• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I've got a dilemma and I figured that someone here might have some good advice to help me work through it. So here it is...

I've been carrying a Taurus 606 for the better part of a year. It's a 6 shot .357 magnum with a barrel slightly longer than 2" (maybe 2 1/8"?). It has a frame size that is comparable, if not identical, to a Smith & Wesson K Frame. This isn't a pocket revolver, for sure! What it is, though, is a great shooter. I've probably put 500-700 rounds down range in the last 9 months and it's just a joy to shoot. The extra weight means that even shooting 357's is comfortable.

So here comes the problem... and it isn't what most people are thinking. Nope, it's not the weight. I don't mind how heavy it is. It's not the size, either. I'm 6'1" and 190 pounds, so I can usually conceal most pistols with a little thought and the right rig. That last bit is the issue, though: the right rig. It is incredibly difficult to find a decent k frame holster! I've got a Don Hume OWB holster without a thumb break that is flappy and has zero cant. The flappiness means it with slide out while I'm sitting, and the zero cant makes hiding the full grip a little more challenging. I got some kind of IWB holster, but it's worthless really. It's some kind of spandex looking thing with no mouth support at all. Once you draw the revolver out it's impossible to put it back in without removing the holster. Furthermore, the material is rather slippery so that if I tighten my belt to an appropriate level it feels as if the holster is popping out of my pants. I've looked high and low at available alternatives with little success. Galco makes a paddle holster that looks nice, but paddle holsters are pretty difficult to conceal.

So here's where I'm hoping someone can help. Does anyone know where I can locate a nice rig for a K frame that is concealable? By concealable I mean either IWB or OWB, but still held close to the body.

If not, can someone recommend a j frame to me that I ought to switch over to? Here is my concern with the j frame, though. One of the reasons I really enjoy the Taurus is that it has a nice grip and enough weight to shoot comfortably. I'm concerned that switching to a j frame will stick me with a recoil monster that I really won't enjoy shooting anymore. Mind you, I have no problem ditching the .357 and buying something rated for .38 Special +P. Is there a j frame revolver that isn't an airweight? Or is there an airweight revolver that, despite its light weight, is still comfortable to shoot?

I like the look of the Smith & Wesson Model 60. It appears to be all stainless rather than an alloy or composite, and has a nice full grip. Is there a quality alternative to the model 60? I know a lot of people swear by the 642. Can a larger grip be purchased for it? How is the recoil?

Going even further away from what I currently have, I have heard positive things about the Ruger LCR. It seems to have a nice hogue grip and rumor has it that it is recoil-friendly despite it's light weight. What do people think about this option?

Finally, the purpose of this revolver is self-defense/carry. It will not be a range toy. It will be shot at the range likely 8-10 times a year to make sure I'm comfortable with it, but not really for plinking away. Comfortably concealable is what I'm after. I would prefer to steer clear of autoloaders. For whatever reason, I don't prefer sub-compact semis. I enjoy the hell out of a full-size, but the subs just don't feel right.

So... now that I've finished my ridiculously long explanation and request, what are your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

-Mark

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Those look great! I'll have to shoot em an e-mail tomorrow. Do you know if the wait times are similar to Milt Sparks (i.e., 26 weeks)?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Several people on this site make custom gear, (I'm one of them. :p)

Problem being that they would probably need to get a hold of your gun, or an identical model, in order to make you a holster for it. If there is one that lives close to you though, it might be workable. Hopefully they'll chime in when they see this thread.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I like Raven Concealment Systems for OWB concealment holsters. If you go to the Indy 1500 here in a few weeks they will make one for you at the show (And you will miss out on the long wait time). Raven is all Kydex though.
    If you don't like all kydex (or want IWB), BlueEagle and a few other members here make custom hybrid holsters (half leather and half kydex) [based on the style of Crossbread who also make holsters and may be able to make a custom one for you]

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Those look great! I'll have to shoot em an e-mail tomorrow. Do you know if the wait times are similar to Milt Sparks (i.e., 26 weeks)?

They are saying 10-12 weeks for delivery on their order form.

Shoot them an email and give all the details. I would not buy a holster for a K frame Smith from Mitch Rosen and assume your Taurus would fit. Ask first. They do a lot of hand boning to make holsters fit.

They didn't make a holster to fit my gun (K frame with 3" L barrel) so I had to send my gun. They built the holster using the gun as the leather was boned to a perfect fit. I was somewhat apprehensive sending my new gun to be used as a fitting tool, but after a phone call, I was satisfied that they would take good care of my weapon.

I ordered the 5JR in mahogany with full lining and a gun belt. The leather arrived and I couldn't believe the level of craftsmanship. My gun didn't have a single mark on it.

Could you get a holster of equal quality from a local holster maker? Call one, or two, or ten. Tell them what you want or expect in a custom made holster. You have to think that Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, etc were all just guys making holsters in their basements as a side job at one time.

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN

They are saying 10-12 weeks for delivery on their order form.

Shoot them an email and give all the details. I would not buy a holster for a K frame Smith from Mitch Rosen and assume your Taurus would fit. Ask first. They do a lot of hand boning to make holsters fit.

They didn't make a holster to fit my gun (K frame with 3" L barrel) so I had to send my gun. They built the holster using the gun as the leather was boned to a perfect fit. I was somewhat apprehensive sending my new gun to be used as a fitting tool, but after a phone call, I was satisfied that they would take good care of my weapon.

I ordered the 5JR in mahogany with full lining and a gun belt. The leather arrived and I couldn't believe the level of craftsmanship. My gun didn't have a single mark on it.

Could you get a holster of equal quality from a local holster maker? Call one, or two, or ten. Tell them what you want or expect in a custom made holster. You have to think that Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, etc were all just guys making holsters in their basements as a side job at one time.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Look at Bianchi Black leather belt slide or El Paso Saddlery. They wetmold to your frame and the Bianchi has an open bottom. Good for 2,3 or 4in models.(I think it is called a Black Widow #5). El Paso is a little costly, but top quality. I believe their model is called Street Justice? Can't carry a revolver in kydex, seems like an injustice to leather and revolvers. I own kydex for semi autos and does work fine. Good Luck.

Top Bottom