• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So a friend of mine told a friend of hers that I would be interested in taking out a few coyotes that are raping themhorses, riding off on the women and generally causing a nuisance on her large estate. I know what you're thinking, "uh..yeah, Viper's gonna get a chance to break in the new .308." Unfortunately, not so. Here is the catch, While on several acres, this homestead is within city limits and no firing of guns is gonna be permitted. Ok, so archery hunting it is. I have a Hoyt Katera which is a fine instrument for this opera.

Questions:
    1. How do you do a 'yote from that close? Tree stand? Seems like being on the ground might not be such a great idea.
    2. Is it time to get a crossbow?
    3. Can you bait coyotes? what would you use?

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks INGO!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I would think that trapping would be ideal in this situation.

I did suggest that. Apparently this woman has had trappers in the past but considers it too expensive. I am not personally familiar with the age old art. If people think I'm best advised not to try this, I will back out and tell her to get a trapper. Thats part of why I posted this. So...thanks!

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Yes you can bait coyotes. use any old deer , cow or hog carcuss.
    Keep in mind it will attrack more than coyotes.

Blind or tree stand will work but it's very hard to get a yote into bow range and draw without getting busted.
    It can be done but the odd will be stacked well against you and I doudt you will kill many of them thus not solving her problem.

Sounds like the lady needs to come to terms with money vs coyote problem.

Fur prices are way down and gas prices are way up and traps have to be checked once every 24 hours so that = money
    then add in the cost of equipment (traps, lure , bait ,stakes, trap dye etc.)
    I doudt any trapper will make anything more than their money back helping the lady with her coyote problems.

When I call a plumber or a electrician they don't do it to break even , so why would she think the trapper should?

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I think that the most cost effective method is trapping. Traps are there 24/7.
    I have a friend who is working on 40 yotes this season. Last time I talked to him he had 35. Mostly through snares and foot hold traps.
    A lot of time would have to be spent baiting/hunting to compete with traps.
    If you was closer I could turn you on to my friend, he could take care of the problem.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are live traps large enough to hold a coyote. You don't have to check those any more than your curiosity allows.

The only problem is getting a skittish animal to actually go into a live trap without setting it off too soon.

I have found that if you lock the door open, and allow animals to get used to feeding inside the trap, it makes it much easier to catch them when you set the trigger.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Ditto on trapping. Google 'coyote trapping', lots of info. Hunting them is time consuming and very difficult for real effectiveness....they are the smartest critters in the woods. Trying to kill many coyotes with a bow, any bow is a great feat and is a good challenge but trapping is the way to make a real dent in the local population.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    dumb question... So lets say you trap one. How do you kill it? or is the trap going to do that for you too?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The trap will not kill it. That will be up to the trapper to use his imagination. Since the OP has a bow, that would be effective.

Especially in a foot hold trap. For a live trap, you can just transport it someplace where you can shoot it.

Realistically...no on is going to report a single gunshot. When people hear something, they stop and listen for it to repeat. No repeats...all's clear. Not that I advocate discharging a firearm within city limits. Just sayin...

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    The trap will not kill it. That will be up to the trapper to use his imagination. Since the OP has a bow, that would be effective.

Especially in a foot hold trap. For a live trap, you can just transport it someplace where you can shoot it.

Realistically...no on is going to report a single gunshot. When people hear something, they stop and listen for it to repeat. No repeats...all's clear. Not that I advocate discharging a firearm within city limits. Just sayin...

i figured the trapper, would use like a .22 they aren't loud and i doubt any one would really notice. Not that im advocating shooting in city limits. It was more of a mind exercise.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I've killed several coyotes by bow incident to deer hunting. Very hit and miss to get them in range. If you hear or see them coming, the trick is to draw NOW, as soon as you become aware they are in the vicinity. Don't wait like you do with deer, until they present the shot. Coyotes trot through the area and you will get a shot or it will be gone in 20 seconds.
    Other thoughts:
    Lip squeak can help a tad.
    Never done bait, can't comment on that.
    Trapping far and away her best bet.

HB

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Once you get the coyote in the live trap a long underwater swin in the local pond does wonders. I do that with skunks so they don't spray.

Baiting is OK but you are going to have to stake and tie off the bait so the coyotes do not carry it away.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    you might try a ground blind and baiting. If you can call from a place you can see them coming b4 they see you like a small knoll they have to go around and get the bow drawn you might nail 1 or 2 that way.

They're tough with a bow. Best of luck in the endeavor.:yesway:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Lots of good ideas/advice. I think what I'm gonna do is tell her she oughta get/pay someone to trap them but in the meantime I'll try my luck and nabbing a couple just for the exercise until the traps go online.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Once you get the coyote in the live trap a long underwater swin in the local pond does wonders. I do that with skunks so they don't spray.

Baiting is OK but you are going to have to stake and tie off the bait so the coyotes do not carry it away.

that's terrible. There is no reason you have to torture the poor thing before you kill it.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    as far a bait i have found that a couple cheap cans of dog food carries a good scent and brings them running . as everyone has pointed out getting a shot with a bow will be difficult. scent control will be key and set up at about 40 to 50yds out with the wind in your face . also might try rabbit in distress calls they like bunnies

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    just think about the grass (its living) that you kill when you walk on it
    what about the bugs you kill while you drive down the road on a summer night?
    I mean hell its all living isnt it???
    if your gonna stick up for **** dont pick and choose go large
    protect it all

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    For baiting start with a 2 gallon bucket of frozen meat/dog food whatever. Monitor the bait and slowly decrease the size of the bait to that of a softball. Eventually this will change their patterns and draw them out earlier and make them a little less cautious.
    This only works when it's colder and the bait can stay frozen for extended periods of time.
    Should make trapping or archery a little more predictable.

Top Bottom