• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    LE can't enforce compensation that hasn't been adjudicated by a judge. Even then, I don't know that they have all that much role in enforcing it. The police can only provide evidence that the other dog was the aggressor and in the wrong.
    Oops I guess it kinda read that way. I meant a police report, (assuming it shows the other dog/party was in the wrong), would be the best bet, which could then be used as evidence to go to small claims. Yeah, police aren't going to collect money from them for you lol

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Intelligent apex predators that violate my property/family will be composted.

BTW. If their dog was in violation of the leash law (assuming there is one) you can ask for punitive damages.

I had a situation like this years ago and settled for real damages, but it was a long time before my dog (a Scottie) recovered. (Wasn't carrying that day, but did thereafter on walks.) Of course the attacking golden retriever 'had never done anything like this before'. Right.

Even if he himself was in violation of the leash law as well?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When you have guns growing outta your butt.
    I think I'm going to have to stick with taking the irrational criticism of INGO. It's less painful.

I feel for your little dog and hope it's alright.
    That being said....IF you know the neighbor's dog is a threat then I think I might let my situational awareness kick in and KNOW that there's a possible threat lurking and take appropriate actions before things happen?
    That predator should be restrained by the neighbors but that's all that dog knows. We must be smarter than the dogs.
    How does one KNOW something is going to happen in the future? My dog is in my fenced yard. Some of you have a connection with Sylvia Brown, don't you?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

I get the idea that in depends on the situation and where the attack happened, though IANAL. Even though I myself was in violation of the leash law when my dog was attacked, the owners of the attacking dogs were still liable for the vet bill. I was on my own front porch...so was my dog. He actually stays where he's asked to stay regardless of what's going on around him so I allowed him to come outside. Bad idea.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

This would probably depend on the exact wording of the ordinance. On your own property you might well be okay.

If the neighbor's dog has a 'propensity' to attack (even one recorded bite/attack), that will not go well for the owners.

Had the OP been bitten or injured by the offending dog as well, that would probably be game, set and match for 'Yukon King'...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LE can't enforce compensation that hasn't been adjudicated by a judge. Even then, I don't know that they have all that much role in enforcing it. The police can only provide evidence that the other dog was the aggressor and in the wrong.

Has Streak been banned again?

Even if this dribble had an ounce of truth, it doesn't matter.

The irony is that he's all for using the government to replace parents.

At what level does one have to keep vigilant to satisfy the experts on INGO?

Well thank you 88. I am now am expert.

Just saying that he knew the dog was aggressive so just watch for it. Nothing more, nothing less. No fence apparently so open your eyes if you know there is a problem animal right next door un-tethered.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    For the record, I DO think the offending dog owner is responsible for all damages, just like everyone else says. I in no way indicated otherwise. I just don't blame the offending dog necessarily, although it sounds like he isn't from the best home based on the description. None of you would blame a dog for giving chase and catching a squirrel or rabbit, even if it were killed, and from a dog's perspective a six pound dog is no different (they have no concept of whether it belongs to humans). Again, legally, the owner should have had his dog on a leash, period.

Obviously I can't stand little yappers, and think they make terrible pets, but like I said, that is just my opinion as a dog owner, and is not meant as an attack on OP. I apologize to OP for being so blunt about it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well thank you 88. I am now am expert.

Just saying that he knew the dog was aggressive so just watch for it. Nothing more, nothing less. No fence apparently so open your eyes if you know there is a problem animal right next door un-tethered.
    How do you know he wasn't watching? Do you know how fast a dog can be on something? I understand the admonition to remain vigilant, but damn near every one was worded to imply the OP had been severely lacking in SA.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For the record, I DO think the offending dog owner is responsible for all damages, just like everyone else says. I in no way indicated otherwise. I just don't blame the offending dog necessarily, although it sounds like he isn't from the best home based on the description. None of you would blame a dog for giving chase and catching a squirrel or rabbit, even if it were killed, and from a dog's perspective a six pound dog is no different (they have no concept of whether it belongs to humans). Again, legally, the owner should have had his dog on a leash, period.

Obviously I can't stand little yappers, and think they make terrible pets, but like I said, that is just my opinion as a dog owner, and is not meant as an attack on OP. I apologize to OP for being so blunt about it.

