the different finishes out there so I am looking for advice on what finish is the most durable but yet still looks good. Ready, set and go! Thanks :popcorn:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cerakote seems to be the current best firearm finish. It has been around awhile, and when preparation and application are done correctly, it will last better than the others.

There are several places around that will do it for you, they're easy to find on here. Look at Allen's work, good stuff.

Or you can do it yourself if you want to do more than a few firearms.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Take a look at APW Cogan (accurate plating )they are right up at the top of the class ,Fords ,Turnbull if you have years to wait
    It also depends on what you want ,I like classic blue others have difference opinions like ass we ue all have one. Look at them all and then make up your mind as to what you want I have been asked by many as to what grips i would put on their gun ,my reply is ,That is like me picking a wife for you.You have to be happy with her not me

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    few more finishes and shops
    After several people on the Colt forum got VERY substandard refinish work back from Ford's, we no longer recommend them until further feedback from customers.

Apparently they hired a new person and several Pythons were ruined.
    Until we find out if this was an anomaly or the way things are going to be we on the forum will not recommend Ford's.

Here's some of the top refinishers. Each offers different options and pricing so you need to do some reading on their sites:

APW-Cogan is probably the best all around gun refinisher. They're best known for top of the line hard chrome work.
    Home - Accurate Plating & Weaponry | Cogan Custom

Glenrock is very well known and respected in the industry. A good number of top custom shops use them for high grade bluing:
    Glenrock Blue

I haven't seen Elite's work lately but they have a good rep:
    Elite Custom Plating -- Re-Finishing, Custom Work, Competition Guns

TechPlate is very big in the aero-space industry and offer just about all types of finishes including hard chrome:
    Welcome to TechPlate, Inc. Firearms retail plating price list

Metaloy is excellent and does hard chrome work for top custom shops:
    Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish

Armoloy has a number of shops, but the Fort Worth center was the first to offer hard chrome to the public.
    They're one of the few who offer plating inside of barrels and chambers.
    I used them extensively for some years in the 80's but after some substandard work and a "supposedly" stolen gun I stopped using them.
    When they did it right it was excellent.
    http://armoloyfw.com/

Robar has a great rep and offers a variety of plated and coated type finishes:
    https://robarguns.com/

Reliable Plating offer specialty finishes like gold, silver, etc.
    http://www.reliableelectroplating.com/index.html

The famous Turnbull company offer actual firearms restoration services and refinish jobs using the older types like the various heat blues and color case hardening:
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

Ron's also offer old school finishes:
    http://www.ronsgunshop.com/

Mahovsky has been around for many years and has had a top reputation.
    Recent reports indicate they may be slipping a little. The major complaint with them has always been a near total lack of communication:
    http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Of the finishes available today, hard chrome is still the best all around type, and one of the very few that's considered to be a real lifetime finish.
    Hard chrome is available in a variety of final looks ranging from the original satin pearl-gray, to a brush stainless steel look, to a full mirror bright look.
    The final appearance depends on the metal finish since once plated it can't be changed.
    Benefits are that it's harder then a Swiss file, improves the trigger pull, requires less lubrication, and cleans easier since fouling is easy to see and won't adhere to the "slick" plating.
    It's very corrosion resistant, and is proof against almost all common solvents and many acids.

Standard bluing has to have care taken in picking a processor because about 95% of the job is hand polishing and that's where a ham-handed polisher can easily ruin a gun.
    Due to the heavy need of hand labor costs are high and trustworthy providers are rare.

Parkerizing of the two types is a good rough duty finish, but looks best on a military type weapon.

Bright nickel is a traditional finish, but lacks durability and protection.

The newer nitride finishes are tough and hard, but the jury is still out on how good it is long term.

The newer "paint" type epoxy coatings are available in about any color you want and are usually more durable then bluing or even parkerizing, but not as good as a hard chrome or nitride finish.
    Of these finishes, the best is Cerakote, which is an epoxy-ceramic mix that's being used by some gun makers and custom shops as a standard finish.
    With Cerakote correct application process is absolutely critical to insure a durable finish. Unless applied strictly to the company procedure the finish won't adhere well.

Electroless Nickel is said to be very rust resisting, but it's not all that durable.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One of our INGO regulars has a CZ with an exceptionally nicely done Cerakote finish performed by AllenM.
    He made it as close as possible to the look of conventional bluing, but with greater durability.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a cerekoted Kimber 1911 done by AllenM I bought from a friend and it's held up awesome. Cerekote is great stuff. If you insisted on doing it yourself I'd say GunKote as it's much easier to get it to look good, especially if you aren't a paint guy!

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Thank you for all this great info! I am wanting to keep my Colt looking like it did when I bought it (7months) so I am thinking that the blue cerakote finish is what I am leaning towards. Again thank you for all this info and contact info.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    May I have may I have AllenM's contact info. Thanks Sean

He's your first reply, so just drop him a PM, and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you whatever you need.
    Lots of folks here recommend his work, and there are all kinds of photos of his finished products from those people.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I am going to use AllenM for the refinishing of my 1911 Colt. (Going with the blue Cerakote) I will post pics once it is done! Thanks to everyone for their help.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I am going to use AllenM for the refinishing of my 1911 Colt. (Going with the blue Cerakote) I will post pics once it is done! Thanks to everyone for their help.

Excellent choice.
    It really is important to get a professional who knows how to apply it the right way.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom