• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nope. A braai is a good old fashioned grilling. Toss it on the grill and you've got a braai going. Surprised they haven't treated you to one yet. It's the South African tradition. Everyone braais! You obviously are in need of some boerewors!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    When I get home, I must remember to tell you of The Kudu Betrayal. It is a really funny story. My brother in law made a great shot and took a nice kudu today, but that's only part of the story. ;)

We had buffalo steaks tonight, which were good, and gemsbuck fillets, which were outstanding. Kudu pie was last night's main course. The Kudu pie begins the story.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yes! I'm planning on posting pics and telling stories soon. I've just been swamped with work since I returned, along with needing to spend time with the kids. :):

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here you go! This gemsbok was on the top of my list, and I got her the first day. The rest of the week, we couldn't get a shot on one. Our PH did a great job with this one. It doubled back behind us, and became curious. They usually stay in their small groups, but this one came back to have a look, and the PH set me up perfectly for a shot. I've got to give props here to the Barnes TSX bullets. They really do a number on the game. I've never seen a deadlier bullet. The Rem 700's were really accurate with them, too. We had Federal 30-06 with 165 grain Barnes TSX, and Federal 165 grain Nosler Partitions. The rifles didn't like the Noslers, so we retired them in favor of the Barnes, which were easily dialed in with just a few shots. Our confidence was really high with this combo. One rifle had a Zeiss 3-9x40, and the other had a Leupold Mk. IV 4-14x50. The Zeiss was nice, but the Mk. IV proved superior.

IMG_20130714_112057_390_zps7c39a0c3.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Speaking of the wonderful Braii, here it is, with a great South African sauce that everyone was nearly fighting over.

These are Eland backstraps. They were good, but the fillets were much better. Eland tastes a lot like beef.

IMG_20130713_200632_478_zps3992e3ff.jpg

We called this "Ball Sauce" in a vain attempt to get younger hunters in the camp to quit eating it, leaving more for us! (See the name? And you thought we were being ornery!) ;)

IMG_20130715_190315_798_zps266da3f1.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I LOVED the vehicles they had. The Land Cruisers were all re-built wrecks done by the ranch owner's father. He had a huge body shop in Polokwane. He rebuilt them and then customized them with lift kits, larger tires with good floatation for the sand, stronger springs and shackles, winches, lights, and snorkel kits, to ingest air as high as possible to stay out of the dust. The bolstered suspensions came in handy when carrying a large giraffe plus 4 or 5 guides!

IMG_20130715_111401_900_zpsce43f8b2.jpg

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I LOVED the vehicles they had. The Land Cruisers were all re-built wrecks done by the ranch owner's father. He had a huge body shop in Polokwane. He rebuilt them and then customized them with lift kits, larger tires with good floatation for the sand, stronger springs and shackles, winches, lights, and snorkel kits, to ingest air as high as possible to stay out of the dust. The bolstered suspensions came in handy when carrying a large giraffe plus 4 or 5 guides!
    Just curious, why would they want to carry a giraffe? Do they hunt them too?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I really like the from the field hunting trip threads.

thanks for sharing

a friend of mine just got back from Namibia where he killed a nice bull elephant and an ostrich. The ostrich was for leather to make his wife a purse.. I'd say that was a pretty good trade. Elephant hunting trip for an ostrich purse....

Top Bottom