• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    i bought my m4e1 lower to day i have a question can you use detent spring and pin or do you need the pin spring and screw from areo

I assume you are referring to the rear takedown detent. You can use a standard spring and detent pin without a screw or get a 4-40x1/8" set screw from a hardware store, Lowes, Menards, etc.

If you use the screw (and I love it) you need to clip a couple of coils off of the detent spring to make up for the extra length of the screw.

I suggest having a few extra springs in case you launch one into oblivion trying to assemble it. I use the flat side of a small straight bladed screwdriver to press the spring in and slide it back as I place the set screw (held on the end of a hex key/allen wrench) over the spring.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't know that there is a huge difference in one mil spec lower compared to another mil spec lower. I have paid extra a few times because of the little picture that Spikes puts on theirs.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’ve personally used Aero in my .308 build and also built two 5.56 rifles with their upper and lower sets. No complaints except for a little bit of media can collect in the detent spring holes. (Easily removed but many people have issues during assembly) Price is very reasonable. They do offer plenty of sales and military discount. They also partnered with ballistic advantage who makes great barrels and are also priced well IMO.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have built several Aero lowers (including an M4E1) without issue. Their LPKs have been hit or miss when it comes to the fire control group though.

As for the takedown spring and plunger being retained by the 4-40 setscrew in their LPKs, the spring will coil-bind if the screw is beyond flush with the latch plate seating surface on the lower receiver, thus interfering with proper function of the takedown pin.

Insert the 4-40 screw until just flush (check by sliding a flat object across the screw) and you should be fine without having to shorten the spring. That’s my experience anyway.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’ve always just cut the length of the set screw off of the spring and it’s never been a problem. My sample size is only 3. But I do like your idea of only tightening to flush fit it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I’ve always just cut the length of the set screw off of the spring and it’s never been a problem. My sample size is only 3. But I do like your idea of only tightening to flush fit it.

Yeah, my M5 was virtually impossible to set the screw without shortening the spring, I tried for about an hour lol to get it to work. Finally shortened the spring and had no issues, maybe it's different on the M4's I don't know.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    I have done dozens of builds with Aero and have had 0 issues. They are partnered with ballistic advantage which makes nice uppers/lowers as well

Top Bottom