I think a lot of that depends on the dog....and how the dog was trained and socialized. My dogs are both pretty large, but they are just fine around small dogs and cats. If one of them happens to see a squirrel or a rabbit or some other pest, that rodent will be torn to shreds. They know the difference. Dogs are quite a bit smarter than we give them credit for. No, I do not blame the dog in this instance. I blame the owners. If they had taught it to "play nice" with smaller animals this may not have happened. In any case, hindsight is always 20/20. Hopefully this incident doesn't happen again. Both for the sake of the OP and his dog. I'm not a fan of small breeds either but I don't want to see them get hurt.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How do you know he wasn't watching? Do you know how fast a dog can be on something? I understand the admonition to remain vigilant, but damn near every one was worded to imply the OP had been severely lacking in SA.

:+1: I have a dog that's half greyhound. When I let him go after something, his speed is unbelievable. Although I agree that dog owners should watch and do their best to be aware, there's only so much one can do. A lot of dogs are fairly silent while giving chase. You don't even know they're coming until they're there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I and I alone are responsible for those under my charge.
    I had a shi tsu that was a house dog. A huge owl came down and grabbed the dog and took off. Was it the owl's fault? Nope, it was my fault.
    There's owls, yotes, and the occasional stray in my area. I know they're there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a shi tsu that was a house dog. A huge owl came down and grabbed the dog and took off. Was it the owl's fault? Nope, it was my fault.

Oh hell no. An owl. That is insane.

But wait....88 will find some way to turn this around on you.........:popcorn:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

Wild animals and strays are a different story in my eyes. By your line of reasoning, if I allowed my vicious dog to run loose and it attacked a small child, it's the child's parents' fault for not being responsible. If someone is going to take on the responsibility of a dog, they need to be responsible for it and any damages it may do. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't get a dog. Yes, if it had been a wild animal that had attacked the OP's dog then there's not much recourse. But it wasn't. Apples to oranges.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You know....I have no idea at all what the man was doing and really do not care. I listed 6 things as food for thought. You pick one line...again...and make it into one of your patented sound bite told you so's.

Big freaking deal. You argue with your shadow don't you. Give it a rest.

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    Or failed to. Luckily, we live in a rural area where trespassing dogs can be shot, buried and never spoken of again. I don't shoot them the first time they are on my property unless they are killing livestock or threatening us in some way, but repeat offenders tend to disappear. The one that came at me when I yelled at it to drop my guinea never left and nobody ever came looking for it.
    I could never guess why you have problems with your neighbors if you shoot dogs because you live in the country. Born and raised in the country, avid hunter, and huge dog person so this irks me. Maybe the dogs are wondering through because they are homeless. It is one thing to dispatch of them because they are a threat, but to just shoot them because they are there and not causing any trouble is just sad.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This thread is just starting to make me sad. The OP posted for advice because he was upset that his dog was attacked and he wasn't sure what to do. We (myself included) succeeded in turning it into an argument over who is responsible and how to go about remedying the problem/getting revenge. No one asked for our opinions on how the situation could have been avoided or whether or not we should shoot the attacking dog. It was a simple question asking what to do next. I apologize to the OP for contributing to dragging out the debate. That wasn't what you were asking for. It's a shame what happened and whether it could have been avoided or not doesn't really matter. It happened. And I'm truly sorry that I let myself go into "someone is wrong on the internet" mode.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I could never guess why you have problems with your neighbors if you shoot dogs because you live in the country. Born and raised in the country, avid hunter, and huge dog person so this irks me. Maybe the dogs are wondering through because they are homeless. It is one thing to dispatch of them because they are a threat, but to just shoot them because they are there and not causing any trouble is just sad.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wild animals and strays are a different story in my eyes. By your line of reasoning, if I allowed my vicious dog to run loose and it attacked a small child, it's the child's parents' fault for not being responsible. If someone is going to take on the responsibility of a dog, they need to be responsible for it and any damages it may do. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't get a dog. Yes, if it had been a wild animal that had attacked the OP's dog then there's not much recourse. But it wasn't. Apples to oranges.

I am responsible IF I put my defenseless child in a position to be attacked. What kind of parent would I be IF I didn't protect my defenseless child. Yea, that's my reasoning.

Top Bottom