• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    I'm thinking about getting a black powder revolver but I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money. I've never been interested in them before so I'm not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You can get them at shows or on Gunbroker for as little as $100. I wouldn't pay more than $150 unless it had some fancy features. The Colt Signature series models go for about $700 because it says Colt on them. Be sure to read up on how to load and shoot one because they can be dangerous if you don't do it right.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Pietta guns are nice to shoot. We have an 1860 Army and an 1858 Navy. The BP guns are a nice departure form the norm. You will definitely not burn through a bunch of ammo when shooting BP, but what you do shoot will be more satisfying than a couple of boxes full of 9mm or other modern rounds. Do a bit of reading to figure out what you need and then take it slow.

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    The Pietta guns are nice to shoot. We have an 1860 Army and an 1858 Navy. The BP guns are a nice departure form the norm. You will definitely not burn through a bunch of ammo when shooting BP, but what you do shoot will be more satisfying than a couple of boxes full of 9mm or other modern rounds. Do a bit of reading to figure out what you need and then take it slow.

My buddy has an .50 cal BP "pirate gun" (that's what I call it as I have no experience with BP) which was a blast to shoot, but I want something with follow up shots for sure, just incase I decide to carry it as edc someday.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My first handgun was a BP revolver. I started out with a Pietta 1860 kit from Cabellas. It had everything but powder and caps to get me started, and was a blast to shoot.

I have since converted it to a cartridge cylinder, just because I got sick of cleaning it every time I shot it, though it is as simple as switching out the cylinder to go back to BP.

Some words of advice:

1. Stick with a steel frame. They are more expensive, but are stronger, offering a good bit more of a safety margin. Brass looks good, but even with the originals, it was a second choice, used when steel just wasnt available to use for frames.

2.As a matter of convince, look into the 1858, or other similar full frame models. I started with an 1860 only because they looked cool, and that was what Josey Wales used, but as a matter of practicality, the full frame is easier to take the cylinder out of. This will be even more a matter of convince if you later decide to do a cartridge conversion.

3. Last, but not least in the short list, DO NOT DRY FIRE!!! I know it sounds redundant, but dry firing a cap an ball revolver will mess up the nipples, and it will fail to fire the caps when you do go to shoot it.

Other than that, have fun, be safe, and if at all possible, find someone that is familiar with them to show you the ropes either before, or when you go to try out your new hobby.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I play in SASS and use a pair of Colt 1851 2nd gen Navy's as my main match guns, they are .36's. If you would want to come to Plainfield to shoot I can let you shoot 3 different guns. Ruger Old Armys, Uberti 1860 Armys with 1851 Navy grip frame. Looks like a 1861 Colt Navy but in .44. A LeMatt 9 shoot. I have 4 manufacturer brands. You would be shooting on me, no cost to you. If you are not buying new stay away from Armi San Marco as the company closed making parts imposable to get if needed.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My buddy has an .50 cal BP "pirate gun" (that's what I call it as I have no experience with BP) which was a blast to shoot, but I want something with follow up shots for sure, just incase I decide to carry it as edc someday.

If EDC is a possibility with this revolver, perhaps you might reconsider the cap & ball models. These models can be finicky when reliability may be a life & death situation. Perhaps consider a SAA-type revolver loaded with blackpowder cartridges? I've reloaded .45 Colt for mine, and also .45 ACP for my 1911. (gets some looks for sure!)

ol' poke

SandyConner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Yorktown
    I got to shoot a black powder revolver about a week ago..... talk about fun!!!

It was alot more accurate than I would have ever guessed and it was SLOW to load. It sure gives an appreciation for how far the technology has come.

Still, it was fun!

Top Bottom